PATA - SATA Compatability

vbimport

Hi,
I have an old (2003) HP Business Desktop (d330). It’s original HDD is PATA IDE.
Can a SATA HDD be added with a PATA-SATA adapter?
Thanx :eek:

[QUOTE=SkipperChaim;2677729]Hi,
Thanx :eek:[/QUOTE]

There are adapters to do so but you won’t gain much speed since it isn’t true Sata connectors.

[QUOTE=SkipperChaim;2677729]Hi,
Thanx :eek:[/QUOTE]
Don’t do that. It’s a world of problems.

Get another controller.

I recommend getting a controller CARD. They are very inexpensive nowadays and are a far better solution than the smaller adapters.

I’m taking your advice and have ordered a controller card.
Thanx

One problem with a card, more so as it’s a HP system, and they often have nasty locked down BIOSes, is that it can be awkward getting a drive running from a PCI card to be bootable - generally, the card needs to have its own BIOS, and the system BIOS needs to support SCSI as a boot option (which tends to work for any add-in drive controller).

If its a second drive, then Windows can always bring it up using Windows drivers.

It is a second drive. Is the Windows Driver built-in to Windows 7, or do I need to download the driver?

[QUOTE=Matth;2678175]a PCI card to be bootable - generally, the card needs to have its own BIOS[/quote] That is true. If you can to use such a device as a bootable system device, you will require a bios on the addon card.

and the system BIOS needs to support SCSI as a boot option (which tends to work for any add-in drive controller).
Not really. There are plenty of boises that are not SCSI.

If its a second drive, then Windows can always bring it up using Windows drivers.
If it’s a non-bootable device, Windows will just scan the card, install the driver (if it can’t find out, it will ask for one) and work from there.