PC Speakers

vbimport

The time has come for me to buy some new speakers for the PC.
At the moment I have a Logitech X530 system, which has reasonable sound quality, but the system has developed a fault. The front satellite speakers pick up a radio channel from somewhere in Europe.

At first I thought it was the motherboard, but even with power removed from the PC, and the Logitech X530 in standby, the radio channel can be heard from the front satellite speakers.

The X530’s are a 5 channel solution, but I have decided I don’t need 5 channel, and have decided to go for 2.1 solution (2x fronts + sub woofer).
I have limited space on the desk, so satellites are ideal, with the sub under the desk.

I don’t play games, or watch movies on the PC. I do like my music though.

I’ve been looking at Acoustic Energy Aego M, and can get them at well under retail price.
Their audiophile speakers have many fans, and their Aego M PC speakers get rave reviews.

Acoustic Energy are a UK company, so may not be well known outside of the UK, but does any of you folks have a set, and if so, what are they like?

Or, is there any other set of PC speakers you guys could recommend?

My budget is £120 - £250.
The sub can’t be any larger than 25cm wide - 35cm high - 27cm deep

Not sure if these are available across the pond, but I love my Airmotiv 4 PC speakers. I have them on my desk at work. There’s no sub, but you wouldn’t know it. I’ve had many a people come by the desk and ask where the subwoofer is.

http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_browse/product_detail.asp?urlMaterialNumber=SOUNDSTICKS3AM-A&status=

The HK Sound Sticks are an odd looking thing but never fail to impress. Based on well developed JBL driver technology. They’ve been released in 3 different generations, (I, II, III) and there’s also a newer model with BT connect options.

Readily available for cheap on the used market too. I’ve used 2 different sets and love them. If I was buying today I’d get another set.

Dee,what kind of music you like?
I mean,is an extra unnatural bass reproducing unit like a subwoofer really necessary for you?
Otherwise,you can go for DJ Monitor speakers…they don’t add anything to the original sound.
If the audiofile is crisp clear,you hear it that way,if a music file is bad encoded or ripped,you hear it with those…no gloss over to the original sound.
If I want extra bass,I have to use a software equaliser,but I still love my XPS 2.0 80 speakers…
I’m pretty shure there are better around,but in that price range,no computer speaker can beat them if you like natural sounding music…
If you have some money to spare,maybe you can check those kind of speakers…:smiley:

Um,

it is not necessarily a fault in the X530 system that you receive radio through it.

Though - missus has somekind of cheap 2.1 Logitech system and it buzzes and makes all kind of unfunny noises if using PMR446 radio in the house. And sometimes radio propagation makes that kind of thing happening. I have received “Golos Rossii” longwave station crystal clear with my guitar amplifier.

If you have unnecessarily long speaker cables, trim them down. Also if you have wound them in a loop, it may act as an antenna. If you have an old radio or you have otherwise obtained a ferrite rod/choke, wrap the wiring around it. It should take care of the HF interference.

Dee, adding a clamp on ferrite core to suppress Radio Frequency Interference is a more likely solution.

It is wrong that “loops” form antennae (the plural of antenna)
often a strategically placed loop of wire acts as an FR “Choke” which
does the exact opposite of acting as an antenna.

The problem is likely NOT specific to the speakers but strong radio propagation
which may well affect a similar run of cable to a speaker connected to the same computer and running the same distance and direction in your room.

Specifically the issue is that you have a length of wire that simply chances to be a resonant length at that broadcaster’s frequency.

You might consider contacting a local radio amateur operator to help you solve your issue instead of “throwing money” at the problem.

I could solve that issue for you in a few minutes, but travel across the ocean tends to render impractical my offering direct “in person” help…

A lot of food for thought here. Thanks guys. :flower:

I wish I had room on the desk for just a pair of speakers but I don’t. That’s why I need the small satellite speakers and the sub.

@CDan. Those Harman speakers are a pretty interesting design concept, but won’t match the colour scheme of the rest of my desk.

It’s a real pita that I can’t test out the speakers before purchase, as the only PC speakers I have seen here in the local shops are all very cheap and nasty.

My musical tastes are wide, I like everything from progressive metal to classical.
I have a pair of Yamaha NS10 near field monitors which I use in my home studio, but it’s still nice to have a decent pair of PC speakers to listen to how a musical piece sounds.

I’m using the radio channel pickup on my existing speakers as an excuse to upgrade, so I intend to upgrade anyway. But thanks for pointing out that it could be a screening problem rather than a fault.

I’m in no rush to upgrade, so keep the ideas coming.

If space is an issue,mybe these little guys can get the job done:
Bose Companion 2.0

Still no 2.1 system,though…:disagree:

[QUOTE=roadworker;2706223]If space is an issue,mybe these little guys can get the job done:
Bose Companion 2.0

Still no 2.1 system,though…:disagree:[/QUOTE]
I have a great pair of 2.1 speakers, love em to death

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836852001&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords--pla--Speakers-_-N82E16836852001&gclid=CMrcncettboCFZSk4AoddA4A8Q

[QUOTE=Dee;2706212]
@CDan. Those Harman speakers are a pretty interesting design concept, but won’t match the colour scheme of the rest of my desk.[/QUOTE]

Understood. For me its about the sound 1st. They are made from paintable acrylic though.
:flower:

Dee, have a look at this unit:
http://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/home-and-personal-audio/speakers/computer-speakers/companion-3-speaker-system/

I think it will meet your expectations in sound and style. :iagree:

Bose the brand of choice for people who have FAR more money than common sense.

You can buy more expensive, but you really need to work at it…

I personally have never been disappointed with Logitech speakers.

The ONLY reason the speakers on my main computer system are
Altec-Lansing is because I got a stunningly good deal on a 300watt
5.1 system, that works well enough that I shudder at the thought
of what it will cost to replace them with anything significantly better.

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2706526]Bose the brand of choice for people who have FAR more money than common sense…[/QUOTE]

Let us say this ex cathedra statement reflects a simple kind of approach.
Bose was ranked third for the period of November 2008 to April 2009 with respect to sales in the U.S. for home audio retail and portable audio retail sales. So many lacking common sense, like US Military and NASA that have active contracts with Bose.

[QUOTE=Ulenspiegel;2706601]like US Military and NASA that have active contracts with Bose.[/QUOTE]

And won’t those speakers fit nicely with the $5000 hammers?

And the US government has a demonstrated history of spending our tax dollars wisely? If you really believe that I have nothing else to say…

Ever looked at the actual sale price of one of those heavily advertised “Bose wave radios”? it’s a damned table radio! a table radio that they manage to convince people is worth $350-$500 depending on who you buy it from and which exact model you buy.

I’ll spend $500 on a table radio when it is a model that plays the exact music I’m in the mood for (by reading my mind) and self-adjusts the volume to the perfect level (also by reading my mind).

The same people who buy Bose radios or speakers will also be people likely to buy one of those Dyson bladeless fans, I’m sorry no table fan on earth is worth $350
And I’ve seen one of those fans up close and personal they are not as quiet as claimed.

There is a difference between advertising hyperbole and reality.
and whoever buys this stuff is irrelevant, overpriced is overpriced.

I’m not saying it doesn’t SOUND good, but I am saying you can easily get other speakers that sound as good (or better) for far less money.

[QUOTE=Ulenspiegel;2706601]Let us say this ex cathedra statement reflects a simple kind of approach.
Bose was ranked third for the period of November 2008 to April 2009 with respect to sales in the U.S. for home audio retail and portable audio retail sales. So many lacking common sense, like US Military and NASA that have active contracts with Bose.[/QUOTE]

Beats headphones accounted for 64% of all sales of headphones over $100 in the US last year. Yet reviewers have panned the entry level Beats headphones, which ran/run $150-200. So yes, just because something is popular and sells well doesn’t mean its good.

My Sennheiser HD280’s cost about $80 6 years ago and still only cost around $100 bucks and yet they sound better than the intro level Beats headphones. Similarly, there are AKG’s and Grado’s in the under/around $100 range that sound better than the intro level Beats headphones. It’s about value/dollar to those of use that don’t have unlimited funds and don’t care about buying into marketing and celebrity endorsements.

[QUOTE=yojimbo197;2706611]So yes, just because something is popular and sells well doesn’t mean its good.[/QUOTE]

People are enemies of their own money out of populism.
You made my day.

P.S.: Sennheiser used to be one of the best brands in the world. In Europe in the 70s and 80s professionals in TV/Radio etc. business used exclusively Sennheiser. It was a bad example.

[QUOTE=CDan;2706605]And won’t those speakers fit nicely with the $5000 hammers?[/QUOTE]

Hammers in space? I like the idea.

[QUOTE=Ulenspiegel;2706622]People are enemies of their own money out of populism.
You made my day.

P.S.: Sennheiser used to be one of the best brands in the world. In Europe in the 70s and 80s professionals in TV/Radio etc. business used exclusively Sennheiser. It was an unlucky example.[/QUOTE]

Are they popular now? No. Also, I cited AKG’s and Grado’s as well. Again, its about value/dollar. I’ve had Sony headphones before, used Sennheisers, Grado’s, and AKG’s, besides Koss and other cheapo brands. And I’ve listened to Bose headphones. They are nice, but not simply worth it for the money they charge.

[QUOTE=yojimbo197;2706624]Are they popular now? No.[/QUOTE]

You really make me smile. Sennheiser lost its priviledged situation of the 70s, 80s, but is still a well-known and very popular brand. Sennheiser’s turnover in 2012 was 584 million EUR (in the US: 147 million EUR). Artists who use Sennheiser equipment: SADE, Take That, Muse, Pink, Scorpions, Seal, The Prodigy to name a few.

So, is Sennheiser popular now? Its popularity does not mean it is good?