PCM soundtrack to ipod video format

I am attempting to convert a DVD containing music videos (Now that’s what I call music 1 or Madonna 93-99) with a linear PCM sound track into ipod video.

The mpeg 4 file is terrible, the sound and video is slow, the sound is at 1/10th speed and the sound is out of synch with the video.

If I convert a DVD such as Mariah Carey’s #1 hits, and use the AC-3 encoding, it works fine but the linear PCM soundtrack is terrible again.

Is it possible convert PCM encoded DVDs to MPEG files with acceptable quality?

[QUOTE=SPHinTampa;2272505]I am attempting to convert a DVD containing music videos (Now that’s what I call music 1 or Madonna 93-99) with a linear PCM sound track into ipod video.

The mpeg 4 file is terrible, the sound and video is slow, the sound is at 1/10th speed and the sound is out of synch with the video.

If I convert a DVD such as Mariah Carey’s #1 hits, and use the AC-3 encoding, it works fine but the linear PCM soundtrack is terrible again.

Is it possible convert PCM encoded DVDs to MPEG files with acceptable quality?[/QUOTE]

I might be able to help you if you can help me a bit.

Scenario:

DVDs (music videos, motion pictures, etc.), in order to have the DVD Logo on the package, must be compliant with the DVD Standard. That standard spells out the disc format, file formats, IFO contents, etc. etc. This includes Dolby Digital as the audio ‘format-of-choice’ (.AC3).

Moving right along: DVDFab (especially the DVD to Mobile conversion section) is supposed to take DVD compliant files and convert them for various mobile devices (including AC3 audio).

Now: If the DVD you are trying to convert is an LPCM-only audio track, and the sync is off, converting it to another format won’t fix the sync problem. If the DVD you are trying to convert has an AC3 track, you’d be better advised to stick with that. (especially if it is more or less in sync with the video.)

There are programs out there that will fix sync problems, but they all rely on the video and audio timing flags embedded in the VOBs, and if the music video you have was mastered poorly (out of sync), it’s going to take more expensive equipment and expertise than we all usually have to fix that.

Question: Does your problem seem to fit in this anywhere?

P.S. Where did that MPEG-4 file come from?

OC

:eek:

On the two DVDs that I am having trouble with, the only sound option is the PCM soundtrack, there is no AC-3 soundtrack.

The DVD has the official DVD logo on it and the Dolby Digital logo.

It is the “Now That’s What I Call Music DVD”, published by EMI.

I don’t think the original is poorly synched because it plays just fine. DVDFab appears to struggle to convert the LCPM soundtrack.

[QUOTE=SPHinTampa;2275471]On the two DVDs that I am having trouble with, the only sound option is the PCM soundtrack, there is no AC-3 soundtrack.

The DVD has the official DVD logo on it and the Dolby Digital logo.

It is the “Now That’s What I Call Music DVD”, published by EMI.

I don’t think the original is poorly synched because it plays just fine. DVDFab appears to struggle to convert the LCPM soundtrack.[/QUOTE]

I may get into trouble for doing this, but what the heck. I don’t think VideoFab can do this type of disc (if anyone here knows otherwise, I’m sure to get jumped on for that statement).

So I’m going to have to recommend another product (DVDFab won’t do this either…I think)

CloneCD should be able to handle both your LPCM audio tracks as well as the video tracks on that music DVD.

If anyone here knows a way of getting either Fab to work, please let us know.

OC

:slight_smile:

Thank you.

I think I was not clear in my original question. I am not trying to just get just the soundtrack, I want the sound and video - hence the statement about the MPEG-4 file not working.