Patin-Couffin layer

vbimport

Upon installing the new Blindwrite, I was prompted with a message asking me to enable a "Patin-Couffin layer". What is this?:confused: Thanks in advance.

It’s used by blindread as an alternative to the standard aspi layer for ripping cd images.

Originally posted by philamber
It’s used by blindread as an alternative to the standard aspi layer for ripping cd images.

Thanks, are there any benefits to using this or is it just a fancy name to a more or less aspi layer?

Sorry, can’t help you there as I don’t use blindsuite (I generally use either clonecd or discdump/fireburner for back-ups).

However, I understand that it actually extracts slower than if you use blindread through a standard aspi layer.

Presumably the reason that the blindsuite team prefer people to use their pc layer rather than aspi has something to do with obtaining permission from adaptec and/or a possible requirement to pay royalties.

Thanks for the explanation philamber.

The ASPI layer in BW suite is “Safe Mode”.

BW can use both ASPI and PC layer so it isn’t a matter of Adaptec acting up or license fees etc.

The PC engine is overall better than ASPI when it comes to copying protected CD’s at least when used by BW suite.

For an explanation from a member of the blindsuite team see http://www.cdrtimes.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12161