PCMCIA Dead

Just got a Presario 2170US and can’t get the PCMCIA slot to recognize anything. Device Manager shows it properly installed with 02Micro OZ6912 CardBus Controller. Uninstalling and rebooting gets the same thing. No drivers on HP driver page for this model. USB’s and everything else work OK. Want PCMCIA for WiFi card.

Any ideas to bget PCMCIA to work?

Thanks,

jtnt

What shows up in the bios? What operating system are you using? I don’t know the specs of your laptop but are you trying 16 or 32 bit pcmcia cards? I have had some problems with IRQ conflicts when using pcmcia, especially when under XP (you might want to check what’s being used). Sometimes to test I’ll use a linux distro like Puppy. Can your laptop boot from CD?

Did you first install the software for the adapter before plugging it in?

[QUOTE=eric93se;2471454]Did you first install the software for the adapter before plugging it in?[/QUOTE]

No, but I never had to that with these cards on other machines. I tried a different card that apparently went into the slot just a little further and the Presario did know that something was there and said it was a PCMCIA MTD-0002. A search on that shows that is some sort of error code indicating a bad PCMCIA hook up.

Still searching

Thanks for the reply.

htnt

[QUOTE=Whappo;2471425]What shows up in the bios? What operating system are you using? I don’t know the specs of your laptop but are you trying 16 or 32 bit pcmcia cards? I have had some problems with IRQ conflicts when using pcmcia, especially when under XP (you might want to check what’s being used). Sometimes to test I’ll use a linux distro like Puppy. Can your laptop boot from CD?[/QUOTE]

Same cards work fine in another Presario of same type; and can boot from Bios.

Situation has changed some; see my comment to eric93se reply.

Thanks
jtnt