Partition Table #108 error

I have an AMD athlon XP 1800+ with 40 GB HDD, 5400 rpm loaded with WIN XP service pack 2 with broadband internet. All my partitions are NTFS .In order to transfer valuable data from HDD I connected this HDD to another PC Intel Dual core 3 Ghz,250 GB HDD,7200 on the same IDE controller. I changed the jumper settings on the 40 Gb HDD. This 40 Gb HDD did not work with the D core system. Hence I removed the 40 Gb HDD from the D core system and connected back to my AMD Athlon (old PC). Now, in this AMD Athlon PC HDD shows wrong disk capacity in BIOS settings as 4312 MB instead of 40 Gb! I also tried shifting the jumper to different pins. Still it showed me the wrong HDD capacity, size in BIOS. Also when I booted with the WIN 98 startup disk and entered DOS mode. I used Partition Magic to view the six different NTFS partitions I had created. But PM showed Partition Table #108 error! I also changed HDD access mode from auto to LBA. I also tried testdisk software in DOS mode but it showed HDD size too small!

Please suggest the solution for this and also the software which can restore the partitions.

Thanks in advance

did you make sure the jumpers are in the right positions? try removing all the jumpers. usually that puts the drive in slave mode. also, look at the IDE pins, and make sure they are lined up; sometimes they can get bent inwards; the fix is to pull on those gently with a pair of pliers. also try changing IDE cables. Sometimes one gets a little worn down and doesn’t transfer signals as well; plus it’s an inexpensive solution to try as well.

otherwise, I would recommend the gparted liveboot cd. It’s similar to Partition Magic, with the exception that it’s slightly less prone to get stuck with partition errors. NTFS should be working out of the box now as well.

[quote=seeker010;1985025]did you make sure the jumpers are in the right positions? try removing all the jumpers. usually that puts the drive in slave mode. also, look at the IDE pins, and make sure they are lined up; sometimes they can get bent inwards; the fix is to pull on those gently with a pair of pliers. also try changing IDE cables. Sometimes one gets a little worn down and doesn’t transfer signals as well; plus it’s an inexpensive solution to try as well.

otherwise, I would recommend the gparted liveboot cd. It’s similar to Partition Magic, with the exception that it’s slightly less prone to get stuck with partition errors. NTFS should be working out of the box now as well.[/quote]

Thanks a lot!
I have verified the jumper settings of my HDD it is in Master mode i.e
single HDD. How to use the Gparted liveboot cd in DOS through a startup disk?
Also is it possible to recover the partition table back to 6 NTFS partitions which I had created using this software?