PC been moved, now not working - what could it be?

OK, so a lady that I know recently gave her daughter her old computer.

Thing is, when the daughter got it, it wouldn’t work. It switched on, fans whirring but no display. So it’s gone from being fine, to going in a car, being driven and taken out, and now not working.

They gave it to me to see if I could see what was wrong with it. I’ve tried it on other monitors and no result - still power but no display. So apart from taking everything out and putting it back together, can anyone think what may be causing this?

I’ve checked all of the components and they all look solidly in place so something being dislodged seems out, and no loose screws shorting it - can’t see what’s missing.

Make sure all internal connectors are secure. Also try reseating the video card.

You might want to reseat RAM and possibly CPU/CPU-Cooler too.
//Danne

Make sure all internal connectors are secure. Also try reseating the [U]video card[/U]

Solid advice
bean55

Right, so basically reseat everything - may as well take apart and reassemble then? :wink:

[QUOTE=groovemeister;2012679]Right, so basically reseat everything - may as well take apart and reassemble then? ;)[/QUOTE]

You should be an expert now at PC repair/diagnositcs, lol.

Reseating it all would not hurt, but If in a hurray try the video card first.
Had somewhat the same problem with one of mine. I had to downgrade to a basic video card to get it up and then reinstall the better card afterwards.Never did figure out why , I only moved the computer from upstairs to downstairs.

bean55

[QUOTE=eric93se;2012771]You should be an expert now at PC repair/diagnositcs, lol.[/QUOTE]At least it’s not one of mine this time!

Well, I have reseated the CPU, RAM and video card. It still has no display.

My money’s on the video card being bust, as I can hear the HDD getting to work and it sounds like it’s booting up when I switch it on. It’s a PCI card… really basic. The PC is ancient as it is, probably an antique by computer standards. Old socket 7 Pentium CPU with SDRAM, no PS/2 connectors!

Personally I would suspect the monitor before the video card, since its so old and all.

I’ve tried it on other monitors and no result - still power but no display

Sounds like the Video card at this point.

bean55

It’s not the monitor, I’ve tried the PC on other working monitors.

Test everything in a computer that you know works.
//Danne

Unfortunately it’s so old that the computers that I have are incompatible with its parts!

It’s not a great loss TBH. For £30 I could install a 1GHz processor and 512MB of RAM and it’s be a vast improvement over what they have!

Try a new motherboard battery. I had the same thing on a DFI board, tried different video, ram, and cpu, only got display to come on after replacing battery.