PayPal freezes "charity" account, rage ensues

vbimport

PayPal freezes “charity” account, rage ensues.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2011/12/iYjMRe.jpg[/newsimage]A popular blog, Regretsy got themselves into a dispute with PayPal recently after the online payment company froze their account. The site was organizing a gift exchange to provide toys for children in need.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/paypal-freezes-charity-account-rage-ensues-55513/](http://www.myce.com/news/paypal-freezes-charity-account-rage-ensues-55513/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Well we really don’t know all the facts do we? Personally I have used that Donate button at times & it’s up the individual to decide, but one has to wonder where that money is really going. Also to supposedly fight back by posting FY PayPal doesn’t exactly sound like a Charity, Business or Foundation I would want to donate to.

[QUOTE=rontheripper;2614577]Well we really don’t know all the facts do we? Personally I have used that Donate button at times & it’s up the individual to decide, but one has to wonder where that money is really going. Also to supposedly fight back by posting FY PayPal doesn’t exactly sound like a Charity, Business or Foundation I would want to donate to.[/QUOTE]

Ditto and agreed.

[QUOTE=rontheripper;2614577]Well we really don’t know all the facts do we? Personally I have used that Donate button at times & it’s up the individual to decide, but one has to wonder where that money is really going. Also to supposedly fight back by posting FY PayPal doesn’t exactly sound like a Charity, Business or Foundation I would want to donate to.[/QUOTE]

The “FY PayPal” wasn’t posted until the mentioned conversation with the representative took place, which was quite ridiculous and Helen Killer had all the right to get all that angry, but then it’s not PayPal’s fault but the representative’s own stupidity.

I use the “Donate” button regularly, and no, it’s not always “for charity” or “non-profit”, sometimes it’s for worthy people who put their work out to the world and asking for nothing in return (Programmers and developers of open source and free software mostly).

It is just a single isolated incident of a customer service representative’s incompetency. Paypal have done more than they have to, they corrected the man’s wrongdoing, apologised, and even done a donation to the affected fund themselves… Now WE would be the greedy #$#$# if we still require more than that from the company! Those who’ve closed their accounts and swore not to deal with paypal ever again are simply way too emotional and not willing to forgive others even when others admit that they’re at fault!

I don’t know, but in less words, an incident happened, it was awful, but paypal reacted in a really nice manner and corrected it. So well done paypal, I’m renewing my trust in them, and I believe that specific representative is gonna have some well-deserved scolding…

The real problem is that although Regretsy’s 100k fans and followers were able to raise enough of a ruckus to back Paypal down, they are hardly the only group this has happened to. If you look online for Paypal fraud, Paypal scam, or Paypal Sucks, you’ll easily find hundreds or thousands of people who have had money frozen or even stolen entirely by PayPal.These weren’t people engaged in illicit activity, these are normal internet buyers and sellers who have no power and no voice against a company known for its capricious decisionmaking.

Paypal has an opportunity right now to reform its policies and train its employees how to tell a fraud from a donation drive. (The funding drive at Regretsy was initially frozen because the community donated so much so quickly that it sent up a flag in the system, a flag that was responded to in exactly the wrong manner by some employee.) If they can turn it around, they might salvage something from this experience. Otherwise, there are lots of up-and-coming payment systems eager to grab some of their market.

[QUOTE=electra310;2614634]Paypal has an opportunity right now to reform its policies and train its employees how to tell a fraud from a donation drive. (The funding drive at Regretsy was initially frozen because the community donated so much so quickly that it sent up a flag in the system, a flag that was responded to in exactly the wrong manner by some employee.) If they can turn it around, they might salvage something from this experience. Otherwise, there are lots of up-and-coming payment systems eager to grab some of their market.[/QUOTE]

I see now, I think what you’re saying is absolutely valid, and there’s no doubt that LOTS of the companies out there need to put more into training of their customer service, esp. that they are the actual face that the outside world is seeing and building or changing an opinion based upon it.

Well, I hope paypal will be more cautious from now on, and hopefully we won’t hear more of the likes of this incident happening, let’s just wait and see…