Patch Utility for Samsung MTK based DVD Writers v3.4.10

vbimport

[QUOTE=farmrt88;2243612]Is this a clone dvd issue?[/QUOTE]

Sounds like it to me. Either the program is buggy, or you’re missing something real obvious. I use Nero under Windows and Toast under OS X, and as I said, I don’t have any problems.

[QUOTE=farmrt88;2243612]Thanks for the advice. I flashed the SE-S204S and turned it off, and that seems to work. The Book type of a blank disc in nero cd-dvd speed is reported as dvd-rom. However, when using clone dvd to make a direct backup, the finished dvd is not readable and is a dvd+r booktype.

Any thoughts? Is this a clone dvd issue?
Thanks again.[/QUOTE]

Very likely Clone is your problem. As good a ripper as it is, the burning engine only gets updated with new versions(few and far between). Coastered more than a few discs before giving up on it for burning and using Nero or ImgBurn to successfully burn the same files. :flower:

I have a TSST SH-222A 22x drive I just bought and used SH-S222A_SB01.bin from Samsung’s site to load in to this patch utility. I checked every checkbox and saved the bin file as a new one, then flashed the drive. Nero Info tool still shows 16x read, when I checked “Increase 16x SL read speed to 18x”, so what gives? Is the Nero tool maybe only showing DL read speed and not SL, or is it really 18x but the tool is reading it incorrectly?

Also, I just ripped a 6331mb DL disc in 17 minutes with this drive… is that good or about average? This included time to shrink it from DVD9 to DVD5, and it was using the latest version of DVDFab Platinum.

[QUOTE=mulox;2248901]I have a TSST SH-222A 22x drive I just bought and used SH-S222A_SB01.bin from Samsung’s site to load in to this patch utility. I checked every checkbox and saved the bin file as a new one, then flashed the drive. Nero Info tool still shows 16x read, when I checked “Increase 16x SL read speed to 18x”, so what gives? Is the Nero tool maybe only showing DL read speed and not SL, or [B]is it really 18x but the tool is reading it incorrectly?[/B][/QUOTE]That’d be it. From the first post: [QUOTE=C0deKing;2032188][…]
[B][I]20x and 22x Drives[/I][/B]

Increase 16x SL Read Speed to 18x (FR)
This patch will increase the 16x read speed to 18x. [B]The drives maximum read speed will still be shown as 16x but it will instead read at 18x.[/B] The next lower speed is still 12x.[…][/QUOTE]

:slight_smile:

Also, I just ripped a 6331mb DL disc in 17 minutes with this drive… is that good or about average? This included time to shrink it from DVD9 to DVD5, and it was using the latest version of DVDFab Platinum.
Sounds good to me. :iagree:

Awesome, thanks! Is there a thread with everyone’s fastest reported rip times to compare against by chance?

I have both an S203B and S223Q. When I go to patch the firmware, neither of them gives me the Fast Burn checkbox. Am I missing something? (besides the checkbox :p)

Hi,

you get all other options?
This is, what I get with SB04 retail firmware:

Well, looking at it again, you are right. I do get Fast Burn for the S203B. But not the S223Q.

thanks for the help with the Se-S204S. CloneDVD is the culprit. I was able to change the booktype and use Imgburn to burn the ISO files created by CloneDVD. Must be how the booktype for the samsung drive is stored because my Plextor PX-716A will burn successfully using CloneDVD.

I have the patch installed and when i go to load it , it opens another window with no file name for a look up. I installed the firm ware and I still do not get the same out come as listed at the top of the thread. Did I miss something here?

I tried that once (see posts @ http://club.cdfreaks.com/f116/faster-dvdfab-4-1-2-0-5-0-3-0-a-246590/#post2075675)

this was a comparison between last version 4 and one of the fisrt of version 5.

this was awhile ago…:cool:

[B][B]OFF TOPIC[/B][/B]

Hi All, I’m new here.
Read MAXIMUMPC April page 65 mentions Tinyurl.com/a39181 which led me here. I know a lot about PC’s, built a lot over the years.
I have a couple Sammy SH-S223Q’s for a while now.
It has been a lot of work to patch them as shown in the article!!
This thread was some help, but a lot of trial and error!
The top of the thread dose not say how to get the BIN file nor its file name until page 2, and not the file location (c:temp)
Next the Samsung program for flashing the drives is automatic for this drive. You can not change drives, or bin files! not mentioned! There was no mention that you might want to get a different flashing program. In the Sammy FAQ page, there was a link for a flashing program called sfdnmin.exe. Dose not run in x64. And will not flash from x86 XP with a patched BIN from the patcher program from the top this thread!
I had to rename the patched file to autorun.bin and run the flashing program from Samsung for these drives. Since the patcher only works for 1 drive, I had to crack open the case, and unplug 1 drive at a time. What a pain!! 6 hours just to flash a DVD drive. COME ON, Give me a break!!!
Page 1 of this thread should be updated to match current drives, or should be split off into a new thread. Good luck to experienced PC guys that are new (from the MAX PC article) to patching the Sammy 223’s!!!

^ Don’t you just love people that get a free tool and then make demands like this. :rolleyes:

Makes me wonder why I bother at all…

[QUOTE=C0deKing;2258814]^ Don’t you just love people that get a free tool and then make demands like this. :rolleyes:

Makes me wonder why I bother at all…[/QUOTE]That post isn’t too cool.

I would just like to point out:

Much of the complaint would still apply when flashing a Samsung drive as normal [trying to crossflash or such would probably be worse].

Searching the forum can clarify a few of the issues pointed out above. A few of those issues are with Samsung and how it does things, but these issues [I]have[/I] been documented in other posts around the forum. So, as always, users are welcome to search for their answers; or, at the very least, start a new thread asking for help. That would help prevent some frustration

And thus is the way around CD Freaks. Helping others is what we try to do. Oftentimes we have to do it through trial and error, but trial and error is often best; we all learn from it. :iagree:

Don’t let these posts get you down, CK. Unfortunately, there is still a tiny percentage of the population that won’t be happy with the way things are [but if that is the case, they should be actively doing something to help fix what caused them such an issue…like maybe making a guide to work-around the issues they encountered. Y’know, they should do something positive that will help the community in the long run?]. The other 99.99% of the community says “everything is fine” [or works together to positively improve poor conditions, should they arise], & that group matters the most. :flower:

Thanks Albert. Nicely put. :flower:

I think KLund1 overlooked some things in the first post:

Note:

• Also supported is the Sony DRU-830A and DRU-840A.
  • Currently this Patch Utility works with 18x, 20x and 22x drives.
  • I recommend always starting with stock firmware and applying all of the patches you require before saving.
    [B]* See the Firmware Section of the Samsung forum FAQ for instruction on extracting the BIN file from the Samsung EXE file.
  • See the Samsung forum FAQ for instructions on how to flash your patched firmware.[/B]

About the only thing missing is a note about using TSDNWIN to flash the patched firmware to the 22x drives.

If KLund1 would like to create a thread that correctly outlines the method required to patch and flash a 22x drive, then I would be glad to link it to the first post.

[QUOTE=KLund1;2258800]Hi All, I’m new here.
Read MAXIMUMPC April page 65 mentions Tinyurl.com/a39181 which led me here. I know a lot about PC’s, built a lot over the years.
I have a couple Sammy SH-S223Q’s for a while now.
It has been a lot of work to patch them as shown in the article!!
This thread was some help, but a lot of trial and error!
The top of the thread dose not say how to get the BIN file nor its file name until page 2, and not the file location (c:temp)
Next the Samsung program for flashing the drives is automatic for this drive. You can not change drives, or bin files! not mentioned! There was no mention that you might want to get a different flashing program. In the Sammy FAQ page, there was a link for a flashing program called sfdnmin.exe. Dose not run in x64. And will not flash from x86 XP with a patched BIN from the patcher program from the top this thread!
I had to rename the patched file to autorun.bin and run the flashing program from Samsung for these drives. Since the patcher only works for 1 drive, I had to crack open the case, and unplug 1 drive at a time. What a pain!! 6 hours just to flash a DVD drive. COME ON, Give me a break!!!
Page 1 of this thread should be updated to match current drives, or should be split off into a new thread. Good luck to experienced PC guys that are new (from the MAX PC article) to patching the Sammy 223’s!!![/QUOTE]

Cross-flashing and patching a drive outside of the manufacturer’s official methods is a privilege, not a right. No one owes you anything. Read and learn a bit, then come back with some questions, or put a FAQ together yourself. :rolleyes:

CK, don’t let ignorant people like these get you down. They can claim to know and build so many PCs over the years… (whoopdeedoo) …yet, when it doesn’t go their way, they cry-and-whine. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=C0deKing;2258814]^ Don’t you just love people that get a free tool and then make demands like this. :rolleyes:

Makes me wonder why I bother at all…[/QUOTE]
Heheh, guess he must have been one of the all time most popular guys around with his attitude. :Z

Cheer up CK, you know you are much loved and appreciated around here. :slight_smile:

Makes me wonder why I bother at all…[/QUOTE]

Just like he said: he knows much about PCs … maybe too much for hanging around here!

[B][I]Off topic[/I][/B]
Watch out [I]bichonn.[/I] With a click on the mouse you might be history. :bigsmile: