Paul Thurrott's Microsoft Office 11 Preview

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/office11_beta1.asp

What’s next?
Microsoft representatives told me to expect Office 11 Beta 2 in the February-March 2003 timeframe, and the final release is expected around mid-2003. Even at this early stage, however, Office 11 appears to be a compelling upgrade, especially for the critical enterprise market that Microsoft is targeting. No doubt I’ll have more to say about this exciting product suite in the coming months.

–Paul Thurrott
December 6, 2002

When I heard that Office 11 is going to use XML as make-up language for the documents I was really exited about that. XML makes exchanging data (Excel) and publishing documents (Word) really easy, and compitable with others.

Now I read that MS is implementing their own XML standard, so there goes the compatability. So I’ll just stick to my Office 2000 (I’ve got that one legal… and don’t want to pay for a worthless update, like Office XP is to me)…

openoffice.org is for me.

free, fast and reliable.

can even read & save as MS office documents :slight_smile:

Originally posted by pps111
[B]openoffice.org is for me.

free, fast and reliable.

can even read & save as MS office documents :slight_smile: [/B]

I use it as well… but… many documents made by companies (I need those) are made with quite complex make-up and that’ll give compatibility issues. I simply use both… :slight_smile:

Office 11 looks stupid. MS Outlook will still be bloated and slow. MS will still charge 5x too much for the real deal (fortunately I qualify for the students 1/5th price version currently).

www.openoffice.org. Remember it. Learn it. Use it.
www.mandrake.com. Remember it. Learn it. Use it.

'Nuff said.