PC Restarting

can a hard drive problem make your PC restart quite a lot? IE: like doing a virus scan or just left doing nothing?

i’ve replaced my MB and PSU, which was a really cheap one from ebay, but i’ve just ordered a better PSU to replace it with.

on the restart it said there was an error and couldn’t find the disc, which is kinda sounding like a HDD problem

Could be but, I doubt it. Is your boot up sequence HDD then optical drive then etc? If so change to to optical drive then HDD to boot up order. Also check if you have 2 optical drives in your computer to label them one slave other master.

[QUOTE=THE C.;1951190]Could be but, I doubt it. Is your boot up sequence HDD then optical drive then etc? If so change to to optical drive then HDD to boot up order. Also check if you have 2 optical drives in your computer to label them one slave other master.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the reply the c.

but my set up is the same as it’s been for a good few years now, so i’ll take it as ok, but since this repair, it’s all went wrong, i’ll have to wait untill wednesday for my new PSU to arrive to eliminate the cheap PSU.

but this was the first time i’d seen an error warning that it couldn’t find the disc, hence the question about the HDD

Okay good luck with your new power house coming. See ya around the forum!

Any time a Windoz PC is restarted, there’s a chance of getting that error. . Best to look for the cause of the restarts. Set Windows to BSOD instead of restarting, and the blue screen message will point you in the right direction.

[QUOTE=CDan;1951212]Any time a Windoz PC is restarted, there’s a chance of getting that error. . Best to look for the cause of the restarts. Set Windows to BSOD instead of restarting, and the blue screen message will point you in the right direction.[/QUOTE]

ahh, thanks cdan, yip thats switched off, i’ll switch it back on again :smiley:

here’s the error signature.

BCCode : 1000000a BCP1 : 906F9087 BCP2 : 00000002 BCP3 : 00000000
BCP4 : 806EE2AB OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 768_1

if that make sense to anybody?

thats was just the error reporting, i’ve just unchecked the restart option.

[QUOTE=Bjproc;1951469]here’s the error signature.

if that make sense to anybody?

thats was just the error reporting, i’ve just unchecked the restart option.[/QUOTE]

Download Memtest86, create a floppy or CD and run the test overnight. I suspect you are going to see lots of errors, indicating bad RAM.

[QUOTE=CDan;1951592]Download Memtest86, create a floppy or CD and run the test overnight. I suspect you are going to see lots of errors, indicating bad RAM.[/QUOTE]

I’ve already done that CDan, and there was no errors, i think it ran for about 18hrs, just going over & over again.

i think i’ve a thread in the hardware forum about this, but it was the not recognizing the HDD that time that brought me to this part of the forum

you checked even viewer bjproc ? :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=marcus_667;1951632]you checked even viewer bjproc ? :)[/QUOTE]

event viewer?

no, i’ve not, but i’ll just look into to it just now :slight_smile:

just had a lookinto event viewer, and there was an error

and

i’ve downloaded the .dll file and renamed my old file and copied the new into the system32 folder for the first picture error

i’ve also redownloaded ATI’s driver and installed it for the ati error

hopefully that will help.

Keep watching the BSOD messages for any additional info. This still sounds like a hardware issue, though drivers are not ruled out. OTOH, hard drives are cheap and plentiful, never hurts to buy a spare. A fresh install of Windows isn’t a bad idea either. Also watch your CPU temps.

[QUOTE=CDan;1951665]Keep watching the BSOD messages for any additional info. This still sounds like a hardware issue, though drivers are not ruled out. OTOH, hard drives are cheap and plentiful, never hurts to buy a spare. A fresh install of Windows isn’t a bad idea either. Also watch your CPU temps.[/QUOTE]

i’ll keep looking out for the BSOD error codes.

this PC is 6-7 years old, so it’s done not bad. i’ve just reinstalled windows 2 months ago (i’m now having to phone up MS for an activation code from them :bigsmile: ), i’ve never really had any problems with reinstalls before. just this time.

just away to look out for a CPU temp viewer :smiley:

thanks

[B]EDIT

CPU is sitting at 51*C whats this like?[/B]

heres some of the BSOD error

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

check hardware…

if problems continue disconnect or remove any newly fitted hardware/software
disable BIOS memory option for cashing ans shadowing…

TECH INFO

***STOP: 0x0000000A (0x906F908, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x806EE2AB)

beginning dump of physical memory
physical memory dump complete

contact admin etc…

anybody understand this?

could it be the MB that i replaced?, worked just ok, before the reformat

[QUOTE=Bjproc;1951924]
TECH INFO

***STOP: 0x0000000A (0x906F908, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x806EE2AB)

[/QUOTE]
This is a very common hardware error type message. Often memory errors. You can google the numbers and get some info sometimes.

EXAMPLE

[QUOTE=CDan;1951940]This is a very common hardware error type message. Often memory errors. You can google the numbers and get some info sometimes.

EXAMPLE[/QUOTE]

ok, thanks CDan for all your help, i’ll check it out

:clap:

I suppose a bad power supply could cause lots of problems.

Or maybe you installed a bad driver. Maybe there is an update available for some of your drivers. You could try disabling some of the hardware that you don’t need, like audio, etc., to see if the problem goes away. One way to disable non-essential hardware, and disable your regular video driver, is to boot up in safe mode.

I’ve had those messages in the past and it was PSU first time and PSU + Memory second time.