Paypal freezes accounts of Usenet resellers - for copyright infringement

vbimport

Paypal freezes accounts of Usenet resellers - for copyright infringement.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2012/11/WW1vdC.png[/newsimage]Dutch media report that Paypal has frozen the accounts of five Dutch usenet resellers today because they violated Paypal's terms.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/paypal-freezes-accounts-of-usenet-resellers-for-copyright-infringement-64923/](http://www.myce.com/news/paypal-freezes-accounts-of-usenet-resellers-for-copyright-infringement-64923/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

In my opinion, what Paypal does here is more illegal than what the Usenet resellers do. Actually Paypal is a bank now and they are keeping money they do not own.

[QUOTE=Liggy;2665014]Paypal is a bank now and they are keeping money they do not own.[/QUOTE]

I can’t help thinking that’s what all banks do. :p:bigsmile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

Since when is Paypal the police?

Once again, the innocent are punished by supposed copyright infringement. Seriously, I think it’s time for reform of international intellectual property laws. I think we are all tired of these games!

[QUOTE=Liggy;2665014]In my opinion, what Paypal does here is more illegal than what the Usenet resellers do. Actually Paypal is a bank now and they are keeping money they do not own.[/QUOTE]

Liggy,

what were you smoking when you made that comment buddy? :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=FreqNasty_RiseS;2665095]what were you smoking when you made that comment buddy? :P[/QUOTE]
I have never smoked anything in my life and have no plans to change this :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=Liggy;2665014]In my opinion, what Paypal does here is more illegal than what the Usenet resellers do. Actually Paypal is a bank now and they are keeping money they do not own.[/QUOTE]

Yes indeed it really is about stealing money for corporate interest isn’t it.

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2665085]Once again, the innocent are punished by supposed copyright infringement. Seriously, I think it’s time for reform of international intellectual property laws. I think we are all tired of these games![/QUOTE]

For sure corporations such as the RIAA, MPAA have enjoyed too much power while the rest of us suffer constant claims and actions taken without a court order which should involve the suspected people and the corporations making the outlandish claims no more due process??? in America it’s all about corporate interest and BIG MONEY.

[QUOTE=DrDuty411;2665141]in America it’s all about corporate interest and BIG MONEY.[/QUOTE]
You shouldn’t limit this to America. :disagree:

It’s the same here in Germany :Z

What a load of BS. It s really none of PayPal’s business what the user is selling, no matter what !!

They are acting like police. Sounds like my RBC bank in Canada!

What legal basis is there for this? If they violated the Terms of Service of Paypal, doesn’t Paypal have to [I][B][U]PROVE [/U][/B][/I]it? I’m not from the Netherlands so I don’t know the laws there, but in the United States, there has to be proof otherwise the charges don’t stick.

[QUOTE=hogger129;2665177]What legal basis is there for this? If they violated the Terms of Service of Paypal, doesn’t Paypal have to [I][B][U]PROVE [/U][/B][/I]it? I’m not from the Netherlands so I don’t know the laws there, but in the United States, there has to be proof otherwise the charges don’t stick.[/QUOTE]
While the above is true most of the time it takes litagation by someone to make a company [B]PROVE[/B] it. That takes time & costs money even if the wronged party wins in the end.
If their government would access a large fine on PayPal whne they were proved wrong it would make them think next time . I doubt that will happen though.

While I dislike the decision as much as the next guy, it’s really no different to a file locker suspending your account because of copyright infringement. It was written in the terms of service.

[QUOTE=FreqNasty_RiseS;2665095]Liggy,

what were you smoking when you made that comment buddy? :P[/QUOTE]
I think he is right. Who are Paypal to steal money from customers. Only a court can freeze someones bank account. The Problem with Paypal is they like to bully customers as they know they are the biggest.

paypal has there terms of service if you break them they freeze the account and all money in it and there is not a darn thing you can do if you Violate the TOS and no court order is needed.

Another reason not to use paypal.:Z

Regardless of the TOS PayPal still doesn’t have the right to keep someone else’s money . A person might just need to sue to get it & should sue for the interest as well . Maybe punitive damages too.

[QUOTE=cholla;2665278]Regardless of the TOS PayPal still doesn’t have the right to keep someone else’s money . A person might just need to sue to get it & should sue for the interest as well . Maybe punitive damages too.[/QUOTE]I do agree but they do have the right if the account they believe has violated the TOS and they freeze the account then after about six months of phone calls and 50 or so emails if your lucky you will get your money released.

I don’t think it is right but paypal has been noted for this just a quick google search will so plenty of their BS ways.:rolleyes: