PATA = Ultra DMA EIDE?

I need to buy a new hard drive to replace the one that is about to go kaput! :sad:

I’d actually like to buy a SATA drive, but my 'puter is a bit old and doesn’t support SATA unless I do some other upgrades…an option that I’m still considering.

But the other option is to just get a PATA drive. I’m a bit confused by the current terminology, though…is PATA the same thing as what used to be called Ultra DMA EIDE ?? :confused:

thanks for the help!! :flower:

[QUOTE=jurran1;1931028]I need to buy a new hard drive to replace the one that is about to go kaput! :sad:

I’d actually like to buy a SATA drive, but my 'puter is a bit old and doesn’t support SATA unless I do some other upgrades…an option that I’m still considering.

But the other option is to just get a PATA drive. I’m a bit confused by the current terminology, though…is PATA the same thing as what used to be called Ultra DMA EIDE ?? :confused:

thanks for the help!! :flower:[/QUOTE]

Yes, PATA is another acronymon for IDE connections…but to really get the Sata use you will need mother board that supports it or get a Sata controller card. But you didn’t mentioned what kinda motherboard you have so we can give you recommendations?? PATA=IDE=ATA133 or ATA100 but make sure the drive is 7200 rpm…not the 5400 rpm… for PATA…make sure you have 80pin cable as well…

many thanks, coolcolors…

yep, that’s exactly what I’m considering…adding a new SATA controller card or simply getting another EIDE (PATA) HDD to replace the one that’s failing…I’m already equipped for the latter option incl the 80=pin ribbon cable…I think I changed over from the old 40-pin cable when I added the 2nd HDD a few years ago…I just was a little thrown by the change in terminology…using PATA instead of EIDE

and yes, it’s ATA100…though I don’t know the motherboard # off-hand…it’s a 5-6 year old Dell desktop, but I’d have to get my folder out to find what chipset was used…

I actually thought I had it all straight in my mind on the PATA/EIDE change in terminology thing…but when I was at Best Buy looking around and asked the “tech expert” (maybe 18 years old…cough…cough) he said “no, no PATA & EIDE are not the same.” Though I didn’t think he was right, I felt all confuzzled again…

so I decided to ask the REAL experts here at CD-Freaks! :wink:

thanks again for helping me get this straight in my mind…again! :bow:

Hi,[QUOTE=jurran1;1931382]
I actually thought I had it all straight in my mind on the PATA/EIDE change in terminology thing…but when I was at Best Buy looking around and asked the “tech expert” (maybe 18 years old…cough…cough) he said “no, no PATA & EIDE are not the same.” Though I didn’t think he was right, I felt all confuzzled again…[/quote]He wasn’t that wrong :wink:

Michael

Bottom line is that even if you add a SATA card, you won’t see any better performance from a hard drive than you would with a comparable drive on IDE.

Maybe be different in name but I Have both the older IDE ata HDD and a new 250G PATA drive connected to my motherboard that has IDE connectors…so I don’t see how PATA is so different from IDE other then the name change…and the change from 40 pin to 80 pin connector…and transfer speed and DMA settings… Both still fit onto IDE connectors…

just wanted to again say “thanks” to everyone for their guidance. :bow:

I decided to go the simpler PATA route and I installed a seagate barracuda to replace the dying WD…felt fortunate that I was able to move all my files from the WD onto the other (system) HDD…also a seagate…there was enough free space…and then I moved all files back onto the new one once I installed it…all seems to work perfectly and I have the new one configured the way I want with four partitions to keep things organized :cool:

…organized for awhile, at least…I’m sure everything will get out of control after a few months :bigsmile:

thanks again! :flower:

[QUOTE=jurran1;1932637]just wanted to again say “thanks” to everyone for their guidance. :bow:

I decided to go the simpler PATA route and I installed a seagate barracuda to replace the dying WD…felt fortunate that I was able to move all my files from the WD onto the other (system) HDD…also a seagate…there was enough free space…and then I moved all files back onto the new one once I installed it…all seems to work perfectly and I have the new one configured the way I want with four partitions to keep things organized :cool:

…organized for awhile, at least…I’m sure everything will get out of control after a few months :bigsmile:

thanks again! :flower:[/QUOTE]

Once last thing if you want to do it…always keep the HDD as one partition … I found out that this best uses the space on a single HDD…so in the end I ended up with 5 HDD each as a sole partition…