Pc quits burning

vbimport

first of all: excuse me for my english.
second: I have a big problem. every now and then my computer quits burning a DVD and my computer is being restarted. I cannot give a specific reason for this. It is not always at the same percentage: somtimes the DVD is almost finished, sometimes my computer restart at 10%. I have no other active processes when I am using nero to burn. When I am lucky the DVD will be burned (5 out of 10).
Is this a power problem OR does my computer need more memory OR something else??

check if you have your system optimised for dvd burning, encoding etc. http://www.mrbass.org/dvdnewbie/

please provide us the specs of your computer and a log of one of your failed burns.

the only serious error I can find in the log is a ‘true vector engine’ error. anybody has had the same problem before?? I would like to add some print screens but I do not know how…

My specs:
Windows XP version 2002
AMD Athlon XP 2000+
1.69 GhZ
256 MB Ram

Can anybody help me please… :confused: :confused:

When Running windows and it crashes you will get a blue screen and it will automatically restart, ofter it will restart too fast for you to see the error message. You could check the error log in this case but that is too easy. We are going to disable auto restart on system failure.

1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System (Windows+Pause works, too)
  2. Go to Advanced
  3. Under the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings…
  4. Under System Failure un-check “Automatically restart”

also, true vector = part of zone alarm firewall.

@ghosters: my pc only crashes when I am burning a dvd. when I do something else (convert mp3, watch a movie, listen music, play a game) nothing will happen and I do not have any problem at all. I will try your idea and see what happens. thanks for your effort so far.

next time, instead of restarting, you might get a blue screen/error message. take note of what it says. suggest you also check RAM settings in BIOS and CPU frequency in BIOS too…and anything else in BIOS that can optimise your system

Search the internet for a memory tester. I’ve read some articles and psots that blame faulty memory for faulty burns. Is your RAM just one stick or is it two? If it’s just one, then you could have a bad piece of RAM, troubleshoot by using another piece and see if it works for you then.

maybe you can ‘read’ what the blue screen error says. for me it is like abacadabra.

STOP 0x00000024(0x001902f9,0xf9e7d998,0xf9e7d698,0xf9a6953a)

volsnap.sys-address f9a6953a base at f9a62000, datestamp 3b7d843f

I only have a blue screen error when a want to copy a cd/dvd. should a bad memory stick causes a lot more errors if any other taks is being proceed?? By the way, I only have one memory stick.

i suggest you DISABLE ALL unneeded programs from running before you attempt to burn. firewalls, antivirus’, image-making programs etc. i think it very possible you have TOO many apps competing for resources in the background. volsnap.sys relates to Volume Shadow Copy Service . many backup apps use it. start/run/type SERVICES.MSC hit ENTER. scroll to Volume Shadow Copy, doubleclick it, set it manual or disabled. apply/ok.

you think my computer does not have enough RAM-memory?? if that is the reason for all my blue screens, the solution is very simple: extra memory??

tonight I will disable shadow copy and try to burn some other dvd’s. hopefully this is the best solution.

thanks so far Ghosters!!!

your system might benefit from optimising your services configuration. see http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/service411.htm#Alerter

arrggghhhhh, I did what you suggest. but now I got 2 different other blue screen errors:

usbuhci.sys
AND
usbport.sys

any suggestions??

i think you may have general/overall system troubles. suggest optimising your computer from the BIOS up. anything in BIOS your system can live without, disable it. . . read your motherboard manual. then move onto the OS and do same.

i see the errors you are getting in systems that are overclocked, or whose motherboard,BIOS and chipset combination is cheap. perhaps updating mobo drivers ?

any suggestions what to disable?? I do not know much about the BIOS.

I did not overclock my cpu, so that cannot be the problem. I am not sure, but I think I only bought well known brands for my computer, thus that cannot be the reason for my problems.

update mobo drivers??? can you explain what mobo drivers are??

your motherboard has a chipset [usually either of intel, SiS, Via or nVidia]. these chipsets need drivers. these drivers are often updated by chipset makers. go to your motherboard maker’s website and look for drivers for your motherboard make/model.

I removed some software which I rarely did use. after that I brunned some dvd’s and did not have blue screens anymore(until so far so good). thanks al lot for your support ghosters!!! :bow:

that is good news. :slight_smile: