Peep Show Series 3, UK region 2

I’ve been trying to RIP a DVD to my hard drive using AnyDVD. When I start the RIP I immediately get an error saying “Read Error! Ignore read errors?”. If I say “Yes” it reads for a short time and I then get the error “GetMapping failed!”. I press OK and it continues very slowly estimating about 3 hours to read the disc. If I leave it running overnight then I find that at some point the PC has crashed and rebooted.

Trying to use other programs to read the DVD with AnyDVD active also fails.

Any suggestions of what to do?

Thanks

Martin

====================================================================================

DVD is “Peep Show Series 3”, region 2, UK, released a few weeks ago :

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/857708/Peep_Show_Series_3/Product.html

DVD reader/writer is LITE-ON COMBO LTC-48161H, ont sure how to get the firmware version

OS Windows XP Pro SP2

Status info from AnyDVD after inserting the disc :

Summary for drive D: (AnyDVD 6.0.8.5)
Drive (Hardware) Region: 2

Media is a Data DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 2060352 sectors (4024 MBytes)
Total size: 4068254 sectors (7945 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: PEEP_SHOW_3
Media is not CSS protected.
Video Standard: PAL
Media is locked to region(s): 2!

RCE protection not found.
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Structural copy protection not found.
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 2!

I might suspect that you may have a “Bad” Source Disc

• so let’s get that - out of the way -

Inspect the Disc and try cleaning it - even if it doesn’t look like it needs it.

If this doesn’t prove successful …
Use the [B]VSOInspector[/B] to scan the Disc ( it’s Free )
http://www.vso-software.fr/products/inspector/inspector.php

If the Inspector reports "READ Errors"
Then you’ll know that you’ve come across a “BAD” Source Disc .
I would then suggest that you acquire a different copy
… and compare your results .

:slight_smile:

Your AnyDVD summary shows that the disc is [B]not[/B] CSS protected, nor are there any structural or bad sector protections. Soooo, you don’t really need AnyDVD, do ya?

Just try to copy it over and see what happens. Though I also suspect the disc has a flaw, it’s worth a shot.

To get the size down to that of a DVD recordable you will need something like CloneDVD though.

Summary for drive D: (AnyDVD 6.0.8.5)
Drive (Hardware) Region: 2

Media is a Data DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 2060352 sectors (4024 MBytes)
Total size: 4068254 sectors (7945 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: PEEP_SHOW_3
[B]Media is not CSS protected.[/B]
Video Standard: PAL
Media is locked to region(s): 2!

[B]RCE protection not found.
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Structural copy protection not found.
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Bad sector protection not found.[/B]
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 2!

Thanks for the suggestions

The disc plays fine in a regular DVD player so I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it. I don’t want to buy another to find out as all I’m trying to do is convert it to play on my iPod.

I ran a surface scan with VSOInspector and it listed more than half the sectors (2,151,472 of 4,068,254) as giving read errors. This seemed like a lot but I used the data to build a protected sector list for DVD Decrypter, imported it and then ripped the files with that. Without the protected sector list file DVD Decrypter would fail pretty quickly but with the file it read the disc quickly and the result plays fine on the PC. There doesn’t seem to be anything missing.

So, I don’t think the disc is faulty, it just has a huge number of bad sectors. When these are read they appear to be CSS encrypted but DVD Decrypter, etc. can’t find a key to decode them. The good sectors are not encrypted at all.

There are about 3 different Macrovision logos on the back - “RipGuard”, “ACP” and “CP”.

Why does AnyDVD think there is no bad sector protection? Why can’t it cope with this disc?

Martin

Why don’t you send IFOs so we can check?

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=888927&postcount=29

My guess is that you are backing up a copy and not the original DVD. Did you buy it “grey market” or are you copying your own backup of your own original, or maybe you don’t want to elaborate. Whatever backup program was used to make your copy has changed the structure of the original DVD.

Anyway, just use your original to make a backup or turn off AnyDVD to copy your copy.

It’s the original disc I bought from the link in my first message.

If I switch off AnyDVD and try to copy the files I soon get a read error with a big negative number : -2xxxxxxxx, can’t remember exactly but googling it I found it’s the error Windows reports when you try to read an encrypted file from a DVD.

I’ll send the IFOs to Slysoft and see what they make of it.

Spiny -

Did you not read Forum Member shannon90210 comment in posting #2 concerning VSOInspector and READ Errors?

You used AnyDVD, DVD Decrypter and VSOInspector, which ALL revealed that your particular copy of PEEP_SHOW_3 contained Read Errors. This means that your particular copy of PEEP_SHOW_3 was defectively manufactured and contains Read Errors and these Read Errors prevent you from making a useable backup copy. Your particular copy of PEEP_SHOW_3 is defective !

If you desire that make a backup copy of PEEP_SHOW_3 you are going to need the return your particular copy of PEEP_SHOW_3 for a refund and get another copy.

BeLooken

BeLooken : The disc is not defective. It plays perfectly in a regular DVD player and when I use the PSL file I created with DVD Decrypter it rips perfectly onto my hard drive without any help from AnyDVD (as I wrote in my second posting if you read through that). It just seems that AnyDVD can’t cope with it.

Martin

Spiny -

I stand corrected. I originally miss read your #4 posting but in re-reading your posting I understand my mistake.

BeLooken