PATA to SATA adaptors

vbimport

I bought one off eBay hoping that I could hook up my trusty IDE burner to the SATA ports on my new motherboard but it simply refused to work. Worked fine on an old IDE HDD though. Are all adaptors like this or has anyone had any experience with an adaptor that works for optical drives?

The problem most of times is not the adapter itself, but the SATA controller on the mainboard. Some simply don’t work with optical drives but only with HDD.

The best option is to use an IDE to USB adapter :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=geno888;2608233]The problem most of times is not the adapter itself, but the SATA controller on the mainboard. [/quote]I beg to differ, these adapters often cause trouble with ODD. More often than most onboard Sata controllers.

The best option is to use an IDE to USB adapter :slight_smile:
Another source of trouble. :wink:

My vote would go for a IDE controller card, preferably with Silicon Image Chipset.

Michael

I had the chance to put geno888’s theory to the test, in way. Very recently upgraded to Sandy Bridge so I pulled out the eBay adapter and tried it on my trusty Plextor as master, slave and cable select. No luck. Too bad as I’d like what these sleek adapters could do for cable management in the case over a PCI card. :\

[QUOTE=markanini;2608232]I bought one off eBay hoping that I could hook up my trusty IDE burner to the SATA ports on my new motherboard but it simply refused to work. Worked fine on an old IDE HDD though. Are all adaptors like this or has anyone had any experience with an adaptor that works for optical drives?[/QUOTE]

I’ve been using two Vantec CB-IS100 IDE to Sata converters that mount on the rear of my ASUS DVD-E616A2 DVD-ROM and my ASUS CRW-5232AX CD-RW IDE drives for several years now with zero problems. I bought them from Amazon for around $15. USD each at the time. I see now that they’re about $12. each.

These may cost a little more than your average eBay junk, but they are much higher quality with fully enclosed electronics and most importantly - they work, even with ATAPI (optical) drives! I’ve used them through three SATA motherboards and they’re currently still working flawlessly on an all-SATA ASUS P6X58D Premium with Windows 7 64-bit and the same IDE optical drives.

Wow, thanks! I’ll check out the Vantec part.

The honest sellers of those adapters will state right on the specs whether they support optical drives or not, many do not. I have 4 that plug right into the back of any IDE drive and have a extra 3.5 power and SATA port on them to use on your board. They work great except over time they tend to work loose with all the extra weight hanging off the drive. This is the official page for them http://www.syba.com/index.php?controller=Product&action=Info&Id=941
It doesn’t list optical support but I have used them for burners and they work fine. The place I got them from listed optical support as well.Here it is on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Syba-SD-SATA-IDE-SATA-Converter-Only/dp/B000IBM6O4 Good luck with whatever you try.

I like how they don’t extend much behind the drive. Thanks!

Well the new add claims they don’t work with DVD drives so you might be taking a slight chance but I know it worked for mine when I tried it so YMMV. The other issue if you have a lot of drives to convert is getting enough 3.5 power adapters, I made one myself that had 2 5.25 and 2 3.5 together and it worked well at the time I was using them. I mostly used them for my older hard drives though.
For that price though it’s worth taking a chance as long as shipping is free or cheap.

The Syba adptor works great with my Benq 1650. Possibly it’s SIL3611 chip used. :clap:

Try one of these. Worked well for me on two different motherboards. Remember to pull the jumpers off the PATA drive before you connect.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812186078