PC reboots at start-up

Firstly apologies if this is in wrong forum, and even if it cannot be asked here …

I have a problem with the fact that my PC reboots at a cold start-up, ie when it has been left off overnight and I turn it on next day, it loads windows then promptly reboots when the desktop appears. After it has done this once all is fine.

I turned off the auto restart under ‘start-up recovery’ and iet a STOP error with a lot of numbers and a message saying its ntoskrnl or ntfs.sys each time. I checked for virus’s but found none, so decided to do a complete format and re-install, all was fine for a day or two, then it started happening again, so I formatted once again and installed XP (was previously using WIn2k) and sure enough it was fine for a day or two, then the exact same thing started happening again.

I have found a similar problem on M$ Knowledge Base, (damn that site is hard to navigate, find solutions) which suggested trying chkdsk with the /f extension, which unfortunately has done nothing under Win2k or XP, I tried it on all of my Discs.

I hope that someone can help as this is getting a little worrying. the system seems to run fine after it reboots again, its just worrying in that it only happens when booting from cold.

Thanks in advance.

Don’t worry. You posted this question in the appropriate forum and gave us enough information to work with. You even did research on your own, more users should do that. I’d almost thank you :slight_smile:

Back to the question. It seems to me that files are getting corrupted, out of the blue. Windows seems to fix this by a reboot.

What this is causing? If I’d to answer without the information you gave me, I’d suggest a virus was the cause. Since this is not, I think you need to check up your hardware.

Scanning your harddrive for errors may be a good idea. I prefer the IBM drive fitness test (works on non-IBM drives as well).

Maybe checking your memory ain’t bad either (www.memtest86.com).

I presume that your cooling, as well as your PSU is good enough, but you may want to check this as well. If one of those isn’t acting like it should, very strange problems can occur…

Thnx for the quick reply :bow:

I have scanned the drives with the chkdsk /f option and also with Western Digital online check found HERE.

They came up fine, the PSU is a 400watt that should be more than adaquate(sp?) for my system. Cooling also should be fine as I have an exhaust type thing that sucks hot air out, and also 2x cooler fans in my system (one at the top and one at the rear) blowing/sucking hot air out. FYI I have tried also with the side of the case off, it still does the same from a cold boot, so i dont think realistically it can be cooling as the system is already cold so to speak., but I may be wrong, it has been known quite a lot :slight_smile:

Wil ltrack down the IBM fitness test and am currently downloading the memtest and will reboot with that in a sec (have to finish posting this first) :wink:

What is your mainboard? I have heard the same thing and being caused by the mainboard or it bios. You could try update the bios if you haven’t already.

Panos, the MoBo is an IT7-Max2 with the latest BIOS, IT7D7 from December 2002.

Dee-ehn I ran the memory test for around 2hrs, it came up with no errors whatsoever, so we can rule that out, I got the IBM Drive Fitness test, whcih is now made by someone other than IBM, but the disc comes up as invalid system disc when booting :frowning:

The utility is indeed from Hitachi nowadays, although it was developed by IBM.

When memtest states that your memory is ok, you can count on that. It could however be, that the memory is not compatible with your mainboard (I doubt it, since you’d probably haved noticed earlier).

It’s strange that the disc is not booting. Did you try another disc? It may be defect… Is booting from floppy enabled in your BIOS?

Dee-ehn, yep tried another disk, the first was faulty, ran the tests and all came up fine … its quaint having to use floppies again, had to go out and buy some :slight_smile:

Back on subject though, I seem to have come to a dead end again, memory checks out according the the memtest, drives check out according to Drive Fitness Test, I have the latest MoBo BIOS already installed from A-Bit. I am going to swap out the PSU later with an old one I have lying around, but that is only a 350watt supply, though I doubt that should matter.

I will post back if this has any affect.

Thanks again Dee-ehn and Panos for replies, hopefully this will be sorted out soon :slight_smile: any further suggestions welcome.

Are you overclocking your system? What’s your CPU tempt? There’s a chance that you didn’t install the heatsink correctly, leading to high tempts, and thus the reboots. Go into the BIOS and see what kind of tempts you have. If the tempts are indeed very high (50C for idle), then turn off system, take off heatsink, reapply TIM, and reinstall heatsink. BTW, if you have a shim between the CPU and HSF, take it off.

Another thing. The only component you specify in your system is the mobo and nothing else. You didn’t say what settings you’re using for the RAM, CPU, or AGP. You also didn’t say what the rail ratings are for the 400W PSU. 400W PSU means nothing if the 3.3+ and 5+ ratings are low. Get a program like MBM 5, and check the voltage for 3.3+ and 5+ and see if they match what’s on the label of the PSU.

Originally posted by Stoner
[B]Are you overclocking your system? What’s your CPU tempt? There’s a chance that you didn’t install the heatsink correctly, leading to high tempts, and thus the reboots. Go into the BIOS and see what kind of tempts you have. If the tempts are indeed very high (50C for idle), then turn off system, take off heatsink, reapply TIM, and reinstall heatsink. BTW, if you have a shim between the CPU and HSF, take it off.

Another thing. The only component you specify in your system is the mobo and nothing else. You didn’t say what settings you’re using for the RAM, CPU, or AGP. You also didn’t say what the rail ratings are for the 400W PSU. 400W PSU means nothing if the 3.3+ and 5+ ratings are low. Get a program like MBM 5, and check the voltage for 3.3+ and 5+ and see if they match what’s on the label of the PSU. [/B]

erm … ummm … err …

No not overclocking the system at all, I will check temperature at next reboot, but surely the temperature is lower at a cold startup (the only time this happens) than when rebooting later on?

Not sure what TIM is, along with a ‘shim between the CPU and HSF’. I have an official P4 2.53 used in conjunction with an official p4 fan (all was contained in box when bought). The system has been running fine for the last 5 months or so, its just in the last few weeks, nothing has changed in that time (apart from the formatting and reinstalling).

All the settings are standard, ie as mentioned I am not overclocking or anything, system defaults.

AGP is set at 4x, with a 64mb aperture (it was set at 128 until recently, but when Project IGI kept dropping to desktop I had to set to 64mb as per the readme with the game). The graphic card used, if its any help, is a GeForce Ti500, and I have 2x sticks of Corsair 512mb PC2700, which as mentioned have checked out with the MemTest program.

Grabbing the MBM and updated DLL etc, but again not entirely sure what is meant by the rail ratings?

Thanks for the help BTW, all is appreciated.

/me goes off to check out MBM and see what it says, along with the temperatures in BIOS.

[edit] Right, have installed MBM as well as updates and I am lost. I dont know what the hell to set, I have opened a dashboard, which shows the following …

Sensor 1 = 48 C
Sensor 2 = 36 C
Sensor 3 = 0 C
Core 0 = 1.47v
Core 1 = 2.48v
+3.3 = 3.30v
+5.00 = 5.03v
+12.00 = 11.98v
-12.00 = 8.57v
-5.00 = -2.88v
Fan 1 = 0 rpm
Fan 2 = 0 rpm
Fan 3 = 0 rpm
CPU = 2537 Mhz
CPU 0 = 0%

I followed the online help and changed one or two settings for it and assume that the 1.47v is for the CPU and the 2.48v is the +2.5 mentioned in there?

The 48C (winbond 2 diode) i am pretty sure is the CPU temp and the 36C (winbond 1) is the case?

Does that help any?[/edit]

Hmmm… everything looks good on your system. The voltage on all 3 rails are excellent, along w/ the tempts for a P4 system. Ok, try this. Install only one stick of RAM into the RAM sockets, starting from the one closest to the CPU socket, then boot system. Switch to socket 2, then 3, if the problem persists. I’m wondering if there’s a RAM/socket compatibility problem going on w/ that mobo.

TIM: thermal interface materiel. Used to transfer heat between CPU core to heatsink

Rail Rating: Tells you how solid/stable voltage for power being supplied by PSU is. Since you’re not OCing, this doesn’t apply to you. But when people do OC, it’ll put more stress on the 3.3+ (RAM) and 5+ (CPU) line, thus making the system unstable and will lead to system restart and crashes. By using MBM, you can easily tell the difference between a good PSU and bad PSU. 12+ is for motor power in fans, hard drive, and optical drives.

Thnx again for the reply Stoner, the ones i was worried about in that list ws the -12.00 and -5.00 which seem a bit of a way off compared to the other values. Also thanks for explaining the terms I didn’t know, very helpful and appreciated.

I will try the suggestion you say, by removing memory sticks, this may take a day or two, due the fact that the problem only occurs from a cold boot. ie when i first turn system on of a morning, the rest of the time I can reboot/restart till my hearts content without a problem.

Originally posted by belgarath
[B]Thnx again for the reply Stoner, the ones i was worried about in that list ws the -12.00 and -5.00 which seem a bit of a way off compared to the other values. Also thanks for explaining the terms I didn’t know, very helpful and appreciated.

I will try the suggestion you say, by removing memory sticks, this may take a day or two, due the fact that the problem only occurs from a cold boot. ie when i first turn system on of a morning, the rest of the time I can reboot/restart till my hearts content without a problem. [/B]

voltage -5 = -2.88 too low
voltage -12 = 8.57? should be -12 or some thing like that or am i wrong / or a mistype?this case it will be positive instead of negative and its to low!

first check the bios for faulty config if something changed than xp can reboot to get bios and xp on one line
is the mbr okay?
try other hd
battery mb okay?
(after the first reboot when he performs normally) if you turn of the power (then pull out the main lead) and wait for a minute and reconnect the mainlead then restart pc start its than normal?

Have just got through testing the memory sticks, problem still occured. However a thought occured in that it was saying ntfs.sys and ntoskrnl, so maybe it was something going wrong with the file system, maybe. Anyway I had a dig around the BIOS and found an option for a boot delay, I set this to 5 seconds, and this morning it didnt give the error message, I will reduce this by 1 second per day till I get an optimal time.

One question from this, if it has been fine before, and setting a delay now appears to have cured it, does that mean that the HD is about to give up the ghost? I ask this as I assume the boot delay gives the drive a little longer to either spin up or whatever it does?

Thanks again for your help.

[edit]Burnerchief, just noticed your post, wonder why I didnt get a reply notification? Anyway the values given are correct, except that 8.57 should be negative, my bad. MBR should be ok as have ran various tests, but on next boot will go to recovery console and run FIXMBR, hopefully that will help as, as I mentioned above, it does appear to be a HD problem, even tho the tests all were fine (maybe because drive had spun up to speed when the tests were done?)

I have no idea how to check the MoBo battery? Any ideas? Will also try pulling out the lead as mentioned in your post, but I think it wil be fine, now that I have, I think, narrowed it down to the HD. One thing though, damn there are a lot of variables here, I formatted (twice) when installing OS’s again, I made sure it was a FULL format each time rather than a QUICK format, so surely that would have fixed/rewrote the MBR?

Thanks once again to all who have offered help, it is, as mentioned, much appreciated[/edit]

the masterbootrecord is written by fdisk or a simular program in xp this happens only when you partion the hard drive or when you give the command in dos fdisk /mbr
when you format the drive all data is gone but not the mbr if the mbr is not correct you can get various problems even complete loss of data
if you have a virus in the mbr it will still be there even after a format!
only way to be sure is to rewrite the mbr.
in the mbr is written how much partions you have and size etc…
note that a format in the setup of xp is fast but a format in dos is better (checks all phisical sectors)
note the voltage’s should be +/- 0.1 tolerance so this is weird maybe the psu is not quite correct in this don’t know what the affect is of this

greetz brant

Hi all. i am new to these forum . actually i am experiencing a problem so i googled the problem and found ur forum got my self registered and here i am

i am using asus-p5sgx-mx 1gb ram core 2 duo windows xpsp2.
i was using computer and all of a sudden it hanged and when i restarted the computer there was no display not even bios. i contacted my local computer repair he said that my pc had dust all over… he blowed it and the display came back. when i brought my pc back at home it worked for around 10 minutes and then restarted on its own. it didnt fully load windows and restarted again 3 times. after that display was gone once again.

i read this forum and downloaded mbm
here are some findings

cpu -104C average
sensor 2- 0C average
sensor 3- 0C average
core0- 2.49V average
core1-3.73V average
+3.3-3.31V average
+5.00-5.56V average
+12.00-12.83V average
-12.00- -11.10V average
-5.00- -4.94V average
Fan 1 - 5625 RPM
Fan 2 - 33750 RPM
Fan 3 - 33750 RPM

can someone help me out??

Thanks

[quote=OmerKaleem;2240938]Hi all. i am new to these forum . actually i am experiencing a problem so i googled the problem and found ur forum got my self registered and here i am

i am using asus-p5sgx-mx 1gb ram core 2 duo windows xpsp2.
i was using computer and all of a sudden it hanged and when i restarted the computer there was no display not even bios. i contacted my local computer repair he said that my pc had dust all over… he blowed it and the display came back. when i brought my pc back at home it worked for around 10 minutes and then restarted on its own. it didnt fully load windows and restarted again 3 times. after that display was gone once again.

i read this forum and downloaded mbm
here are some findings

cpu -104C average
sensor 2- 0C average
sensor 3- 0C average
core0- 2.49V average
core1-3.73V average
+3.3-3.31V average
+5.00-5.56V average
+12.00-12.83V average
-12.00- -11.10V average
-5.00- -4.94V average
Fan 1 - 5625 RPM
Fan 2 - 33750 RPM
Fan 3 - 33750 RPM

can someone help me out??

Thanks[/quote]
Sounds like the fan on your graphics card might be shot, overheating your system. Turn off the computer and let it cool off and see if it works for awhile, if it happens again, I would check the video card.

cpu -104C average :eek:
This can’t be correct.
Perhaps try a different monitoring utility such as Speedfan:
http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php