Pbds dvd+rw ds-8w1p

Hello all,

I have a problem with my dvd player.It won’t read original movie dvd’s,burned mp3 music cd’s and I have no idea about original music cd’s as I have none.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop with windows XP sp3 and my windows is updated comepletely.In the device manager list this is the DVD rom listed: PBDS DVD+RW DS-8W1P.

I am computer illiterate when it comes to knowing the manufacturer or companies for computer components so I havn’t the slightest idea who made this.

My problem:
I load a movie dvd into my drive.A pop up window apears and asks me to choose a program to load the disk.I chose windows media player as this seems to be the only thing listed aside from opening the folder and doing nothing.When I installed Inter Actual Player from a movie dvd it opened up,but when I came to press play to play the dvd it gave me this error message: Error PL4013: Playback failed due to a problem with the video subsystem. You may be using an unsupported display mode or your system may not have a working decoder installed. Please ensure that your DVD decoder is functioning…and when I try using windows media player 10-11 it also gives me an error message : Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because a compatible DVD decoder is not installed on your computer.

How do I get a dvd decoder for my dvd player model?

I forgot to mention that my laptop was purchased second hand and it was loaded with windows vista and I didn’t like it so I got a friend to remove it,he had alot of trouble since I didn’t have a single driver for it,and install windows xp home on it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :o :sad: I feel so retarded that it may be just a simple error my friend may have forgotten something etc and i’m not computer savvy enough to notice till now :frowning:

Try downloading the free VLC and see if that’ll play your DVD movies. :slight_smile:

About the music CDs…what are you using to try and play those, and what error are you getting?

BTW, welcome to CDF :slight_smile:

I have windows media player and I also have winamp.Nothing happens at all when I put a burned music cd in the drive.I used NTI CD & DVD Maker 7 on my other laptop and the cd plays well.

Windows XP does not come with a native dvd decoder. Try the program Arachne mentioned. It is a free program that can play your dvds. It doesn’t rely on outside codecs.

Thank you.I installed VLC and it worked!I was able to play a dvd in my dvd rom but the picture was really choppy at times.Sound was good.Is there anything else I can do to fix this?Why can’t I use windows media player?

Windows XP does not come with a dvd decoder. That is why you cannot use Windows Media Player. You can, of course, buy a dvd decoder to use in WMP, but you might as well just get a commercial program like WinDVD or PowerDVD instead.