PBDS DVD +-RW DS-8W1P help?

PBDS DVD ±RW DS-8W1P

Hello, I have the above drive and can not find any firmware for it anywhere. It doesn’t seem to read a majority of the media I have tested with it. I am using Nero and can burn only 1 brand so far of single layer DVD and have not found any DVD-DL it will burn. It wont even recognize alot of my dvds burned on other computers. I am considering returning it since this is a relatively new laptop.

Before I do that, I thought I would check and see if anyone has any suggestions.

Hi,

according to your description, this is a laptop drive. The only source for newer firmwares is the support website of your laptop’s manufacturer.
If your laptop is still under warranty, then have it serviced.

Michael

[QUOTE=m0b1liz3;1879725]PBDS DVD ±RW DS-8W1P

Hello, I have the above drive and can not find any firmware for it anywhere. It doesn’t seem to read a majority of the media I have tested with it. I am using Nero and can burn only 1 brand so far of single layer DVD and have not found any DVD-DL it will burn. It wont even recognize alot of my dvds burned on other computers. I am considering returning it since this is a relatively new laptop.

Before I do that, I thought I would check and see if anyone has any suggestions.[/QUOTE]

I used the liteon tool to make it region free but not found to much other data/firmware on the web.

I must say its a very quiet when reading/writing

Puddy

[quote=puddy;1940230]I used the liteon tool to make it region free but not found to much other data/firmware on the web.

I must say its a very quiet when reading/writing

Puddy[/quote]

Hi, I got the same drive, could you please elaborate how u managed to get it work region free.

Have a look at this post. :flower:

[QUOTE=wallace0134;1962168]Have a look at this post. :flower:[/QUOTE]:clap: good thinking Albert :flower:

Thanks a lot. Will give it a try.

It worked! Thanks :slight_smile:

Hello,

I also have this drive and can’t seem to find any firmware supporting bitsetting…
Has anyone found a LiteOn firmware suitable for this drive that supports bitsettings?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

this drive is manufactured by dell.

this is the latest firmware : http://ftp.us.dell.com/rmsd/DS-8W1P_BD1C.zip

Welcome to cdfreaks [I]hefman[/I]. :slight_smile:

Think drive and also firmware posted are “manufactured” by [B]Lite-On[/B].
(This is a Dell rebadged Lite-On burner.)

Happy burning. :flower:

In case it helps someone else (despite the age of the original post):

I just ran into problems with a DS-8W1P in a Dell SFF PC. The first three Verbatim 16x -R (MCC-03GR20) burns from a new stack all failed (they’d been using Maxell-branded CMC discs up to now :Z).

I updated the firmware from BD1A to BD1C (Dell update R190635) and tried again with ImgBurn, but this also failed (peak PI failures of over 300!):

Yet a disc from the same stack burned fine on my SH-S203B, so the problem isn’t with the media.

I then tried a Verbatim 16x +R (MCC-004) and got a great burn:

Seems to me that this drive has a problem with MCC-03GR20…