Pc to pc

vbimport

I would like help to do this. I want to connect 2 pc’s together, so i can store all my music and dvds on the one, oh and photo’s and access them from my main computer. Thus freeing up all my disc space again, CAN I DO THIS PLEASE.

There are two easy ways:

1. with an external HDD (swapping it from a PC to another)
  2. through a network connection.

If both computers have a network card (NIC), then you only need a cable to connect both machines.

Once you connect two machines with a cable, you only need to set permissions for a folder or for the entire HDD in each computer, so files can be moved between both machines.

If one of the two computers is connected to internet via a network cable and that machine has only a single net port, then you need also a hub/switch.

Many Ethernet switches are already provided of a switch, so you can simply connect both computers to the router and that’s all. However, most routers have only a 10/100 hub, and if you need to move a lot of files, maybe is better to buy a gigabit router (providing that network cards in both computers are gigabit of course) :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=geno888;2504070]If both computers have a network card (NIC), then you only need a cable to connect both machines.[/QUOTE]
This sort of cable is not a standard ethernet cable like you would use to connect your PC to a router, but what is called a “null modem cable”. Unless you are a proficient techie, I would not advise you to use this option; setting up a network connection between 2 PCs in this manner is problematical at the best of times.

If you want to go down the network path, use a router with built-in DHCP (most have this feature these days) then you should be able to just plug in and go. If you have a cable or broadband internet connection then your ISP will probably have provided you with a combined modem/router as part of your setup package which will do the job.

Slainte

midders

Thank you for your advice, so i only need to connect the other pc to the router is that right?

yep :iagree:

Once both computers are connected to the router, select all the folders that have to be shared between the two machines. Simply right click on each folder and select “Sharing and Security”. Then check the “Share this folder” option and press OK.

You can share also the entire disk and not a single folder, it is your choice :slight_smile:

Now you can open windows manager and type the IP address of the NIC card of the other machine.

For example,

PC1 has a NIC card with 192.168.1.10 IP
PC2 has a NIC card with 192.168.1.11 IP

to connect from the PC1 to the PC2, you have to type

\192.168.1.11\

Then you should see all the shared folders.

If there are no shared folders, you will see nothing of course :wink:

Alternatively, you can right click on the desktop and select [B]New[/B] --> [B]Shortcut[/B]. There browse the network places and locate the shared folders. In this way, you can go directly to the shared folder simply double clicking on the desktop shortcut :slight_smile:

You need no “patch cable” (ethernet cable) but a crossover cable to connect 2 computers with ethernet cards together.
AFAIK, a “nullmodem cable” is a crossed rs232 serial cable.

You could also make your own 24/7 Network Attached Storage using an old pc with a very small harddisk (for the operating system) and a really big harddisk (for the shared data) with the aid of FreeNAS.

I also recommend using a switch so you can connect more than two computers together.

[QUOTE=chef;2504213]You need no “patch cable” (ethernet cable) but a crossover cable to connect 2 computers with ethernet cards together.
AFAIK, a “nullmodem cable” is a crossed rs232 serial cable.[/QUOTE]
A thousand apologies :slight_smile: I meant to say a crossover cable; the point was that it is not a standard cat5 ethernet cable, but one with the important wires crossed.

[QUOTE=midders;2504837][B]A thousand apologies[/B] :slight_smile: I meant to say a crossover cable; the point was that it is not a standard cat5 ethernet cable, but one with the important wires crossed.[/QUOTE]

No need to, my friend. Making mistakes is just human.