PC got very slow

I tried everyhting I can think of and I figured I would have some help in brainstorming for more ideas as to what I can do on this.
My friends PC has been working quite well now for approx 2 1/2yrs which is how old the WinXp Home build is. He had only 256RAM but it ran fine for his very simple day to day needs which involved surfing the web and checking his e-mail via webmail. Thats really all he uses it for. Although it RAN fine with only 256RAM I upped it to a 1GB RAM just for the heck of it, did a defrag, ran CCleaner on just about all options checked off. There are only like 5 things in startup and plenty of avilable HDD Space. Virtual memory was never changed and never seemed to be a problem, and this kinda happened out of nowhere as one day it all seemed to just be slow at doing things and startu takes longer during Windows start not during POST. Has the latest antivirus and all up to date definitions, also checked for spyware and that seems clean.

I am thinking Windows time has come an dit needs to be rebuilt but am I missing something?

TIA :wink:

Hi,

did the computer run fine until you installed the additional memory? What happens if you revert to the old state?

Additionally, you should check if all drives are running in DMA mode.

Michael

It ran fine under the 256MB at one point but slowed down, I added the 1GB after the fact do try to alleviate lack of memory.

Drives were all in DMA mode I checked for that as well.

I’m not sure that is a good suggestion, but have you changed some settings in BIOS too? Are you sure that memories are working to the right voltage/frequency?

Have you tried to install memories on a different slot?

Its a crappy Dell and there are only two slots, my friend is not PC savvy enough to know how to get into BIOS to make changes, if he did he would tell me. Also its kinda my dads friend and he is a much older person, in his 70’s, who would not really be messing up the PC, he is somewhat afraid of it and only does what he knows (rather what I have taught him thus far).

I’m afraid a total format - reinstall might be my only resolution here… urgh :a

Hi :slight_smile:
Before formatting try [B]this:[/B]

If automatic update is enabled, try disabling it.
I’ve seen it cripple several able PCs to a crawl.

It’s possible that this Dell’s memory controller cannot address that much memory.
A massive slow-down can occur with too much memory installed.

Also look at non-MS Services and see if you can find something resource hungry that is set to Automatic and running. ([B]services.msc[/B] in Run Box)

[B]msconfig[/B] ( in Run Box) click on CPU and the resource users move to the top of the list

I’ve seen that too and have found no solution other than to disable Automatic Updates.
This problem has suddenly appeared or suddenly become worse on some systems after receiving some updates (I’m not sure which updates), so it’s something that can seemingly “happen by itself”.

Microsoft KB927891 provides a partial solution for making the Automatic Updated check take shorter time, but it can still kill the performance of the system while update checking is in progress.

updates disables along with remote assistance as well as restore
like i said before the problem happened prior to the ram install

this is a really tough one… very agitating I must say

OK, memory is off the table because the type and amount is correct.

You say startup is taking longer…
There has to be something in the Startup Folder that wasn’t there before.
I would look at that again.

Also malware…I wouldn’t rule that out yet.
Try an on-line scan from Kaspersky or Bit Defender for a second opinion.

Try a Linux/BSD LiveCD, if its just as slow running those it’s a hardware issue otherwise it’s a software issue. Unless you can find it easily take a backup and reformat it’ll be the fastest solution.

http://www.freesbie.org/ - Example of a Live CD

Windows --> SP2 (if not included) --> Autopatcher --> Drivers: Chipset, Video, Sound, Network etc --> Applications
Do not plug in the network cable until you’ve at least installed Autopatcher.
//Danne

1).Spyware

Download, install, update and Immunize, then click ‘Check for problems’ then when complete select all and then ‘Fix Checked’

2).Temp files
you find and delete *.tmp files
Perfect Optimizer – Registry Cleaner:
http://www.Easy-Registry-Clean.info

3). you use scan disk :-
you go to my computer-> rightclick -> Properties -> tools
Error-checking [Check Now] click

4). you use Defragment Now :-
Defragmentation [Defragment Now] click

GOOD LUCK!

[QUOTE=NevilB;2208801]1).Spyware

Download, install, update and Immunize, then click ‘Check for problems’ then when complete select all and then ‘Fix Checked’

2).Temp files
you find and delete *.tmp files
Perfect Optimizer – Registry Cleaner:
http://www.Easy-Registry-Clean.info

3). you use scan disk :-
Error-checking [Check Now] click

4). you use Defragment Now :-
Defragmentation [Defragment Now] click

GOOD LUCK![/QUOTE]

Thanks, but when I had the problem [B]2 years ago[/B], I ended up doing a clean install to fix it.

I would do a repair install of windows and then install all critical updates and check that driver are all updated. If that doesnt help I would check for hardware conflicts…

[quote=mikemn;2210652]I would do a repair install of windows and then install all critical updates and check that driver are all updated. If that doesnt help I would check for hardware conflicts…[/quote]Like he said in the post above yours the problem was 2 years ago :wink:

LOL I guess I failed my speed reading Class :slight_smile: