PC/Internet Security

Here’s another ‘boxers or briefs’ kind of question!
Norton vs Kaspersky
What are your insightful thoughts? :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=dost;2581455]Here’s another ‘boxers or briefs’ kind of question!
Norton vs Kaspersky
What are your insightful thoughts? :)[/QUOTE]

That kinda comparison doesn’t tell much or give much info. There are free version of A/V to me that work just like Norton/Kaspersky and probably better. So just limiting to two version won’t make the discussion go much farther.

I’ll say… NEITHER!

In operation ALONE Norton is one of the most obtrusive AV applications and it cannot help “waving the company flag” to remind you it’s there. and it’s always claiming to find something that turns out to be nothing
(Kinda like a TSA officer slamming you to the floor after finding a nail clipper in your luggage)

First a question:
are you one of those foaming-at-the-mouth anti-Microsoft clowns who was aparrently fitted at birth with a tinfoil hat two sizes too small?

If not consider Microsoft’s FREE "Microsoft Security Essentials"
It has caught and removed some things that Norton and AVG didn’t even detect.

It works… it’s FREE!

More importantly it doesn’t give a host of false alarms like Norton does, seemingly to convince you that A) it’s working and B) that you should renew your subscription.

Because MSE is FREE it doesn’t waste time constantly trying to sell you on the idea of continuing to pay for it.

Lastly, unlike Norton which always seems to want to update and slow your computer at startup (even if you tell it not to) you’ll hardly be aware it’s there.

THE first thing I do when a customer brings me a computer afflicted with that malady generally
refered to as “the slows” is remove ALL the AntiVirus applications.
(typically they have two or more AV programs and the ones that are out of date also waste startup time trying to update before they determine that you haven’t paid)

USUALLY the problem is that someone was foolishly thinking that if one AV application is good then two (Or mre) is better… Ahhhh. Not only no but “HELL NO!”

Having more than one AV applicaton is like trying to move traffic through a busy intersection by using two or more traffic cops, each of which despises the others and is trying to make them
all look bad…

It is my considered belief that whichever Anti-virus I Notice least is probably doing it’s job the best
If it has to constantly advertize itself it probablt isn’t as good as it claims to be and frankly? Norton
is the “poster child” for this obnoxious behavior.

Kaspersky? I have no direct experience with t but as I recall one of the staff here did a comparison
between Kaspersky and MSE and didn’t find a lot of difference in performance…

Granted there was a difference but as I recall their conclusion was that the difference wasn’t worth paying for.

AD

I’ve just recently discovered Comodo Internet Security. It does seem a bit intrusive, and somewhat hard to configure, but once you’ve set it up the way you want, it can be a pretty amazing program. And, like Microsoft Security Essentials, its Free!

In other words, if you like customization (or if you’re one of those foaming-at-the-mouth anti-Microsoft clowns who was aparrently fitted at birth with a tinfoil hat two sizes too small :bigsmile:), choose Comodo. If you like Simplicity, choose Microsoft.

Also, I recommend that everyone download some kind of anti-virus recovery disk (such as the one AVG makes), to clean out all of the viruses that your computer misses.

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2585733]I’ve just recently discovered Comodo Internet Security. It does seem a bit intrusive, and somewhat hard to configure, but once you’ve set it up the way you want, it can be a pretty amazing program. And, like Microsoft Security Essentials, its Free!

In other words, if you like customization (or if you’re one of those foaming-at-the-mouth anti-Microsoft clowns who was aparrently fitted at birth with a tinfoil hat two sizes too small :bigsmile:), choose Comodo. If you like Simplicity, choose Microsoft.

Also, I recommend that everyone download some kind of anti-virus recovery disk (such as the one AVG makes), to clean out all of the viruses that your computer misses.[/QUOTE]

I don’t know what version of comodo you got but from my experience using it and then wiping it clean from my system tells me it was was harder to configure compared to Zonealarm pro. Comodo doesn’t lend itself to customization very well. So before recommending it to others one should know not everyone computer users are that computer savvy and have that much time on their hand to customize their firewall. If you want AV go with AVG or Avira both work well and does more then adequate job in protection your computer and they are free. Zonealarm also has a free firewall as well. And let’s stick to the topic that the OP created was about AV programs not Firewall program. If you feel the need to talk firewall program your best a creating a separate thread dealing with firewall programs…???

@ dost

I used Norton a long time ago (when it came free with some PC magazine).
But after trials (once this free period ran out), opted for Kaspersky.
Which I used for several years.
I now use the latest version of Comodo Internet Security.
Link:

@ TSJnachos117

It is good to offer options.
My only further comment ( as I believe the comodo bit is already covered ).
Is to say that in my experience it seemed that auto updates with MS Security Essentials, didn’t always happen.
Whether it sensed these were minor/no-essential.
I could never really work out.

@ coolcolors

Are you right?
I mean the OP doesn’t really give enough info to be able to ascertian whether they want A/V only or Suites.
Though I would lean towards Suites as the title of the thread is “PC/Internet Security”, not “PC/Antivirus”.
Also to compare Comodo Internet Security suite (free) to ZoneAlarm Pro (not free) appears a tad spurious.
Furthermore, if using 64 bit OS.
ZoneAlarm F/W isn’t really an option in my experience.

I concur if the original OP wants A/V only.
Then from what I know Avira is certainly a very good choice.
Link:

I have used both and greatly prefer Kaspersky if you want to pay for one. It didn’t seem to slow anything down, seemed to catch even nasties that did get in, unlike Nortons, and is constantly updated sometimes several times a day, if got on a good sale it is reasonable to buy.
My sub ran out and I couldn’t find a good deal so I’ve been using Microsoft Security Essentials and it seems fine and is updated at least daily and the price was right when I needed something to protect my new upgrade to 7 64 bit.
I’ll probably go back to Kaspersky when I find a deal and have the money as I like it but all the suggestions here are valid and you have to decide what sounds like the best thing for you.

[QUOTE=soulsurvivor;2585791]

@ [I]coolcolors[/I]

Are you right?
I mean the OP doesn’t really give enough info to be able to ascertian whether they want A/V only or Suites.
Though I would lean towards Suites as the title of the thread is “PC/Internet Security”, not “PC/Antivirus”.
Also to compare Comodo Internet Security suite (free) to ZoneAlarm Pro (not free) appears a tad spurious.
Furthermore, if using 64 bit OS.
ZoneAlarm F/W isn’t really an option in my experience.

I concur if the original OP wants A/V only.
Then from what I know Avira is certainly a very good choice.
[B]Link:[/B][/QUOTE]

Nah I an never alright… lol. It just bugs me when the topic is one thing and responder tries to hijack the thread talking about something that strays to far from what the OP posted about or relates to what the poster is talking about.

[QUOTE=Dartman;2585828]I have used both and greatly prefer Kaspersky if you want to pay for one. It didn’t seem to slow anything down, seemed to catch even nasties that did get in, unlike Nortons, and is constantly updated sometimes several times a day, if got on a good sale it is reasonable to buy.
My sub ran out and I couldn’t find a good deal so I’ve been using Microsoft Security Essentials and it seems fine and is updated at least daily and the price was right when I needed something to protect my new upgrade to 7 64 bit.
I’ll probably go back to Kaspersky when I find a deal and have the money as I like it but all the suggestions here are valid and you have to decide what sounds like the best thing for you.[/QUOTE]

When I say iMS Security Essentials doesn’t always update.
I mean if you manually check, there are often Security Essentials ones ready.
But these do not get uploaded until other updates are available too.
So OK maybe once a day updating is suffice.
I just know most other will update soon after update is available.
Which could several times in 24 hrs.
There again it could be none. :wink:

I have noticed the odd update sitting there waiting for MSE but so far doesn’t seem to be a issue as I don’t think anything has gotten in. Every so often it will turn yellow and tell you you need to run a scan or if you don’t use your PC every day turn red and prompt you to do a update. There is a spot to do a manual update and it tells you when the last time it checked and updated so it’s seem to be pretty proactive for free.
Kaspersky was always telling me when things tried to sneak in or when it needed a update and like that but I set it that way so I would know when something was happening just in case I needed to do anything. You can set it to do everything quietly and almost never give you any warnings as well.

I tried Comodo for a while but found the set-up to be almost incomprehensible. Have switched to MS security Essentials without problems. So far as updating it is concerned, just check the optional updates daily and you’ll be covered.

I’d say neither. Both take forever to run their scans and they bog down your system overall, as well as Kapersky doesn’t offer the best protection. If anything, go with Vipre Antivirus. http://vipreantivirus.com. Get the 29.95 version. It’s a year subscription and it runs smooth. No processing power and it has great protection. :slight_smile:

But, to answer your question, if I had to pick . . . ugh . . . I’d say Norton :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=skipton007;2586719] If anything, go with Vipre Antivirus. [/QUOTE]

http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/False-alarm-over-an-alleged-Samsung-Trojan-1219437.html

the mere existence of the directory C:\Windows\SL is sufficient to generate the alarm (…) The directory is created by the Microsoft Live Slovenian language files.

LOL

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2586833]http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/samsung-keylogger-is-a-gfi-vipre-antivirus-false-positive/12128
http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/False-alarm-over-an-alleged-Samsung-Trojan-1219437.html

LOL

Michael[/QUOTE]This was fixed after a definition update . . . also, antivirus programs do that at times . . . they think that something is a virus when it actually isn’t . . . therefore, this doesn’t mean that Vipre is a bad product just because Samsung was stupid. Even the best make mistakes . … .

Listen to this, "You know all you need to know about the quality of StarLogger from
the fact it creates its own subfolder within the Windows folder. That
is contrary to Microsoft’s developer guidelines and a stupid thing to
do.

I have some sympathy for Vipre. The directories underneath the
Windows folder ought to be predictable, and an unexpected one
appearing is a possible sign of malware.

The world’s press should not have rushed to report this without a
statement from Samsung or without better evidence."

I firmly agree with this statement. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=dost;2581455]Here’s another ‘boxers or briefs’ kind of question!
Norton vs Kaspersky
What are your insightful thoughts? :)[/QUOTE]
Both are crap, but Norton takes the cake.