PC sartup is very slow

vbimport

On Friday 3/13/10 I had a update from MS and after I turned off computer and restarted it it takes about 2hrs, yes I said 2hrs. to boot up and then any time I try to do anthing it takes 5 to 10 minuites for it to move on .
Tried to restore to when pc operated correctly with no improvement .
It is a DELL 3000 , P4 , 2.4GHz . Windows XP . Any advice would be appretiated .

Start up MSCONFIG and see what programs the system is starting during the startup process… Perhaps there are some that you can live without.

[QUOTE=lugnuts782;2501744]On Friday 3/13/10 I had a update from MS and after I turned off computer and restarted it it takes about 2hrs, yes I said 2hrs. to boot up and then any time I try to do anthing it takes 5 to 10 minuites for it to move on .
Tried to restore to when pc operated correctly with no improvement .
It is a DELL 3000 , P4 , 2.4GHz . Windows XP . Any advice would be appretiated .[/QUOTE]

That sounds like something is seriously corrupted. What version of XP are you using? Did you do any other updates besides the windows update? Since you said your restored and that didn’t work would indicated something toward a hardware problem.

[QUOTE=lugnuts782;2501744]On Friday 3/13/10 I had a update from MS and after I turned off computer and restarted it it takes about 2hrs, yes I said 2hrs. to boot up[/QUOTE]
You’ve got more patience than me! If my PC takes more than a couple of minutes to boot, it gets wiped and restored to a cloned fresh install of XP SP3.

I wouldn’t be too quick to jump on the hardware bandwagon; it’s much more likely to be windows shooting itself in the foot again. If by ‘restored’ you’re referring to system restore then I’m not surprised that it failed to fix the problem. (If ‘restore’ refers to using the product recovery disk(s) then hardware is a likely culprit.)

For the best chance of fixing your exisiting installation, I would suggest trying a “repair install” of the operating system; if you don’t have an XP disk, then you’ll need to get hold of one. Failing that it’s product recovery disk or fresh install time.

In any case I’d recommend that you backup your data before continuing.

Slainte

midders

Unplug any external drives as well.

Also you could go msconfig and look at whats starting up and then try selective start up and have only the things needed to run

[QUOTE=Jimbo;2502612]Also you could go msconfig and look at whats starting up and then try selective start up and have only the things needed to run[/QUOTE] Great idea! :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2502725]Great idea! :)[/QUOTE] Thats how I have mine setup as you don’t need all that stuff thats running in the normal startup such as load all device drivers and services