PC locks when burning with Nero

vbimport

Hello !
I have a big problem… (and I am french,… sorry for my english)
Maybe it’s a MB problem, but it comes only when I want to burn a CD… so, I ask here.

My PC runs with W2K, SP4. I have 3 HD (IBM 60 Go, and two Seagate 30 Go).
My DVD Burner was a LiteOn LDW451S, and I try also with a LG (Goldstar GSA4082B mounted on secondary master PCI slot.

I use Nero 6.3.1.13 to burn CDs & DVDs.

The problem: I can use Nero.exe, choose files to burn -> Burn DVD Datas, but, when I click on “Burn” (8x), the system freeze and hangs within about 2 minutes… all programs slowing and freezing one by one till lockup of the computer. The DVD stays like new.

I tried without any prog running -> same problem.
without ADSL running -> same…
without the Creative webcam connected,

I tried to burn a CD with Easy CD Creator 5, but it could never end the burning. The divx on this cd can be read…

I have to say that tree days ago, my computer hanged. I was not trying to burn any CD or DVD… The registry was badly damaged, so I reinstalled all my W2K (and a Pinnacle PCTVSat I bought recently).

Must I try to make a W2K-profil without ADSL card (french Olitec ADSL V92 ready) ?

Thanks to anybody who has an idea.

thierry9
May using DrWatson while trying to burn a DVD can be useful ?

1. Uninstall Adaptec/Roxio EZCD creator.
    side note place original EZCD cd’s on two bricks, practice karate chop / kick / headbutt . Or failing that, sell it on Ebay to an abnoxious evil bastard that deserves to be smacked around like a cake junky. Very satisfying. :wink: Either way you will make the right choice :wink:
  2. Reinstall Aspi Layer (4.6) or Forceaspi (4.7)
  3. Reinstall Nero
  4. Live happily ever after :slight_smile:

New today !!
I had an idea (sometimes…) !
Since all progs seems to hang slowly, one after the other, maybe it’s the RAM (512 Ko) and the swap files who are eaten by the burner.
I just tried to increase the swap file to 4095 Mo max…

And IT BURNS !!

It seems that when Nero (or another burner put the files to burn “in cache”, he (now ?) needs a cache as big as the files… Never saw that thing in my earlier installations (W2K).

Somebody understand it ?

Am I reading this correctly that, your GSA4082B is on a hard drive controller card? If this is the device you are trying to burn with that is causing lockups, I would put it on your mobo’s ide connector.

Does this issue happen with the liteon also?

As debro said, EZCD and Nero don’t play well together.

My MB is a PCI and for flashing the LG-GSA4092B firmware, they ask the burned be connected on secondary master slot (I have still not flashed it). Maybe I was not very clear; sorry for my frenglish :). I have no problem with the Lite-On (LDW451S) that I put back in place because the LG doesn’t work for DVDs.
I reinstalled W2K without any card and SP4 just behind. The swap was fixed to 768-1536 (512 Mo RAM) by the install process. And just now, I could burn a DVD, using nero 6.3.1.13 (speed 2.4, but very low speed verifying…).
I think the problem due to W2K install missed something during the install process.
Thanks for your answer.
thierry9

My MB is a PCI and for flashing the LG-GSA4092B firmware, they ask the burned be connected on secondary master slot (I have still not flashed it). Maybe I was not very clear; sorry for my frenglish :). I have no problem with the Lite-On (LDW451S) that I put back in place because the LG doesn’t work for DVDs.
I reinstalled W2K without any card and SP4 just behind. The swap was fixed to 768-1536 (512 Mo RAM) by the install process. And just now, I could burn a DVD, using nero 6.3.1.13 (speed 2.4, but very low speed verifying…).
I think the problem due to W2K install missed something during the install process.
Thanks for your answer.
thierry9