PCouffin refuses to install on my machine

Vista x64. I can’t get PCouffin drivers to install. I found a thread where a guy had a similar problem in 2007, but nothing is working for me. Here’s what I’ve done:

(1) Uninstall DVDFab thru Start Menu link
(2) Remove VSO devices from system manager
(3) Search hard drive for DVDFab, PCSetup, Pcouffin, and VSO and delete all instances
(4) Search registry for DVDFab and PCouffin and delete all instances
(5) Empty recycle bin
(6) Defrag
(7) Reboot
(8) Make sure hard drive, registry, and device manager are still clear of all the above
(9) Reinstall DVDFab

I’ve done that several times over the last few days, starting with whatever the latest official release is, then with 6.1.0.6, 6.1.08, and 6.1.0.9.

That hasn’t worked, so I just repeated all the above except for leaving DVDFab itself alone. Then I ran

“C:\Program Files (x86)\DVDFab 6\PcSetup.exe” /install

Went to device manager. PCouffin shows up under VSO devices, but disabled. I enable it, it says it can’t find the driver. I choose to browse, and point it to the PCouffin.inf file that PcSetup created. It gives me this error:

“There is no driver selected for the device information set or element.”

I’m stuck. Any thoughts?

after running:

C:\Program Files (x86)\DVDFab 6\PcSetup.exe" /install

what is in the log:

My Documents\PcSetup\PcSetup.log

6/23/2009 9:30:51 PM info ******************** Report session closed *********************
6/23/2009 9:30:51 PM error Report: [UpdateDriverForPlugAndPlayDevicesW failed with error 0xE0000203h: “(null)”]
6/23/2009 9:30:51 PM error error 9FFFFDFD [Failed to install/update the driver. Unknown error]
6/23/2009 9:30:51 PM info No driver has been found on the system. Trying to install new driver
6/23/2009 9:30:51 PM info Installing patin-couffin driver
6/23/2009 9:30:50 PM info ParamStr 1 = "/install"
6/23/2009 9:30:50 PM info ParamStr 0 = "C:\Program Files (x86)\DVDFab 6\PcSetup.exe"
6/23/2009 9:30:50 PM info User default language : 1033 (0x0409h) - English (United States)
6/23/2009 9:30:50 PM info System default language : 1033 (0x0409h) - English (United States)
6/23/2009 9:30:50 PM info Version 1.37.0.94
6/23/2009 9:30:50 PM info ExeName : "C:\Program Files (x86)\DVDFab 6\PcSetup.exe"
6/23/2009 9:30:50 PM info OS : Microsoft Vista Professional Service Pack 1 (Build 6001)
6/23/2009 9:30:50 PM info ******************** Report session started ********************

try running pcsetup in the DOS prompt with these commands after it.

/remove4 - this will remove the current VSO drivers on your system

/install4 - this will install the latest drivers that came with dvdfab

[B][U]how to[/U][/B]

[ul]
[li]start menu[/li][li]run[/li][li]cmd.exe[/li][li]cd\program Files\DVDFab 6[/li][li]pcsetup.exe /remove4[/li][li]pcsetup.exe /install4[/li][/ul]

does the log show the same

Exact same error. Strange. There are enough people running this on Vista x64 that I know it’s not a problem inherent to DVDFab or PCouffin. Must be something specific to my machine, but the error messages aren’t helpful enough to diagnose what’s happening. When that guy in the 2007 thread fixed it by deleting those reg keys, it sounded exactly like my problem and I thought for sure it would fix it.

I don’t run AV software, as I’ve found it to be more difficult to extract from my system than any virus I’ve ever had. I just use Windows Firewall and Windows Defender. It’s not acting like it’s blocking the installation. I also have UAC running, but suppressing the prompt for admins.

You know, I could swear that a few days ago when I did a clean uninstall of DVDFab, I manually deleted PCouffin.sys from my Windows directory… either root, System32, or System32/drivers. There’s not instance of PCouffin.sys there now. I wonder if I manually copied it there… ?

Got it!

I went to the Windows/INF folder and found that OEM31.inf and OEM31.pnf were referring to PCouffin and were dated 6/4/09… the date of my original DVDFab installation. So I moved these over to an external drive, reran PCsetup, and it asked me to install the software. Still showing no driver under device manager, but this time when I told it to update and pointed to PCouffin.inf, it worked.

It’s burning a DVD right now using the VSO engine. What a relief… I’ve been trying to figure this out for 3 evenings.

I wonder why the oem32.inf/pnf files were “stuck?” I skip the registry cleaner step in the uninstall guide… I don’t trust them… and I just manually search for and delete entries with DVDFab and PCouffin. I wonder if a registry cleaner would have removed whatever was pointing to the outdated oem32.inf?

glad you got it working