PC Restarts Randomly

vbimport

Hey people, im currently new to this forum, but plan to stay for a long time.

My has recently been showing some random restarts lately, it been happening this past week, about 3 times already.

The Times It Happened:

1. When playing my game online
  2. Surfing the web
  3. Surfing the web

The first time it had happened i thought it was just over heating because i was running about 2 of the same game at the same time. And a long time ago when i first built my pc it would restart when it went really hot, that was durring the time i ran about 2 of the same game at the same time. Then the second time it happened i was just surfing the internet with a temp at 35© = 95(F).BUT I DONT KNOW WHY IT WAS SO HOT WHEN JUST SURFING THE WEB. Im getting concerned now that this is starting to happen. Im thinking that it is the power supply because i have had it for 2 years now, without a problem that is. But dont hold me on my thought that the problem is the power supply, its just a guess, since my wires are really neat and have a lot of space. My pc is generally clean, i clean it witha air can about once every 2 weeks.

Power Supply:
Turbo-Link 450w (about 2+ years old) - The power supply came with my case.

So what do you think is the problem and how should i fix it?

Notes:
the last picture with the temp is the temp when surfing the web. I dont know why it was 35© the other time, now its 29©.

Pictures:

Hi, it would help a lot if you post the specifications of your PC. Most of the time a restart is caused by hot components in your PC or a very weak power supply. Most power supplies that come with the towers don’t output enough power to power your components especially if you are running on a gaming rig. Have you checked the seating of your heatsink? You should make sure your heatsink is attached properly and that your fan is running at its set speed. Most of the time people’s CPU gets very hot because they don’t know how to or don’t seat their heatsinks properly. I would advise you to use Arctic Silver 5 if your heatsink still has the thermal pad on it for the CPU. At times the thermal pad will eventually melt down into a nice pasty goo and will no longer have good contact between your CPU and heatsink. To apply Arctic Silver 5 put three to five circular drops onto your CPU. Don’t put too much or it will have poor contact. Now use a razor blade to smooth down and spread the Arctic Silver evenly over your CPU and put your heatsink back on. This should help your CPU cool down a lot better. I would suggest buying the small tube of Arctic Silver 5 as the larger $15 ones are a little bit more diluted but performs similarly. Otherwise your PC may contain spyware if that doesn’t help with the overheating restarts.

My system specs:

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 - 3.4ghz
Ram: 2GB Geil PC3200
Hard Drive: Maxtor 120GB SATA
Processor Fan: Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu LED 92mm 2 Ball Cooling Fan
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce FX 5700LE

Everything is nicely fit, the zalman processor fan is also nicely fit, but it has been like 2+ years since i put the cooling paste.

Do i have to buy more cooling paste, but it has a good temp at about 28 -29 © idle and when playing games 32+©, so i don’t see a heating problem?

Which is the best cooling paste to buy?

[B]What do you think is causing the constant restarts that have been happening lately?[/B]

definitely upgrade that PSU, 20A on the 12v rail is bare minimum for your set up, and PSUs tend to weaken as they age

So your saying that the restarts are being caused by my old PSU?
If so, is that the problem, or could it be something else?

the psu is the most likely culprit, I’ve had a couple of underpowered PSUs and the symptoms were the same…there is a slight chance the temps are not reporting correctly and it really is overheating, but not likely

Totally agree with jwill427 :iagree: :iagree:

I would start by replacing the power supply.

:cool: :cool:

Run Ramtest all night or when you can let it run for 10 or 12 hours or so just to rule out your RAM before buying a new psu.

Ram test, how do i do that?

I’m sorry. I meant Memtest . There’s a free download to make your own disc from .iso

OK, i downloaded it and buring it this second. Ill update you as soon as im finished.

ok just run it all night (not sure what your location is) and see if it finds any errors.
You boot to the drive that has the disc in and it runs in dos.

OK the ram is not the problem, it found 0 errors:

Now im almost convinced its the PSU, i contacted my cousin , and he had encountered this problem before, and also says its the PSU.

There’s really no reason to be replacing any hardware, unless you like buying stuff for no reason. There’s nothing wrong with your temps either.

Open system properties, advanced tab, startup and recovery, and deselect the “automatic reboot” option. Now you will get a BSOD and hopefully an error message instead of a reboot.

IF Dr Watson is running, you will also have a log file available that might have a clue, and don’t forget event viewer for error messages.

The vast majority of “random reboots” are NOT hardware related, but software and driver conflicts.

what alot of ppl are not aware of , is that everytime there is a bsod or an automated restart , windows keep logs about it… , goto c:\windows\minidump , compress all files and upload to http://www.egoshare.com , ill analyze em and let you know , i agree with CDan most really are a software/hardware driver conflicts , also download speedfan and take a screenshot so ill have a look at the psu voltages
http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

However, if the problem seems random, or if the memory location the error message cites as having failed seems random, I would suspect improper power as the culprit. The following is a list of PC problems that often are related to the power supply:

Any power-on or system startup failures or lockups.

Spontaneous rebooting or intermittent lockups during normal operation.

Intermittent parity check or other memory-type errors.

Hard disk and fan simultaneously failing to spin (no +12v).

Overheating due to fan failure.

Small brownouts cause the system to reset.

Electric shocks felt on the system case or connectors.

Slight static discharges disrupt system operation.

Many types of symptoms can indicate problems with the power supply. Because the power supply literally powers everything else in the system, everything from disk drive problems to memory problems to motherboard problems can often be traced back to the power supply as the root cause.

Regardless of your issue, any power supply that comes with the case unless requested will come with a very cheap power supply. I would recommend buying a good power supply, your PC will thank you for it. A poor power supply can shorten the life span of other components.

:cool: :cool:

I checked the mini dump and found nothing, the whole folder is completely empty, that could be due to using ccleaner, im not actually sure, but their is nothing in there.

Is this the screen shot you wanted?

Im almost convinced that it could be the power supply, remember it is about 2.6 years old.

i guess thats possible , configure ccleaner properly so it wont delete the minidump files or just uninstall it and when another unexpected restart will happen this time there will be something in the minidump folder… ,also make sure the minidump settings is set properly, right click “my computer” and click “properties” goto “advanced” tab and double click the “settings” button (the last one) make sure every box is checked and that “small memory dump” is selected under “write debugging information” , yup thats the one ,the voltages looks quite stable the -5/-12 voltages can be ignored they probably arent even used (only extremely old motherboards use these,some psus have em for compatbility) , i would guess that 45 is your processor temperature but just to be sure use sandra
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/SiSoftware-Sandra.shtml get into hardware–>mainboard and scroll down to “temperature sensor(s)”… ,if thats really the case then youmight wanna get some better processor cooling, but this issue is unlikely related to the restarts , is your processor overclocked? unstable overclock can cause random restarts , anyway lets check some other hardware reasons , the motherboard & ram , open the case and lay it down have a good look, search for bad capacitors , to know what you should look for check these sites
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=195
http://home.earthlink.net/~doniteli/index27.htm , if you see nothin wrong then proceed with checking the ram by using memtest86+ http://memtest.org/#downiso , if you do find bad capacitors you really dont have to get a new/used motherboard , you can just take it to an electronic repair shop , they will replace the capacitors & clean up the mess and it will work just fine after and considering capacitors are cheap it shouldnt cost too much

My pc is very clean, i checked the all capacitators, and their are all clean, so i don’t think its the motherboard.

[B]So would a computer restart if the processor gets too hot?[/B]
[B]
Im not sure if that is supposed to be the right temperature(this is the temp. when im just using firefox):[/B]

[B]*i never overclocked my pc.[/B]

nope dont think it will or at least ive never heard of such a case , modern motherboards have a shutdown temperature defined in bios and when the processor hits it then the pc gets shutdownd automatically but on some the default shutdown temperature is a little higher then it should be so when it overheats it just causes freezing , as i was saying you might wanna consider getting better cooling but i doubt thats whats causing these restarts , if ill have the minidump files ill be able to say for sure whats causing it, have you removed ccleaner or configured it right so it wont delete the minidump files? and did you check the settings i mentioned that are related to saving the minidump files when a bsod/autorestart happens? , anyway as alredy suggested get your ram checked^^

[B]edit[/B] btw i can recommend a good processor cooler if ill know what exactly is your processor & country , get cpu-z and take a screenshot