PC only reads Data when it feels like it

vbimport

My pc is driving me crazy. The system and Bios will recognize the DVD drive but everytime I boot it is a toss up as to whether it will read or see the data on the disk. The DVD shows up in My Computer as a valid device - but with zero bytes (with a disk inside). It can also stop working after it successfully reads a disk requiring a reboot to try again.

I have two drives and tried both seperately with the same results. I have changed the IDE cable and checked voltage on the power plug (ok). I have uninstalled them in the device manager and they are alwasy re-recognized when it restarts - with the same intermittent results.

Any ideas for a Newbie ???

[QUOTE=ace999;2012857]My pc is driving me crazy. The system and Bios will recognize the DVD drive but everytime I boot it is a toss up as to whether it will read or see the data on the disk. The DVD shows up in My Computer as a valid device - but with zero bytes (with a disk inside). It can also stop working after it successfully reads a disk requiring a reboot to try again.

I have two drives and tried both seperately with the same results. I have changed the IDE cable and checked voltage on the power plug (ok). I have uninstalled them in the device manager and they are alwasy re-recognized when it restarts - with the same intermittent results.

Any ideas for a Newbie ???[/QUOTE]

In order for members to help could use more info like,…what are this disc that you are talking about, what are the drives and what system you are running also are the firmware to the drives up to date

Based on the information you provided, it sounds like a failing burner.