Patin-couffin problems

vbimport

when the new patin-couffin version came out (version 14) i uninstalled my old blindwrite and patin-couffin, so that i would get a fresh installation of patin-couffin. but after i installed blindwrite (4.5.5, i think), patin-couffin couldnt find any drives. i tried to install the old patin-couffin that worked but that version didnt want to work either. if i used aspi blindwrite would work. my drives were a hitachi dvd-rom and a lite-on burner.
i contacted VSO support and got great help (from Ken, i think), but we didnt find what the problem was, so i decided to use aspi instead of patin-couffin (although i liked patin-couffin more). some days ago i got an LG dvd writer and found out that patin-couffin would find the dvd-writer but not the other drive. the drives i had in my pc when i uninstalled patin-couffin, was the drives patin-couffin couldnt find, but the new drives it did. i decided to post this here instead of sending this with email to VSO so that if i get a solution to this problem others can get help to (if anyone ever has the same problem).

i would really like to get patin-couffin to recognize all the drives i have in my pc (currently a lite-on cd-writer and a LG dvd-writer)

Hi genjai,

When I had Patin Couffin trouble recently I monitored the installation of the (then) latest version of BW suite which was 4.5.7… and the new Patin Couffin layer overwrote the old version, BUT uninstalling then re-installing an older BW suite version DOESN’T overwrite a newer Patin Couffin layer!

If you look at this thread, there are some instructions to remove Patin Couffin. You could try removing then re-installing to see if it cures your troubles? (The uninstaller doesn’t remove Patin Couffin OR the autoplay filter according to lapinou). How you remove the autoplay filter is a military secret. :wink:

(All this was on Win98SE btw)

HTH?

Lazer.

I may ask a silly question, but what does patin-couffin do ? And what kind of problem does it give ?

Mizar21

hi lazer

how did you monitor the installation of bw?
i got a list from vso support about every file and where they were installed so i could remove them manually, and that is what i did before installing the old version, but it didnt help. vso support did also send me pcsetup.exe and i tried with that too, but it didnt work.

mizar21:
patin-couffin is an access layer just as aspi is, but i think patin-couffin gives more access to the drives. it usually doesnt give any problems, but as all software something can go wrong

Originally posted by genjai
[B]hi lazer

how did you monitor the installation of bw?
i got a list from vso support about every file and where they were installed so i could remove them manually, and that is what i did before installing the old version, but it didnt help. vso support did also send me pcsetup.exe and i tried with that too, but it didnt work.[/b]

It’s a VERY old app from Win95, but works brilliantly on 98 and 98SE too. Monitors and logs (as far as I can tell) EVERY addition/deletion/change including the registry. Unfortunately it won’t work on XP (not surprisingly).

Sorry the suggestions didn’t help, bit of a weird one eh? I expect you’ve already been told this, but when you use pcsetup.exe or delete the .vxds manually there won’t be any changes (as far as the system is concerned) until AFTER a reboot, which can send you on a wild goose chase if you’re not careful. :slight_smile:

Lazer.

(btw If they also told you how to manually uninstall the autoplay filter from the system, if you can PM me the details it’d be appreciated, ta)

i did reboot after removing the files, but it didnt help. does pcsetup do the same thing as i would do manually like removing *.vdx files. it would be easier to remove the files with pcsetup then manually. i use windows xp

about autoplay. they didnt tell me how to remove it, but i guess you could install only autoplay and monitor what happens.

Originally posted by genjai
[B]i did reboot after removing the files, but it didnt help. does pcsetup do the same thing as i would do manually like removing *.vdx files. it would be easier to remove the files with pcsetup then manually. i use windows xp

[/B]

With pcsetup.exe, that also removes a registry entry. The CLI parameters were in the other thread.

What Patin Couffin layer is on the system now? Is that the same layer you had before installing v14?

I assume all the devices show up OK in the device manager in XP without conflicts etc. and the DMA settings are all normal?

Maybe (just maybe) the new autoplay filter installed along with the v14 layer might be causing some conflicts?

Lazer.

there are no device conflicts and dma is enablet on all drives.

i removed everything after bw 4.5.7 (i mean everything, no leftovers) then installed it again and still only my dvd-writer showed upp.
i removed again everything and this time i installed bw 4.2.5 that i downloadet from the sticky post in this forum and still the same problem.

all the old drives that where in the pc when i first uninstalled bw cant be found, but new ones can. its just weird.

Btw, I have just installed CopyToDVD 2.2.10 and when I ask it to create a DVD-Video project and select the video_ts.ifo (movie-only backup, made with Shrink), I get a critical error message that it can’t connect to the HW access layer (P-C or aspi). I’m on WinME with aspi 4.60.1021, properly installed, and I do not use BW.

Once I tried to install DVDXCopy, but it couldn’t recognize my Pioneer A06/106D, and I uninstalled it (I think the latter uses the vso engine). I can write Data-CD without problem.

Any idea?

And if you delete those drives from your system then reboot will the program find the drives again, as windows will.

Originally posted by Amerzone
[B]Btw, I have just installed CopyToDVD 2.2.10 and when I ask it to create a DVD-Video project and select the video_ts.ifo (movie-only backup, made with Shrink), I get a critical error message that it can’t connect to the HW access layer (P-C or aspi). I’m on WinME with aspi 4.60.1021, properly installed, and I do not use BW.

Once I tried to install DVDXCopy, but it couldn’t recognize my Pioneer A06/106D, and I uninstalled it (I think the latter uses the vso engine). I can write Data-CD without problem.

Any idea? [/B]

Have you tried reinstalling patin-couffin? if not then go to vso-software.com and download only the patin-couffin installer, install it then try again. if still gives you problems go into the control panel and check if patin-couffin finds your drives. then change from vso-driver to aspi-driver and try CopyToDVD again.

Thanx for the reply. I had the impression that CopyToDVD installed the p-c drivers (in any case, in the vso-software site is not mentioned that you should install CopyToDVD and the p-c drivers from the stand-alone installer). Nevertheless, the only reason I wanted to try CopyToDVD was to see if it can support dvd volume names with more than 16 characters (Nero 6 has this limitation, for example).

I discovered today that ImgTool Classic can produce iso images with > 16 characters in the volume name, which are written perfectly by DVD Decrypter, so I would prefer to stick to these free tools, instead of experimenting with the p-c drivers (frankly speaking, I’m a bit afraid of them, since I have come across posts in various fora reporting problems and conflicts with them).

Anyway, thanx again for your advice.

i’m glad to hear you found a solution for your problem. i just want to say patin couffin driver rarly creates any problems and if it ever does, vso has great support that usually helps much. as a last resort you could always uninstall it :wink: