PCIe USB3 controller card

I am planning to get WD My Book Essential 3.0 2GB that uses USB3. I am looking for PCIe card to be able to use its High speed USB3 capability and added to my PC.
My question is, which one is better:
a) one with BUILT in POWER or
b) one which needs a SEPARATE power source via Molex 4 pin.
I saw one without and most with a separate power like the Buffalo, NEC , Transcend and Lacie ,etc… If I use these with power I need an extension from the spare molex I have to connect as the PCIe x4 is the bottom most slot on the motherboard (DELL XPS 420 pc). No problem on that tho.

You should have one eSATA port on the back of your DELL XPS 420
Is there a specific reason you getting a usb 3.0 drive? Otherwise, a eSATA drive should be just as fast, if not faster and you wouldnt have to buy an add-on card

[QUOTE=adict2jane;2583133]You should have one eSATA port on the back of your DELL XPS 420
Is there a specific reason you getting a usb 3.0 drive? Otherwise, a eSATA drive should be just as fast, if not faster and you wouldnt have to buy an add-on card[/QUOTE]

Yeah, there 's one but in use. Connected to it is a external DVD RW drive. The 5 internal also in use (2 Optical drives and three internal HDD) As i mentioned above I like to get a new 2TB storage mentioned above that uses USB 3.0. Its backward compatible but I’d like to have USB3 added till I be able to upgrade my PC.

I just ordered few minutes ago “Transcend PCIe Interface USB 3.0 Dual expansion” card from Amazon for £12.47 and a 20 cm Molex expansion cable for £1.09. Not bad.
I thought I buy the ones with the the molex power input just in case I use a USB power hungry hardware in the future.

I am not sure tho if performance wise its better than the ones without.

I think you should get one with a molex connector, the usb3.0 standard I think can allow more power to transfer through the cable.

I would have to agree with adict2jane, to get a card with eSATA. But if USB3 is what you want then I would go for this card:
Rosewill 2-Port USB 3.0 PCI Express Card Model RC-505

I just committed to switching [I]from[/I] USB-2.0 for my external drives to eSATA
as I just bought three eSATA enclosures.

With eSATA available I’m still wondering what question was USB-3.0 supposed to be the answer to?

on a desktop computer? I’m drawing a blank…

I can see a purpose to USB-3.0 on a NOTEBOOK computer (since nobody seems to put eSATA jacks on notebooks… but there aren’t any USB-3.0 notebooks either, so…

And there are just so many USB-3.0 drive enclosures on the market… (Sarchasm)

All I really see here is a rush to adopt the “new thing”

Choice is the name of the game I think. Not confine yourself to one connectivity. There are Hardwares that do not have eSATA connectivity as i found out long ago when SATA has just become the norm. It pains me to find an enclosure for my eSATA redundant drive . Now its the standard. USB 3.0 is the new thing and few external drives only have them. It would have been best to have an eSATA and USB3 connectivityand Firewire . In my case the drive I wanna buy (WD My BOOK Essential 3, 2TB) only needs USB 3.0 be it backwards compatible. So, AllanDEGoot, my friend there’s still a case to answer :):). Reason why I needed a PCIe added for this drive to get its full potential.

@eric93se> much that i wanted to buy your recommendation, it’s too late as I already bought the Transcend PCIe card controller. I lived in UK btw so Newegg becomes Ebuyer or Amazon lol!

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2583171]

With eSATA available I’m still wondering what question was USB-3.0 supposed to be the answer to?

on a desktop computer? I’m drawing a blank…

I can see a purpose to USB-3.0 on a NOTEBOOK computer (since nobody seems to put eSATA jacks on notebooks… but there aren’t any USB-3.0 notebooks either, so…

And there are just so many USB-3.0 drive enclosures on the market… (Sarchasm)

All I really see here is a rush to adopt the “new thing”[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I missed your point there.
Yeah, I agree why invent USB3 when eSATA delivers 6GB? There’s rumour too that NO INTEL chipset with USB3 until 2012. That tells you if SSUSB will ever taken off.
Oh well, £12 .xx pounds is not too much to waste trying it. My PCIe x4 &x8 is empty so I can add more eSATA if needed.

Thanks for the insight!

[QUOTE=Ripperfreak;2583087]I am planning to get WD My Book Essential 3.0 2GB that uses USB3. I am looking for PCIe card to be able to use its High speed USB3 capability and added to my PC.
My question is, which one is better:
a) one with BUILT in POWER or
b) one which needs a SEPARATE power source via Molex 4 pin.
I saw one without and most with a separate power like the Buffalo, NEC , Transcend and Lacie ,etc… If I use these with power I need an extension from the spare molex I have to connect as the PCIe x4 is the bottom most slot on the motherboard (DELL XPS 420 pc). No problem on that tho.[/QUOTE]

For your MyBook Essential USB 3.0 hard drive, you don’t need the card that needs a separate power source. That’s because the drive already has its own AC power source. That said, however, the card that requires a power connection is useful in case you want to use a USB 3.0 drive that draws power directly from the USB port.

The WD My Book Essential line of drives is USB only, unfortunately: There is no eSATA or Firewire connectivity at all whatsoever on that particular line of external drives.

[QUOTE=RJL65;2583207]For your MyBook Essential USB 3.0 hard drive, you don’t need the card that needs a separate power source. That’s because the drive already has its own AC power source. That said, however, the card that requires a power connection is useful in case you want to use a USB 3.0 drive that draws power directly from the USB port.

The WD My Book Essential line of drives is USB only, unfortunately: There is no eSATA or Firewire connectivity at all whatsoever on that particular line of external drives.[/QUOTE]

This one has.

[QUOTE=Ripperfreak;2583224]This one has.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Firewire-eSata-External/dp/B000W9KHOI[/QUOTE]

That is an older model that is now no longer available new. And in addition to eSATA and Firewire 400, that drive has USB 2.0 but not USB 3.0.

[QUOTE=Ripperfreak;2583190]Sorry, I missed your point there.
Yeah, I agree why invent USB3 when eSATA delivers 6GB? There’s rumour too that NO INTEL chipset with USB3 until 2012. That tells you if SSUSB will ever taken off.
Oh well, £12 .xx pounds is not too much to waste trying it. My PCIe x4 &x8 is empty so I can add more eSATA if needed.

Thanks for the insight![/QUOTE]

My point is that rushing to any “new” standard can leave you with a bunch of hardware of dubious long term utility… and being “new” it also tends to be more expensive…

Like I said, I just switched to eSATA, I got a “deal” on them
such a good deal I bought a bunch more (3 my first order 14 on my second order)

I remain unsure about eSATAp which combines USB2.0 with eSATA.

But eSATAp enclosures are running >$40 each

Being a DUAL-standard I suspect it will be more successful, but even the “new” exernal enclosures I just bought have USB2.0 (5pin Mini) as well as eSATA and a seperate 5V power jack…
So the enclosures I bought will be useful either way.

I never got suckered by 8track tapes, Laser Disc video or VHS-HD
I see no reason why I should jump to USB3.0 before all the MoBo
makers have adopted it.

As to the specifics of a controller card? I tend to prefer cards that
have a seperate power jack.

I’ve thrown away Firewire cards that don’t have a power jack
and won’t buy a any eSATA card without a dedicated power feed.
I just don’t like running much power through those PCIe contacts.

If I were only running notebook drives that draw all of 2.5 watts I wouldn’t worry about it, but with a desktop drive? or a DVD burner?

AD

Some New Laptops have USB3 as standard ie, Samsung, HP, Asus, etc. Let alone the numerous Flash Drives or memory sticks around. I still believe that this USB3 thing will replace USB2 in one or two years on new hardwares as they are backward compatible also so no danger of making your old USB2 hardwares obsolete destined to the recycle bin…
There is a 2xeSATA and 2xUSB3 PCIe combo available for only £30 plus. Cheap and would render you future proof too :slight_smile:
Can’t follow you AD in throwing away my Firewire just yet. My old SONY camera still uses that connectivity. So till I upgraded to the HDD cameras. It stays.

I said “firewire cards WITHOUT a power jack on them” (Emphasis added)

I don’t like running power through just the finger contacts on a PCIe.

I could care less about burning contacts on a $20 card, but my feeling about
my $200 MoBo’s connectors is a bit different…

Most of the USB-3.0 cards I’ve seen have either a four pin “IDE” Molex Jack on them
but I’ve also seen them with a jack for a floppy drive power cord.

I’d be happy with either to take strain off those thin finger contacts on the PCIe

but I wouldn’t buy a card without a power jack, and if I wouldn’t buy a card without a power jack
I certainly won’t recommend buying one without…

AD