Peculiar Problem with DVDFAB Platinum

hi,
i hv faced a peculiar problem with DVDFAB (tried different versions also but currently using the latest 5.2.3.0) with 2 region 1 dvds:
1.Journey to the center of the earth–2d version
2.scorpion king 2 rise of a warrior
DVDFab scans the disk for a long time & finally in the info screen shows:Disc not opened.No protection removal or bad sector removal messages are displayed.But in the main screen the actual size of the movie starts to show & then u can copy both the movies fine on your HDD or dvd.
what can be the reason for this ?

I can’t tell you what the problem is but I can say I have backed up both of these movies (as well as the 3D side of Journey) without a problem with older versions of DVDFab. Could be the DVD’s are defective but the odds of both of them being defective are kind of high. If you’ve recently upgraded to 5.2.3.0 you may need a clean uninstall and reinstall. You can find instructions on how to do this in a separate thread.

[QUOTE=rohiniro;2199614]hi,
i hv faced a peculiar problem with DVDFAB (tried different versions also but currently using the latest 5.2.3.0) with 2 region 1 dvds:
DVDFab scans the disk for a long time & finally in the info screen shows:Disc not opened.No protection removal or bad sector removal messages are displayed.But in the main screen the actual size of the movie starts to show & then u can copy both the movies fine on your HDD or dvd.
what can be the reason for this ?[/QUOTE]

Are you putting the DVD in the drive before you load DVDFab? Or After?

What mode are you using? Main Movie? Full Disk? Split?

You say ‘the info screen shows:’ What info screen?

You say ‘in the main screen the actual size of the movie starts’…What exactly is ‘the actual size of the movie’?

With answers to these questions, we can start to help you.

O’C

:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Miami;2199630]I can’t tell you what the problem is but I can say I have backed up both of these movies (as well as the 3D side of Journey) without a problem with older versions of DVDFab. Could be the DVD’s are defective but the odds of both of them being defective are kind of high. If you’ve recently upgraded to 5.2.3.0 you may need a clean uninstall and reinstall. You can find instructions on how to do this in a separate thread.[/QUOTE]

Although it may seem like it if you do a quick once-over in some of these threads, you may come to the conclusion that we request a lot of uninstalls and reinstalls.

Such is not the case, however.

This individual hasn’t even described his problem fully, yet.

I would be most interested in learning your reasoning for suggesting what you did. He is liable to read your answer, and do the re-install, and from where I sit… for no good reason.

Any comments?

O’C

I agree with O’C. This sounds more like a system conflict at the disc I/O level. Try setting DVDFab I/O control to SPTI instead of Auto, turn off the read ahead cache and turn off the preview window auto-start (both checkboxes). All these controls are in Common Settings. If it works then, enable them one at a time. The complete manual uninstall gets recommended a lot but is usually not necessary and should be considered as a last resort when nothing else works, including just reinstalling DVDFab.

O Canada,
Oh well, now it’s my turn to get flamed, eh.
I’ll keep my reinstall option under wraps for now.
Maybe I missed it but your banner didn’t say anything about forum moderator.

[QUOTE=rohiniro;2199614]hi,
what can be the reason for this ?[/QUOTE]

[B]MIAMI[/B]

No flaming - just interested in knowing what you read into this that I couldn’t.

I’ve moved the whole original post down so you can refer to it as necessary. Everything from ‘DVDFab scans the disk… to …on your HDD or dvd.’ I am having a problem understanding just what he is saying.

Can you explain it?

Please advise.

O’C

hi,
sorry for the delay.was not in town .
1.By Info screen…i mean the info option in Common settings of DVDFAB which shows the region & types of protection removed of the movie.the message which i am getting here is:Disc not opened.
2.The main screen… is the main screen of DVDFAB from where u can select to back up the movie onto a DVD5 or 9.Here the full size of the dvd is displayed in spite of the “disc not opened” message.
3.I am using the full disc back up option.
4.I tried to load the movie in both ways…once with dvdfab already running & inserting the dvd ;then loading dvdfab after inserting the dvd.
5.I have not done a clean re install of DVDFAB as i am not facing this problem with any other movies(backed up Eagle eye & Prince caspian today without any problems).
regards.

[QUOTE=rohiniro;2202661]hi,
sorry for the delay.was not in town .
1.By Info screen…i mean the info option in Common settings of DVDFAB which shows the region & types of protection removed of the movie.the message which i am getting here is:Disc not opened.
2.The main screen… is the main screen of DVDFAB from where u can select to back up the movie onto a DVD5 or 9.Here the full size of the dvd is displayed in spite of the “disc not opened” message.
3.I am using the full disc back up option.
4.I tried to load the movie in both ways…once with dvdfab already running & inserting the dvd ;then loading dvdfab after inserting the dvd.
5.I have not done a clean re install of DVDFAB as i am not facing this problem with any other movies(backed up Eagle eye & Prince caspian today without any problems).
regards.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like it might be a problem with just those movies. Do they play OK?

If you were, in fact, finally able to back them up, I wouldn’t worry about it… just treat it as an idiosyncracy of those DVDs.

O’C