PC reboots when burning

Hi,

I have a Sony DVD RW DW - U10A and Sony DVD ROM DDU1612 installed in my PC. When burning a music CD my PC reboots. I have tried using different burning software - Media Player, Creative Organizer, Instant CD etc with no success. I have tried to find an updated driver also without success. The driver installed for both are:
Microsoft 5.1.2535.0 01/07/2001

I am running XP OS

Advice welcomed please.

Kind regards

Kevin

I suspect a hardware defect or some overheating.

What info is shown at the BSOD?

If you boot with a LiveCD/USB-stick of some kind (Linux or whatever) does it still hang/reboot?
//Danne

I think I had that problem on an old PC.

I think I had to buy more RAM.

Also make sure not too many programs are running in the background

I am not getting a blue screen. No info displayed. The PC just reboots.

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;1964900]If you boot with a LiveCD/USB-stick of some kind (Linux or whatever) does it still hang/reboot?
//Danne[/QUOTE]
It only reboots when reading from a blank disk in DW-10A before burning from the original CD in the DDU1612.

[QUOTE=t3chn0n3rd;1964966]I think I had that problem on an old PC.

I think I had to buy more RAM.

Also make sure not too many programs are running in the background[/QUOTE]
I am running 512 MB of RAM

[QUOTE=Kevin Ray;1965675]It only reboots when reading from a blank disk in DW-10A before burning from the original CD in the DDU1612.[/QUOTE]

Reading is only possible from a media that has some content on it, a BLANK disc has nothing to read on it.

Is Alcohol or Daemon Tools installed?
If yes, remove them.

Do not even try to copy-on-the-fly with such an old & unstable computer.

[QUOTE=chef;1965851]Reading is only possible from a media that has some content on it, a BLANK disc has nothing to read on it.

Is Alcohol or Daemon Tools installed?
If yes, remove them.

Do not even try to copy-on-the-fly with such an old & unstable computer.[/QUOTE]
Sorry I should have said writing to the blank CD. Neither Alcohol or Daemon Tools are installed. Not sure what you mean by copy-on-the-fly?

if it only reboots during burning then it sounds like your power supply is too weak or is about to die. have you made any additions like a new gfx card? better cards require more watts and specifically more amps in the 12v line of the power supply. new hardware in pci slots also eats up power.

if it reboots when you’re using cpu intensive tasks then it’s overheating. in this case i’d use condensed air to clean the cpu fan/heatsink and other components if needed

@ Kevin Ray
Answer my question

//Danne

[QUOTE=Kevin Ray;1965972]Sorry I should have said writing to the blank CD. Neither Alcohol or Daemon Tools are installed. [B]Not sure what you mean by copy-on-the-fly?[/B][/QUOTE]

With this, I think, you meant copy on the fly:

[QUOTE=Kevin Ray;1965675]It only reboots when reading from a blank disk in DW-10A before burning from the original CD in the DDU1612.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;1964900]If you boot with a LiveCD/USB-stick of some kind (Linux or whatever) does it still hang/reboot?
//Danne[/QUOTE]
It only reboots when copying to the blank disc.

after the reboot what does event viewer say?

/me votes for software issue!
//Danne