PC Playing straight off

Hey does playing a game straight off your pc and not off a disc affect the game in quality?

I’m not so sure the quality is affected. The older copy protection only required yo to enter a serial number before installing a game, and an increasingly longer one at that. That has no effect on gameplay. However, with some of the newer copy protections, I know that the game (or the copy protection for that matter) checks for the disk in the CD-ROM drive several times during game play, thus increasing loading times.

Many people don’t like playing with the CD in the drive because it puts wear on the CD, and with enough wear on a CD, the game can be rendered unplayable. This is a reason why many of us here at CDFreaks advocate fair use and the ability to make a backup for personal use. That way, the original isn’t worn out, and only a cheap CD-R(W). :slight_smile:

Playing from the PC using an emulator, IF the settings are right, actually improves gameplay. Because the hard drive can spin faster than a CDROM, therefore retrieving data faster.

Originally posted by EFloUVA
Many people don’t like playing with the CD in the drive because it puts wear on the CD, and with enough wear on a CD, the game can be rendered unplayable. This is a reason why many of us here at CDFreaks advocate fair use and the ability to make a backup for personal use. That way, the original isn’t worn out, and only a cheap CD-R(W). :slight_smile:

simply using a disc won’t make it unplayable; discs don’t wear out through use. the main reason for using a backup is so you don’t scratch/break the original.

But if you have an old CD-ROM drive, it can wear it out.

Originally posted by theone1_
But if you have an old CD-ROM drive, it can wear it out.

My friend had a CD ROM drive that scatched every CD you put in it. It turns out that there was a sharp pin caught in the slot.

But for normal CD ROMs no wear comes from just reading the discs.