PC SuperDrive won't Accept RAM Discs Any longer

vbimport

A strange thing has begun happening and I don’t know what to do.

My pc’s RAM capable drive will no longer recognize the RAM discs I own. It will play any commercial discs, as well as burned discs it’s made as well as those made by my set top dvd recorders. But when I put in a RAM disc, it never loads or shows up under the drive icon in My Computer.
Burning dvds works still. I even pulled out several older RAMs that I haven’t used heavily, thinking that maybe the ones that were regularly used may have accumulated defects that I can’t see-despite working just fine in the set top recorders. Those aren’t working either.

If the drive were failing, shouldn’t it display problems with all discs, not just RAM?

Drive specs

HP DVD Writer 840b
[“IDE:2:0\?\IDE#CdRomHP_DVD_Writer_840b_HI86____#5&1c5c6e99&4&0.0.0#{1186654d-47b8-48b9-beb9-7df113ae3c67}”]

Driver C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\cdrom.sys
Driver Provider Microsoft
Version 5.1.2535.0, 7-1-2001
Drive Letter E
Product Revision Level HI86
Readable Media CD, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM, DVD+R, DVD+R DL, DVD+RW
Writable Media CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM, DVD+R, DVD+R DL, DVD+RW
Write Strategy TAO SAO RAW-MS RAW

Any help sorting this out would be greaty appreciated. Thank you.

[QUOTE=Webbermon;2145247]A strange thing has begun happening and I don’t know what to do.

My pc’s RAM capable drive will no longer recognize the RAM discs I own. It will play any commercial discs, as well as burned discs it’s made as well as those made by my set top dvd recorders. But when I put in a RAM disc, it never loads or shows up under the drive icon in My Computer.
Burning dvds works still. I even pulled out several older RAMs that I haven’t used heavily, thinking that maybe the ones that were regularly used may have accumulated defects that I can’t see-despite working just fine in the set top recorders. Those aren’t working either.

If the drive were failing, shouldn’t it display problems with all discs, not just RAM?

Drive specs

Any help sorting this out would be greaty appreciated. Thank you.
[/QUOTE]
Could it be a dirty spindle? I’m not sure on this one, could be a failing drive, could be just a drive in need of cleaning too!

I did wonder if a lens cleaning disc would help, but the strange part is that only RAM discs are not playing. Every other disc still works.

I tried a dvd lens cleaning disc, and it won’t show up either. Sigh. I’d hate to buy a new drive if it’s some software that just needs resetting.

Might be a dirty spindle, do you know how to open the drive?

^^Oh no. My head spins just openning the case and seeing all the wires going everywhere. Is it easy to take the drive out and try cleaning the spindle?

I finally got a response from HP’s Customer support. Here is what they suggested I try…

this issue could be due to the lens is unable to extract the DVD-RAM discs data. The drive lens is not able to produce the wavelength to read the RAM discs.

However, to isolate and resolve the issue I recommend you perform the steps under the “Step 3: Clear registry filters (for Windows XP only):” from the below weblink:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=bph07146

Step 3: Clear registry filters (for Windows XP only):
Clear the registry filters (for Windows XP only):

1. Click Start , Run , and type the following into the Open field: regedit
  2. Click OK . The registry editor appears.
  3. In Windows XP, click File , Export , type a filename that is easy for you to remember, and click Save .
    A copy of the registry has been saved for back-up purposes. You can double-click the export file to restore the registry in the event of a problem.
  4. Click the plus sign ( + ) next to the following items in the listed order:
    * HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    * SYSTEM
    * CurrentControlSet (or the current control set with lowest number if that is all that is listed)
    * Control
    * Class
    Figure 1: Delete: LowerFilters value

Select 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 .

Select UpperFilter in the right window and press the Delete key.
Confirm the deletion by clicking Yes .

Select LowerFilters in the right window and press the Delete key.
Confirm the deletion by clicking Yes .

Close the registry editor, restart the computer , and wait until Windows configures the necessary files.

After Windows is done configuring the new hardware, continue to the next Step; Uninstalling Disc Burning Software.

Then uninstall all burning software and reboot. Then reinstall.
Several RAM discs that I use heavily are now recognized-haven’t been able to test all of them, but at least, this appears to have worked.