PathPlayer issue/question

I sent this to DVDFab tech support and waiting for a reply so I thought I’d try here…
I have been evaluating DVDFab5 for a couple weeks now and have stumbled upon an issue I’d like to clarify. I have read the tutorial on PathPlayer a few times to try and answer my question. My PathPlayer is set for “Enable PP when necessary” (default?) and some of the copies that I checked the info on would show PP is disabled after opening/analyzing the DVD source/movie (using either the free HD Decrypter and I believe the trial Platinum). I have never come across any obvious problems or messages with any of the movies I have copied w/DVDFab in any mode (full movie, main movie, DVD5 or DVD9). Last night I tried/tested PathPlayer in “Always enable” and after reopening the source/movie it found and removed some cells and “bad” sectors that “Enable when necessary” did not do. I have attached both ifo files below. Either way the movies took basically the same amount of time to copy and were the same size when complete with no reported problems.
My question is what is PathPlayer “Always enable” doing to my movie/copy that “disabled” is or is/not doing?
Do I really need it enabled if the movies appear to be copying and playing fine?
Could removing cells and sectors cause more problems with playback than leaving the movie “intack”?
Hopefully this all makes sense and thanks in advance for any replies!

Info for drive [D:] (DVDFab HD Decrypter 5.2.3.2)
Drive region: 1

Disc type: Video DVD
Disc region: 1
Volume name: PPS0NNW1
Video standard: NTSC
Layer 0 size: 1777776 sectors (3472 MBytes)
Layer 1 size: 1777776 sectors (3472 MBytes)

CSS (Content Scramble System) protection is removed!
RC (Region Code) protection is removed!
RCE (Region Code Enhancement) protection is not found.
APS (Analog Protection System) protection is removed!
UOPs (User Operation Prohobitions) protection is removed!

Invalid PTTs protection is not found.
Invalid PGCIs protection is not found.
Invalid PGCs protection is not found.
Invalid TMAPs protection is not found.
Invalid CELLs protection is removed!
Invalid VOBUs protection is not found.
Fake vts protection is not found!
Bad sector protection is not found!
Structure protection (ARccOS, RipGuard, etc.) is not found.

PathPlayer is disabled.

Info for drive [D:] (DVDFab HD Decrypter 5.2.3.2)
Drive region: 1

Disc type: Video DVD
Disc region: 1
Volume name: PPS0NNW1
Video standard: NTSC
Layer 0 size: 1777776 sectors (3472 MBytes)
Layer 1 size: 1777776 sectors (3472 MBytes)

CSS (Content Scramble System) protection is removed!
RC (Region Code) protection is removed!
RCE (Region Code Enhancement) protection is not found.
APS (Analog Protection System) protection is removed!
UOPs (User Operation Prohobitions) protection is removed!

Invalid PTTs protection is not found.
Invalid PGCIs protection is not found.
Invalid PGCs protection is not found.
Invalid TMAPs protection is not found.
Invalid CELLs protection is removed!
Invalid VOBUs protection is removed!
Fake vts protection is not found!
Potential bad sector (vts:11 title begin:0 end:186) is removed!
Potential bad sector (vts:12 title begin:0 end:186) is removed!
Potential bad sector (vts:15 title begin:0 end:186) is removed!
Potential bad sector (vts:16 title begin:0 end:186) is removed!
4 potential bad sector protections are removed!
Structure protection (ARccOS, RipGuard, etc.) is removed!

PathPlayer is enabled!
Unplayable cell (vts:2 title pgc:1 cell:1) is removed!
Unplayable cell (vts:2 title pgc:1 cell:2) is removed!
Unplayable cell (vts:2 title pgc:1 cell:3) is removed!
Unplayable cell (vts:6 title pgc:1 cell:1) is removed!
Unplayable cell (vts:6 title pgc:3 cell:1) is removed!
Unplayable cell (vts:9 title pgc:1 cell:1) is removed!
Unplayable cell (vts:9 title pgc:2 cell:1) is removed!
Unplayable cell (vts:10 title pgc:1 cell:1) is removed!
Unplayable cell (vts:11 title pgc:1 cell:1) is removed!
Unplayable cell (vts:12 title pgc:1 cell:1) is removed!
Unplayable cell (vts:15 title pgc:1 cell:1) is removed!
Unplayable cell (vts:16 title pgc:1 cell:1) is removed!
12 unplayable cells are removed!

"Enable PathPlayer when necessary"
has known problems
also it does not hurt to have it set as "Always enabled"
PathPlayer will read and analyze the DVD structure as a standalone DVD player is it which help DVDFab to analyze the navigation structure that is used, however some times PathPlayer will run into trouble at times mainly when the disc has a lot of scratches andor fingerprints so it is good to try it set as disabled when having problems read a disc :smiley:

Oh it also helps in finding hidden protection like easter eggs :smiley:

also it does not hurt to have it set as "Always enabled"

So it would be better to have DVDFab (any version) PathPlayer set to “Always enable” and removal of unplayable cells and potential bad sectors will NOT negatively effect my copy/backup?

In the 10 DVD I have copied so far with DVDFab I have not run into any read problems (maybe cause PathPlayer has been “disabled”) but if I do with it Always enabled just disable it? And again I will have no probelms with the copied results?

I have 10 movies I have copied w/DVDFab & PathPlayer “disabled” on my hard drive (waiting to receive my new Verbatims). I assume these will be fine to ImgBurn to DVD as they are, no needed to recopy w/PathPlayer “enabled”?

It appears PathPlayer is proprietary to DVDFab?

No it will not have a negatively effect, I mean unplayable cells are not used during play back …right…thats why they are called unplayable :smiley: and bad sectors are what gives you read errors :slight_smile:

With it enabled or disabled you will have no problems with your backup copies as long as you use good quality media to burn on and don’t burn to fast or to slow :wink:

You can never go wrong with using Verbatim media

Yeah you can say that :bigsmile: another good thing about PathPlayer it help having it enabled when making a backup movie with a navigation menu like what is fond on such movies …like The ABYSS and ALIEN :cool:

The PathPlayer default is “Always Enabled”. Many discs will not analyze or copy correctly without it. There are occasional commercial discs and DVD-RWs from some standalone recorders that will not open/copy correctly with it enabled. No, you do not need to re-copy the ones you’ve already done but I would check the playback after burning. “PathPlayer” is proprietary to DVDFab but there are similar techniques used by at least one other application. Think of PathPlayer as the driver of a garbage truck; it lets DVDFab know where to pick up the junk that poor authoring or some structure protections have put in your original.

:eek: PathPlayer = garbage truck :bigsmile: LOL, and here I thought I had a funny way of liking at things :bigsmile:

Thanks for the replies.
I must add that the recent version 5.2.3.2 that I downloaded and have been evaluating I’m pretty sure was/is set for “Enable PathPlayer when necessary”. I have removed and reloaded it and it’s still set at this option. I will force it to “Always enable” and continue from here. Any other tips?

[QUOTE=PCat;2217979]Thanks for the replies.
I must add that the recent version 5.2.3.2 that I downloaded and have been evaluating I’m pretty sure was/is set for “Enable PathPlayer when necessary”. I have removed and reloaded it and it’s still set at this option. I will force it to “Always enable” and continue from here. Any other tips?
[/QUOTE]
Hi PCat,
I think things have been pretty well covered.
Having said that, a few thoughts…

PP enabled when necessary is a useless and at times problematic setting…as already stated.
If a disc fails to analyze correctly, you don’t have any useful info to work with…why did it fail?, do I enable or disable PP now?
Choose always enable or disable…there are advantages/disadvantages to both.

I prefer PP always enabled. Many newer discs (but certainly not most) require PP to be read correctly. The enabled setting also allows functionality of the advanced navigation options available in Fab. For eg., in Full Disc Mode, you can copy the entire disc, but alter the playback order of the various titles. I love this feature for certain discs since I can copy extra features, trailers, etc., but still have the main title start when I put in the disc for playback…I’m not forced to watch or skip past stuff that I may or may want to watch at any one particular time.
I can still navigate the disc normally from the main menu.

One word of caution re: the advanced navigation features. There are times when the bkup disc will not play correctly. Certain disc structures such as those movies with alternate endings seem to be more predisposed to problems in this regard.

The only real disadvantage to always enabled is that movies will typically take longer to open and analyze…what may take 5-10 seconds in disabled mode, may take 30 -50 seconds. Once analyzed, there’s no difference in rip/burn times.

If a disc ever fails to open/analyze, simply reverse your current PP enabled/disabled setting.

One last question…

No, you do not need to re-copy the ones you’ve already done but I would check the playback after burning.

How will I know if I have a good or bad copy? Do I need to watch the entire movie, just start it and make sure it plays for a minute or so, skip thru all tracks to make sure they begin to play, all of the above?
Thoughts on how to quickly and easily validate a good copy…

[QUOTE=PCat;2218602]One last question…

How will I know if I have a good or bad copy? Do I need to watch the entire movie, just start it and make sure it plays for a minute or so, skip thru all tracks to make sure they begin to play, all of the above?
Thoughts on how to quickly and easily validate a good copy…[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, there’s no ‘quick and easy’ way to verifiy a burned DVD.

If you use the electronic method (ie. use the verify function of whatever burner you use to burn the disk), no matter what method is used for verification, the results are only valid for the drive that the disk is verified in.

In other words, a disk verified on the drive in your computer will play back fine in the computer, but no guarantees when you try to play it back in your set-top player.

The only way to be sure is to put a newly burned disk in your set-top, sit back, and a couple of hours later (more or less) you’ll know for sure.

O’C

:slight_smile: