PC Doesn't Restart Properly

vbimport

PC Doesn’t Restart Properly

HP Pavilion 8674D that came with Win98se that was upgraded to WinXP SP3 doesn’t restart properly, and the same problem is seen on newly formatted hard drive with Win98se installed and on the WinXP upgrade. The problem is exactly like the one posted at »www.computing.net/answers/window···866.html for which I’ve found no solution. Shut down works normally, but restart doesn’t. Could the old HP have been designed that way, could there be some hardware problem, or does anybody know a solution to this problem?

I get a “File not found” when clicking the link you provided. Don’t know of any PC that was/is designed not to restart. Have you checked running processes for anything that might affect a restart? If you can boot from the CD rom, try any live linux CD and see if restart works at least you’ll know if it’s hardware related or not.

HP Pavilion 8674D that came with Win98se that was upgraded to WinXP SP3 doesn’t restart properly, and the same problem is seen on newly formatted hard drive with Win98se installed and on the WinXP upgrade. The problem is exactly like the one posted at »www.computing.net/answers/window···866.html for which I’ve found no solution. Shut down works normally, but restart doesn’t. Could the old HP have been designed that way, could there be some hardware problem, or does anybody know a solution to this problem?

Apart from the hardware dying, this could be an ACPI issue. Especially Medion supermarket computers can’t always be trusted. Perhaps there is a Bios update for this fossile available.

Additional remark: Installing XP on top on a Win98 is pure nonsense.

Michael

bevills1, can you please describe the issue instead of posting a link like that. :slight_smile:

The link worked when posted and doesn’t work now, but clicking the first link for computing.net at http://www.google.com/search?q=computer+doesn’t+restart+properly&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1&rlz=1I7ADSA_en takes you to the thread.

In case this link fails, what happens is Windows shuts down, but the PC remains powered on without restarting. It’s necessary to press and hold the power button to turn off the PC and then press the power button to restart.

I did the upgrade install hoping some of the drivers may be useful because I find no XP drivers for this old PC. I agree a fresh install is best, but I thought the upgrade option advisable in this situation.

[QUOTE=bevills1;2541270]In case this link fails, what happens is Windows shuts down, but the PC remains powered on without restarting. It’s necessary to press and hold the power button to turn off the PC and then press the power button to restart.[/quote]Sounds like a ACPI issue. Bios is latest and ACPI (sometimes denoted as ICPA) enabled?

I did the upgrade install hoping some of the drivers may be useful because I find no XP drivers for this old PC. I agree a fresh install is best, but I thought the upgrade option advisable in this situation.
Win9x drivers on a NT box is evil. If the computer is that old, then XP should have all drivers inside.

Michael

It shows Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC in Device Manager, and I don’t believe ACPI is an issue, It seems the problem has nothing to do with Windows because I find the same problem occurs exiting BIOS, i.e. upon exit from BIOS PC doesn’t start as it should while remaining powered on and power button must be pressed until it turns off and then started by pressing power button again.

Also I noticed BIOS shows the floppy drive as “Legacy Drive A” and also has a Legacy Support option in BIOS. I believe this restart problem is due to Legacy hardware for which there may be no fix, and best option may be to select “Turn Off” instead of restart and press the power button to start when a restart is needed in this circumstance.

This model has no XP drivers available everywhere. My best bet is to get the updated drivers from each and every manufacturer (for instance, an intel network interface card, get it at intel.com).

There’s a good chance XP did update the drivers with the wrong drivers.