Parts of a record player?

vbimport

So I am looking into getting into vinyl…I am completely new to it…I was wondering what parts are all needed. turntable, cartridge/needle, pre amp…what else am I missing? Any help is appreciated.

It’s a long time since I looked at this stuff… but I would say as a priority your cartridge and tone arm are the two most important things for a good sound. Then look for a good turntable, and indeed a pre-amp if your current amplifier doesn’t have an appropriate input.

What do you currently have further down the chain (ie power amp, speaker cable, speakers, stands… and so on).

You can spend literally thousands of $/£/EUR on each of these so take your time to look around and read reviews.

Zep you need to explain in a little more detail so you don’t get these kinds of replies.

Why don’t you let the OP articulate what he wants? It seemed a very simple request.

Also, you might like to choose your words a bit more carefully so as to avoid giving offence to those offering a genuine reply.

[QUOTE=imkidd57;2077951]Why don’t you let the OP articulate what he wants? It seemed a very simple request.

Also, you might like to choose your words a bit more carefully so as to avoid giving offence to those offering a genuine reply.[/QUOTE]huh? please explain.

You probably won’t need a preamp unless you are going to a computer sound card.That also may depend on the stereo amp/reciever you are using.
My Pioneer receiver/amp has a seperate phono input for a turntable.

actually i found a place that lists what i need… i’m essentially starting from scratch…at this point in time i’m not planning to make any purchases soon. I am gonna buy in stages…I have nothing really…maybe it will be possible to hook up the stuff to my little sony stereo i have? I am looking to just listen to vinyl…not going to import any vinyl into mp3 and or do any type of DJ work.

I am researching stuff at this point…looking into various turntables/cartridges/pre-amps/ etc…

thanks for the input though

Zep i am so lost now…still need more details.

To kidd i guess it’s a misunderstanding?

[quote=Bob;2077969]Zep i am so lost now…still need more details.

To kidd i guess it’s a misunderstanding?[/quote]

i was basically looking for what i needed…from another place i got this:

turntable, cartridge, pre-amp, power amp, and speakers…possibly a receiver if i was going to listen to the radio i would need a receiver with a phono section…i dont plan on listening to that…so i guess an integrated amp is all i would need.

thats what i was going for…just a list of parts i need…now i’ll just dig around and look for whats out there.

ZepFloyd: just for clarification, the phono stage is needed for the output of the cartridge. The signals that come from it are relatively weak and need dedicated circuitry to deal with initially.

Maybe you know this already, but “integrated” just means the pre and power amp stages are together, and tells you nothing about whether there’s a phono circuit. I only say this because vinyl has been overlooked for years and modern integrated amps may lack a proper phono input.

Also, don’t ignore the influence of a third-party tone arm (the thing where the cartridge is mounted). It can have a strong influence on the sound that comes out of even the best cartridges, and for this reason you’ll find dedicated vinyl people buy a good turntable and replace the tone-arm with a better one. Just something to bear in mind…

[quote
Also, don’t ignore the influence of a third-party tone arm (the thing where the cartridge is mounted). It can have a strong influence on the sound that comes out of even the best cartridges, and for this reason you’ll find dedicated vinyl people buy a good turntable and replace the tone-arm with a better one. Just something to bear in mind…[/quote]

Another tip you may find useful is silicon spray eg Mr. Sheen. The stylus moves up/down, left/right on vinyl records, that’s where the stereo sound comes from. As records are usually scratched, you therefore amplify not only the music, but the snap, crackle & pop coming from scratches as well.
Silicon spray lubricates the stylus, and allows it to slide with very little friction within the record groove, eliminating up to 90% of unwanted noise. Just give the record a light spray, then wipe around the groove with a lint-free cloth. You will feel the difference! It also removes dirt from the groove.
It’s also a good idea to get a turntable that has a speed control. These types have a strobe pattern around the turntable platform, the pattern appears stationary under electric light when the speed is correct.

awesome thanks guys

Try these:

http://musicdirect.com/
http://www.needledoctor.com/
http://www.audioadvisor.com/