PATA Replacing EIDE (Western Digital Caviar SE 320 GB EIDE Hard Drive)

[qanda]This thread is about the Western Digital Caviar® SE 320 GB EIDE Hard Drive. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I have a interesting problem, I had an hard drive go bad in my computer so I decided to replace it. I found a good deal on a 320GB Western Digital Caviar Blue, 7200rpm, 8MB, EIDE, but hard drive says PATA. Now from what I read PATA and EIDE are the same but the issue is I have a Compaq S5200NX and when I put this hard drive on cable select and plug it in as the Master on the Primary IDE cable the BIOS doesn’t see the drive during start up, but if I move it to the Primary Slave it will see the drive for a while, I even had Windows installed before it rebooted and then stop seeing the hard drive. Now is there some thing I missing? PATA is compatible to Ultra DMA ATA 100/133 right? aka PATA can replace EIDE. I have upgraded the BIOS to the newest version, dated 12-2007, but no luck. Now if I put this drive in as a slave with an older EIDE hard drive, I have to use the accompanying software to get it to work and then it works okay as a secondary drive, but I need an Primary drive, any suggestions would be great appreciated.

PATA = IDE = EIDE = ATA100 = ATA133

They are all the same thing. Just different marketing names that have no meaning.

Exactly. One note: Use 80 wire IDE cables.

[QUOTE=chef;2246448]Exactly. One note: Use 80 wire IDE cables.[/QUOTE]

80-wire cables usually have a blue connector at one end:

I had quite the same problem, except I needed to connect just 1 WD 320 GB PATA drive onto the cable to replace a bad drive. With the jumper set on Cable Select, nothing whatever occurred on power up. But I found on the HP support website the following statement: Note: When using <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:“Times New Roman”; mso-fareast-font-family:“Times New Roman”;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:.3in .3in .3in .3in; mso-header-margin:.2in; mso-footer-margin:.2in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> <!–[if gte mso 10]> ******> / Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:“Table Normal”; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:“Times New Roman”;} </style> <![endif]–>one Western Digital hard drive on one cable, it may need to be set to “Single”. So, I took the drive jumper out of the Cable Select position and powered up with no jumper in place (the “Single” (or “Master”)) configuration. Don’t know if this applies to you where you want two drives on the cable, but I would try overtly configuring the drives separately to “Master with Slave Present” and “Slave”.

<table class=“MsoNormalTable” style=“width: 100%;” width=“100%” border=“0” cellpadding=“0” cellspacing=“0”><tbody><tr style=""><td style=“padding: 0in; width: 10%;” valign=“top” width=“10%” nowrap=“nowrap”>
</td><td style=“padding: 0in; width: 90%;” valign=“top” width=“90%”>
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>