Pc cooling fans

vbimport

pc cooling fans

Plesae can someone tell me if you are adding extra cooling fans to you pc caes do you have them sucking cool air in or do you have the blowing the warm air out thanks for any help

I’ve got 4 fans (not including cpu fan) which all are set to blow the air out the case.

Cpu fan is set to blow air away from the cpu.

I guess it depends on the airflow you want to create

normally an extra fan on the front sucks air in, while an extra fan at the back blows air out.

I have a computercase, which contains 7 (!) fans, standard

4 at the front, sucking air in
2 at the back blowing air out
1 at the side panel, blowing air out

For the best, you make the air suck in from below and throw it out above…

I have just one intake fan in my case, and 3 outtake fans (excluding the three fans in my PSU and, the CPU fan and the drive fans)…

Got you all beat. 10 fans here.:stuck_out_tongue:
2 front sucking
2 side sucking
1 top blowing
2 rear blowing
1 CPU
2 PSU

There’s a wrong way to do this, which is to have too much negative pressure in the case. (more blowing out than in). this causes air and dust to be sucked in through the front bay drives and loads them up with dust. you need to balance it with just a little bit of negative pressure. So I use a combination of Panaflo low medium and high fans to get the right balance and flow.
Depends on the case too, some are designed for airflow, others are not.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
[B]Got you all beat. 10 fans here.:stuck_out_tongue:
2 front sucking
2 side sucking
1 top blowing
2 rear blowing
1 CPU
2 PSU

There’s a wrong way to do this, which is to have too much negative pressure in the case. (more blowing out than in). this causes air and dust to be sucked in through the front bay drives and loads them up with dust. you need to balance it with just a little bit of negative pressure. So I use a combination of Panaflo low medium and high fans to get the right balance and flow.
Depends on the case too, some are designed for airflow, others are not. [/B]

no fair :slight_smile: , if i add the psu fans , it’s 7 for me (still no ten , but closer :slight_smile: ). There’s also a fan in the plastic sidepanel.

concerning that balance; That’s why i put a picture of my pc case with the first post. As you can see both sides are perforated at the top. The little dust that pulls in , i take for granted.

Cpu fan is set to blow air away from the cpu.

Mr B, what cooler are you using with the reversed fan?

Originally posted by rdgrimes

Mr B, what cooler are you using with the reversed fan?

CPU Cooler Thermalright SK-7 adjustable.

Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere
[B]

no fair :slight_smile: , if i add the psu fans , it’s 7 for me (still no ten , but closer :slight_smile: ). There’s also a fan in the plastic sidepanel.

concerning that balance; That’s why i put a picture of my pc case with the first post. As you can see both sides are perforated at the top. The little dust that pulls in , i take for granted. [/B]

Actually, pulling a pantyhose over the fan will prevent your case getting dusty… the only thing you have to do is to clean the pantyhose every couple of weeks…

Not all of us have pantyhose laying around. Perhaps you can loan us some of yours? :o

well if where going to count fans im going to the first place with 11 fans :slight_smile:

3X front intake
3X back outtake
1X outtake side panel
2X PSU fan
2X CPU fan (1X CPU1 & 1X CPU2)

is 11 total

try and beat this :stuck_out_tongue:

What fans? Used to use 2 intake/2 exhaust for my antec 830, but even the super low dba fans’ noise is driving me nuts. I’m only doing 2 exhaust plus the PSU’s exhaust now. Alpha PAL8045’s fan’s sucking. But Thermalright’s SLK800’s fan’s blowing.

Actually, intake fans do almost nothing to lower case temps, but they do a very good job of cooling drives. I have one blowing right on the CPU that’s a big help. Another blowing on the Video and 2 on the HD’s. but if I turn them off the case temp is the same.

Have you noticed having intake fans bring in a lot more dust? I gotta find something to filter the holes up front where the intake fans used to be, 'cause even w/o them, I’m still getting dust, just not as much as when intake fans are installed. My 3 HDs are not hot at all. I don’t know how people come up w/ 50C for HD temps, but mine are just luke warm after a whole day of doing nothing (encoding videos).

It’s turbulence that forces the dust to “precipitate” on to surfaces. The amount of dust entering the case is the same, given the same air volume. Anyway, there are a couple fan filter add-ons available. My LianLi case came with one on the front. Addings some tackiness, (filter charger) to the filter helps too. You can get stuff at Home Despot. I just keep a can of air by the case, and everytime I open it (seems like that’s pretty often), I hose everything down.

CPU Cooler Thermalright SK-7 adjustable

@ Mr B

What’s adjustable? the fan? SK-7 here also, my diode temp raises about 2-3’C if I reverse the fan.

Must be talking about one of them thermaltake smart cases w/ manual or auto temp regulation. Personally, I don’t buy any of the temp adjustable fans.

my diode temp raises about 2-3’C if I reverse the fan.

You talking about the heatsink fan or case fan. From blow to suck or vice versa.

You talking about the heatsink fan or case fan

CPU fan. some peole get slightly better cooling by reversing it. Not me. I use a Antec SmartFan Remote on the CPU, it works great. I stick the sensor down in between 2 fins near the base. It’s calibrated for CPU temps, so when the CPU hits about 55’C, it cranks up to > 40CFM (around 3300RPM), and below about 51’C it slows down to around 2600-2700 RPM. The Thermaltake smartfan is calibrated wery much the same but with slightly higher CFM rating. Some other smart fans are calibrated for case temps, and are not appropriate for CPU.