PC shipments decline for second consecutive year

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: PC shipments decline for second consecutive year[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2016/10/computer-670185_1920-95x75.png[/newsimage]

Microsoft hasn’t succeeded to boost the PC market with Windows 10. Instead, the number of sold PCs is declining, according to a report by market research company Gartner. The global PC market shrunk with 5.7% in the third quarter of this year.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/pc-shipments-decline-second-consecutive-year-80642/](http://www.myce.com/news/pc-shipments-decline-second-consecutive-year-80642/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

A few points to note.

Microsoft hasn’t succeeded to boost the PC market with Windows 10.
Because of the RamRod tactics that is why. And making a substandard product doesn’t help either.

The market research company provides two reasons for the slump in PC sales.
That’s not really the whole picture…

“The PC is not a high priority device for the majority of consumers, so they do not feel the need to upgrade their PCs as often as they used to. Some may never decide to upgrade to a PC again”, said Mikako Kitagawa, principal analyst at Gartner
Not sure where their numbers are coming from but PC have become more reliable so most update only the O/S not the hardware. And only Gamers have a more pressing need then everyday users.

“In emerging markets, PC penetration is low, but consumers are not keen to own PCs. Consumers in emerging markets primarily use smartphones or phablets for their computing needs, and they don’t find the need to use a PC as much as consumers in mature markets”, she added.
This is partial true but most forget the apps you use are still created on a PC system without the PC forget your apps as well. All the software you use and internet wifi are still run through PC - they only realize this when those system goes down and ask why doesn’t my apps and wifi work. This is the short sightness of app and wifi users forget. Under all that fun apps are a PC running those so they can use their apps.

Lenovo was the largest PC manufacturer in the third quarter of this year with a market share of 20.9%, HP is second with 20.4% of the market.]
Lenovo the malware UEFI of computer king you got to be kidding…

Of course Win 10 isn’t going to boost sales. Who’s gonna by a new PC just for WIn 10 when it was a free D/L for everyone. That aside its not the software its the devices. Tablets and even phablets have fulfilled the need for many PC users. I sure use my PC alot less since my first iPad in 2010 and I’m a techie / PC “enthusiast”. Upgrade cycles are also longer due to the fact that performance needs for general computing (browsing, watching videos, business tasks etc) have somewhat leveled off or plateaued. Or maybe more accurate to say, even entry level PC specs have been “high-end” for some time.

You can also buy a lot of good ex less business desktop PCs for low money which are good enough for most home users. Â I bought one last month for the M-in-Law to replace an old Win XP machine that was past it’s use by date. Â Runs Win 7 Pro as well…

[QUOTE=paulw2;2782110]You can also buy a lot of good ex less business desktop PCs for low money which are good enough for most home users. Â I bought one last month for the M-in-Law to replace an old Win XP machine that was past it’s use by date. Â Runs Win 7 Pro as well…[/QUOTE]

I bought three HP USFF PCs this year with i5 processors, 500gb HD, 4gb RAM and dedicated HD5450 video cards for $125 each. Two were second gen i5s and the third was a third gen i5. All came with wiped HDs but had CoAs so I installed Windows 7 Pro and did the free upgrade to Windows 10. They are great for HTPCs and general computing. Unless someone needs newer tech for a specific need, there really isn’t much reason to buy a new PC these days. ebay is chalk full of these type of deals.

I think there’s two reasons. One is that PC tech has plateau’d. My current PC is almost 6 years old. That’s a record for me! I’ve upgraded hard drives, ram and the vid card but, buy my 2600k is still going strong.   Less frequent upgrades mean less sales.   PC Tech has (somewhat) matured.

The 2nd is many of the less sophisticated users have moved to mobile devices only.  Don’t even bother with pc’s/laptops :frowning:

I’m not sure you can blame it all on the OS.

I build my own, why buy when I can build to my specs cheaper and have abetter case and specs or just what I need.
I might consider one of the mini PC boxes for my HTPC eventually if I find one ready to go dirt cheap but also might just do a good used or refurb just to save me build time and buying a new mini case and everything that goes with it.
I have a friend that builds and sets up whole building networks anyways so I always end up with his very nice leftover stuff after we make a deal with each other on something.