PC Lockup Problems - Only In Windows

Ive got a 2nd pc (non-networked) specs as follows:
AMD K6-2 350
96MB PC-100
Epox EP-MVP3C2
Maxtor 1.7GB HDD
SoundBlaster 16 Value!
250W AT P/S

As you can see, its not the latest and greatest, but its my old PC, (quite a jump from 350MHz->2GHz) and the problem is that whatever flavor of Windows Ive tried, (98SE + 2K) it usually locks up when Windows GUI has loaded. Usually when the take a tour screen is loading.

Now, when I boot into safe-mode, theres no lockup, then I restart into Windows and its fine. No lockups anywhere.

The board is 2nd hand because I flashed to wrong BIOS on old board and had to re-flash this board to get it to work properly. Luckily this board had a boot-block BIOS and I was able to recover it. And set voltage/clock/FSB jumpers accordingly (wonderful things manuals).

So, lets see how far we can overclock it. Went from 350MHz - 400MHZ and its fine. Or so it seemed.

Lets install windows, went fine. Lets boot windows, lockup. Lets clock it back, lockup. Bear in mind I never tried windows before the overclock. But it installed fine, so I dont know. Any worthwile (free!) DOS benchmarking programs? Because it seems stable as a rock in DOS.

I know heat isnt a problem as theres a nice 5400 rpm fan with thermal paste clamped onto the chip.

Prehaps I overclocked it to much and damaged the silicone, maybe the RAM was exposed to static.

Any input would be appreciated.

EDIT And Id rather not use Linux, just sticking with Windows for the moment /EDIT

96 MB RAM must mean you have two or more RAM-sticks. Try removing one or different combinations if you have three. I had a RAM-conflict when I inserted some TwinMOS, and my (former) Samsung RAM didn’t get along with the new and I wouldn’t get any farther than GUI loading. So the sympthoms are RAM-like :slight_smile:

But on such an old comp it could be anything :wink:

hi

it could be L1 or L2 cache memory try to set it off in the bios
and reboot
i had the same problem with my pIII500
when you work in dos no prob
when you boot to win and open a window the system just freezes
if you disable the cache mem its working but soooooooooo slow
(tried another proc. same result could be broken too?)have no other mobo to try it on because its slot1 and L cache is on the processorcard

Your RAM could be simply malfunctioning. This problems will only be revealed in DOS as soon as the (possible) bad part of the RAM is being used.

To test if this is the case, you’d best use memtestx86 (www.memtest86.com) in order to make sure your RAM is ok.

If the RAM is giving problems, there might be a couple of BIOS settings that can correct this problem:

1. adjust the timings (set them on SPD)
  2. increase the voltage on the RAM

Good luck and report back a.s.a.p. :wink:

@Airhead - Yeah, a 64MB and a 32MB chip. Il try removing one and see how that goes. Alas, I dont have others lying around to test with.

@burnerchief - The K6-2 dont have a L2 cache to my knowlege, but Ill have a look in the BIOS

@Dee-ehn - Thanks for the link, testing at the moment.

Thanks to everyone for their input. :slight_smile:

Hmm, insteresting result.
Over a period of 4hours 30 minutes, (18 passes) not 1 single error was found.

Perhaps a whole system ‘stress-test’ may find the problem. Any DOS based ones people know of?

EDIT On a side note, it booted first time afterwards which leads me to believe that I may have damaged the CPU on the overclock and that it must warm up beforehand. But thats all just speculation. Currently its running at 30C and the room is about 12C /EDIT

Originally posted by Savannah
@burnerchief - The K6-2 dont have a L2 cache to my knowlege, but Ill have a look in the BIOS

This is true. K6-2 uses L2 on the motherboard, it only has a small bit of L1 cache. Trust burnerchief - turn this off and it takes forever to boot.

BTW you didn’t mention what videocard you are using. The fact that it’s fine in safe mode and DOS makes me think driver problem.

One of my friends parents computers had pretty much the exact same problem you are having with the same mobo you have. A local PC builder put together a system for him, and it would randomly lock up, but usually after Windows loaded. They kept tweaking it and reinstalling Windows until the warranty ran out, then I got to troubleshoot the machine. Turned out there was a change made to the motherboard manual and the update piece of paper never made it into the manual/mobo box. The problem ended up being if running anything faster than a 350 MHz CPU, the voltage needed to be increased to the CPU buy changing some jumper settings. From what I remember it had the little dip switch jumpers. I increased the voltage to the next step up, and the problem went away. You might give that a try…

@BadReligionPR: The videocard Im using is a PCI S3 Vision 864 (soon to be replaced with an AGP S3 Savage 3d when I finally get it back).

I dont think its a driver problem as once its restarted from booting into safe mode everythings fine.

Small bit of L1 cache is right, a sum total of 64Kb.

@Daemonicus: Thanks for the info, when (if) I overclock it again, Ill certainatly up the voltage to the next option.

If nothing else works, Ill up the voltage a little.

I appreciate all the help, thanks everyone.

Well, it seems to have stablised since installing Windows ME, and after a driver hunt for the damned video card it works.

BadReligionPR, it seems I owe you a debt of thanks for your suspicions. :bow: Many thanks.

As it only seems stable at the moment (not enough tests to convince me), Im not going to overclock it yet, however I would like to thank all the people who suggested ideas towards my dillema. Thank you :slight_smile:

Originally posted by Savannah
[B]Well, it seems to have stablised since installing Windows ME, and after a driver hunt for the damned video card it works.

BadReligionPR, it seems I owe you a debt of thanks for your suspicions. :bow: Many thanks.

As it only seems stable at the moment (not enough tests to convince me), Im not going to overclock it yet, however I would like to thank all the people who suggested ideas towards my dillema. Thank you :slight_smile: [/B]

To test if it’s stable, do some power-eagering tests.

I suggest to do:

• SiSoft Sandra -> burn in test
  • prime95
  • 3mark (version depens on your video card(

Run these tests for a couple of hours and see what happens…

Im currently running the Si Soft Sandra burn in test, and downloading Prime95.

The video card is so old, I think Ill have to look up 3D Mark 1967 :bigsmile:

I believe I can conclude that it is stable. 8hours 43minutes of Prime95’s torture test running alongside Si Soft Sandra burn in wizard which was ran 63 times in that time frame.

Thank you very much to everyone who replied, it is greatly appreciated. :slight_smile:

Your welcome. Now you just have to get rid of ME and you’ll be good :bigsmile: j/k.