Patching and Flashing - Do I understand all of this?

Okay, first and foremost, THANK YOU for a phenomenal site. You have truly brought me from the rank of clueless to, well…something slightly better than clueless. Your efforts are not unappreciated.

Here’s my question. I have a DW-D22A. It’s about 2 years old and has been very temperamental…to the point that I would give up burning for months at a time. Fast forward to last week. After reading this site for hours on end, I determined that it would be in my best interest to flash my DW-D22A to a DRU-710A. I did this successfully by downloading the BYX4 firmware (I’m pretty sure I originally had BS02 FW). The flash immediately improved the drive. I know this as it will now read original movie DVD’s which, in the past, it would simply not recognize.

Just beneath the BYX4 FW I downloaded, there is a patched version of BYX4 for “crossflashing.” I’ve been trying to understand exactly what all this means so please tell me if I’ve got it straight:

My drive came out of the box as a SOHW-1633S. Flashing with the “stock” BYX4 FW was essentially a normal upgrade because BYX4 is intended for the 1633S. However, IF my drive was a SHOW-1653S out of the box, then the patched BYX4 would have allowed this FW to, in a sense, be backward compatible since BYX4 was not intended for the 1653S (the patch makes the 1633S FW work on the 1653S).

Expanding on this, the CS0P FW will only work if the drive is a 1653S out of the box. But, the patched CS0P will work if the drive is a 1633S.

So, do I have it right? Am I finally starting to see the light?

I have a follow up question or 2, but I’ll stop here just incase I’ve got all of this wrong.

Thanks a lot!

Tipsy

Have you had a visit on the codeguys pge?
http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares.html

Yes, I have. That’s the page I was referring to in my above post when I mentioned there was a patched FW available beneath the version of BYX4 that I downloaded.

I know it’s frustrating for those of you, who are well versed in all of this, to reply to very basic questions over and over again. But I’ve read A TON and I’m just trying to get things clarified in my mind.

Believe me, the fact that I was able to determine I could use the FW for the DRU-710A in my DW-D22A, find it on the web, unpack it (I had no clue what to do with a .rar file) and successfully flash the drive was a huge accomplishment for me. I held my head high that day.

But the more I read, the more confused I get. There is a high degree of jargon that’s used in many of the posts. I’m trying to build a foundation of knowledge.

Thanks again.

Tipsy

the codegyus’ site should answer most of your questions. but all you wrote above is right. now i have one question to you: did you flash your 22a with the stock BYX4? because that’s not possible.

you can interchange all 22/24a, 710a, 1633s and 1653s firmwares, but they must be crossflash enabled.
CS0P is slightly better than BYX4. also, before crossflashing, you should backup your eeprom and then ‘reset learnt media’. you can do both with the eeprom utility from the codeguys’ site. read the instructions carefully to avoid any damage.
with omnipatcher you can improve firmwares and change some cosmetical things (eg red led when burning.)

Okay, I thought I was getting a handle on this, but I must still be confused about something. As I understood it, I thought I DID flash my 22a with a stock BYX4. I thought this was possible because “at heart” both the 22a and the 710a are 1633S’s. The BYX4 I used was found here.

This is what I’m trying to get clear in my head. I thought you could use any FW from any of the 1633S’s without modification, but in order to use a FW that was intended for a 1653S on a 1633S (and vice versa), it would have to be modified. I think maybe I’m confusing “patching” and “crossflashing.” I thought the “patched” version of BYX4 available at the above link was patched so it could be installed in a 1653S drive.

This is really what I was trying to figure out in the first place, but I wanted to make sure I understood the basics first. I thought the “stock” CS0P was for the 1653S? What I am trying to figure out is (1) Should I flash to CS0P. Is it “better” than BYX4? If so, what’s better? (2) With my drive configured as it is now, would I need to flash to the “patched” CS0P in order to be compatible with my 1633S drive? or (3) Should I use the EEPROM utility to update/upgrade the drive to a 1653S and then flash with the stock CS0P FW?

I guess what I’m wondering is one configuration is more stable/beneficial than the other?

Have I got this all mixed up?

I haven’t installed or used the EEPROM utility yet. That’s the next frontier for me.

Thanks again.

Tipsy

a stock firmware is unmodified, as provided on liteon’s site. to be able to modify it, it must be unpacked from the original flasher. but you don’t have to do this, the firmware flashers on the codegyus’ site are already unpacked and patchable.
the stock stock firmwares from the cgs site can be patched in many ways, for example to have a multi-colored led-scheme, changed write strategies etc., you’ll find all options when you load the firmware into omnipatcher.
i’ve used BYX4 for a long time as it gave me the best results. but CS0P is slightly better with my media (usually verbatim mcc003), so i switched to CS0P now.
you have to test for yourself which firmware’s the best. try CS0P first, i think it will work ok.
the eeprom utility is easy to understand. it’s just one executable. every button is clearly described, you really can’t do anything wrong.
the first thing you must do is to backup your eeprom. after that you can ‘reset learnt media’, upgrade the drive to a 1653s and flash with e.g. CS0P.
if you use the upgrade function, you can simply use the stock firmware flasher.
if you understand the functions of omnipatcher, use it to patch the firmware before you flash the drive.

Okay, that’s a lot for me to ponder. I’ll play with it when I get home next week.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Tipsy