PC boots from Dvd drive only when forced to

I bought a new Dvd burner a few days ago. I started using it and everything was fine until i tried to boot my pc with a xp installation cd. I changed the boot order so it looked on the dvd drive first but it just skips the cd boot as if it wasn’t a booteable cd.

I have tried with several booteable cd’s and i have the same result: it just says “looking boot from cd… not found” and it starts the OS normally; so basically it just ignores the cd boot.

I have partially found a solution. I disabled the boot from HD and other devices except the Dvd drive and it firsts checks the dvd drive and the same “looking boot from cd… not found” appears. Then it asks for a booteable device to be inserted and press enter (because as i said i disabled the rest of devices). What i do is press ESC key and then it looks for a boot on the cd again and now it does boot from the cd.

It’s really weird. This is the first time i have a problem like this. I hope you can help.

Thanks

Are you pressing a key during boot up when the message appears “Press any key to boot from CD?” It shouldn’t boot to CD unless a key is pressed at this message.

[QUOTE=bevills1;2312367]Are you pressing a key during boot up when the message appears “Press any key to boot from CD?” It shouldn’t boot to CD unless a key is pressed at this message.[/QUOTE]

Maybe i didn’t explain myself. The Pc doesn’t get to the point of [I]“Press any key to boot from CD”
[/I] because it doesn’t recognizes the disc the first time and that’s why i have to force it. But what i wonder is why i have to force the boot when it should work without doing it. it should read the booteable disc just by telling the Dvd-rom to be the first boot device.

Maybe the drive is defective. Try booting to a different optical drive.

Is the install CD the original or a copy, and is it on CD-R or CD-RW media if it’s a copy? I have a CD-RW drive that will boot to CD-R but not to CD-RW media.

Maybe the drive is defective. Try booting to a different optical drive.

I don’t think so because the Dvd rom is brand new.

Is the install CD the original or a copy, and is it on CD-R or CD-RW media if it’s a copy? I have a CD-RW drive that will boot to CD-R but not to CD-RW media.

It’s an original Xp installation disc

Thanks

[QUOTE=dexbarrett;2312454]Maybe i didn’t explain myself. The Pc doesn’t get to the point of [I]“Press any key to boot from CD”
[/I] because it doesn’t recognizes the disc the first time and that’s why i have to force it. But what i wonder is why i have to force the boot when it should work without doing it. it should read the booteable disc just by telling the Dvd-rom to be the first boot device.[/QUOTE]

Maybe would be more helpful if you give us the hardware specs and cabling setup and motherboard that would help more to find the problem. Rather giving us general questions only gets general help.

Is the new drive the only optical drive connected? One system I have boots to either of 2 optical drives when CD is set as first boot device in BIOS, but I have another system with 2 optical drives which will only boot to the one selected in the BIOS. In that second system it only boots to CD drive if CD drive is selected in BIOS and only boots to DVD drive if DVD drive is selected in BIOS. Obviously this means a boot CD won’t boot when placed in the DVD drive if the CD drive is selected in BIOS and conversely won’t boot to boot CD placed in CD drive if DVD drive is selected in BIOS.

Make sure you have checked the booting order and boot from other device settings FIRST.