PCI USB2.0 adaptors USB2 or not USB2

vbimport

I have an MSI 6337 which doesn’t know about USB2.0 but it knows about USB1.1

My local retailer wouldn’t sell me a USB2.0 adaptor (seriously!) because “it won’t run in USB2.0 mode”…huh? I thought that was the point of the adaptor or does there HAVE to be a USB2.0 chip on the MoBo?

I thought there was an on-board USB2.0 chip?!

My IEEE1394 card runs OK and the MSI 6337 knows nothing about FireWire…

H/W gurus please help

I’ve never heard of this before. A PCI card with a USB2 controller on it, is independable from the USB controller on your mainboard. It’s just an inteface card, no more no less.

If you plug in an USB1.x device, your USB2.0 controller switches to the older USB1.x mode, but if you got separate controllers there’s no problem.

Theoretically, it could be that there are some compatibility issues between your mainboard and this particular card, but the chances are very small.

I guess: go out and buy the card. If it doesn’t work, just take it back to the store :).

I have an MSI 6337 which doesn’t know about USB2.0 but it knows about USB1.1

i don’t totally understand what u said there, but i’ll assume u’re trying to say that ur motherboard has onboard usb 1.1, but not usb 2.0.

My local retailer wouldn’t sell me a USB2.0 adaptor (seriously!) because “it won’t run in USB2.0 mode”…huh? I thought that was the point of the adaptor or does there HAVE to be a USB2.0 chip on the MoBo?

what type of adapter are u referring to? some type of A-to-B adapter? or perhaps a pci card that would add usb 2.0 ports?

I thought there was an on-board USB2.0 chip?!

My IEEE1394 card runs OK and the MSI 6337 knows nothing about FireWire…

i looked up the specs if ur motherboard, and it only has onboard usb 1.1. this doesn’t mean that ur system can’t support usb 2.0, but u’d need a pci card that would add usb 2.0 ports. u’ve already done something similar to this with ur firewire card.

[ul][]I have USB1.1 on-board[]I have a PCI FireWire card that works even though the MoBo doesn’t understand FW[]I assumed that a PCI USB2.0 card would work because presumably, there is a USB2.0 chipset on the PCI Card[]My retailer is a numpty when it comes to technology[*]Given that there is no skerrick of FW on my MoBo I am asking if a USB2.0 FW will give me USB2.0 speeds[/ul][url=http://www.ht.com.au/Scripts/xworks.exe?PART:D8945#Tof[example

For the CD Freaks reviews I was first using an Asus K7V motherboard which only supported USB 1.1. I then added a NEC USB 2.0 Controller and USB 2.0 was fully supported, burning up to 46X (my computer was too slow to handle faster speeds at the time). Luckily I now have on board USB 2.0 :wink:

First of all go back to the shop and slap the guy around a bit, He’s a moron.

That is the point of purchasing of the adapter (usb2.0 PCI card) to get usb2.0.