Partition question (New SSD coming tomorrow)

vbimport

Hello!

Tomorrow, I will get my first SSD (Intel X25-V 40GB). I prepared system to use AHCI. What else I should know about transition to SSD (all services that SSD don’t need will be disabled - defragmentation, indexing, etc.). I will do a fresh Win 7 install, do I need to align this SSD, or Windows will do it on first format?

Second question is: Now I have Samsung F2 1.5TB HDD, and I have 2 partition on it. C: is primary, and D: is logical. I want to delete C: and to merge C: and D: partition into one big partition, without losing data (so SSD will be my system disk, and Samsung will be storage disk). I saw that Acronis Disc Director have option to convert logical partition to primary, but I am not sure shall I do it before merging.

Thanx a lot!!!

Windows 7 would do the alignment for you, and also disable defrag, the rest have to be done manually.
I never was a big fan of merging two partitions and most of the time it didnt work as i expected. My advice is if you cant move all your data and do the partitioning correctly, leave it as it is. You can put the pagefine in the old hard disk if you want (some game require a pagefile).

Thanx for answer! I will move page file to HDD. Today I will backup most important data, then do a full defragmentation of HDD, then I will try to do a merging. If it fails, then I will do clear format. I read most of the tips about SSD, but only thing I don’t clearly understand is should I disable write catching? I saw different answers to this question.

Just another quick question: I will put SSD in Sata 1 port, and HDD in Sata 2 port. Optical drives are in port 5 and 6. My guess is that this is OK.

I dont see why you should have any problems with port1 or 2, it should work just fine in ACHI mode.
I only disabled the pagefile, hibernation and the indexing services, the first two require to much space, close to 8gb and you want gain much having them on or SSD.

OK, thanx for the answer! If I have any other questions I will ask here :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=vroom;2583893]I only disabled the pagefile, hibernation and the indexing services, the first two require to much space, close to 8gb and you want gain much having them on or SSD.[/QUOTE] The hibernation file in Windows 7 doesn’t have to be the same size as RAM - it can be set to a certain percentage of RAM size (75% by default I believe) with the powercfg command.

See here for an example.

Since the hibernate file will contain a compressed image of the used RAM (excluding file/page cache), you can probably get away with a hibernation file not much bigger than 50% of RAM. I currently have it set at 50%.

AFAIK you cannot place the hibernation file anywhere else but the C: drive, but I could be wrong.

I’m not a big fan of how Windows 7 creates a small diagnostic partition if you allow setup to format the OS drive during setup. Simple way around this is to format the new drive from within an existing Windows Vista or 7 install.

You can also use diskpart to format the new drive.

Windows 7 Installation Advanced Drive Formatting
1 - Boot up from the Windows 7 installation disc.
2 - Choose Repair your computer.
3 - In the System Recovery Options screen, choose Use recovery tools… and click Next.
4 - Open the Command Prompt.
5 - Type diskpart and hit Enter.
6 - Type list disk . Find the disk you wish to install Windows 7 on. If you only have one disk then it will show as disk 0. If you have multiple disks find the drive you wish to install 7 on.
7 - Type select disk 0 (or use the number of the disk you wish to install Windows 7 on)(note - that is a zero)
8 - Type list partition. There shouldn’t be any.
9 - Type create partition primary.
10- Type select partition 1.
11- Type active.
12- Type format quick.
13- When finished reboot and begin your installation.

See Tweakhound’s " Installing Windows 7" guide for more useful info.

Using either method should result in a properly aligned SSD.

Bill

@wonderwrench: Thanx for pointing this, I forgot about this how Windows create some recovery partition. I don’t want to have any other (small) partitions. I formatted most of HDD’s using Gparted, and I will use it also this time, but, as this will be my first SSD, I want to be sure that everything will be aligned properly.

@DrageMester: one of first things that I do after installation is turning off hibernation, as I don’t use it, but thanx for pointing this.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2583898]The hibernation file in Windows 7 doesn’t have to be the same size as RAM - it can be set to a certain percentage of RAM size (75% by default I believe) with the powercfg command.

See here for an example.

Since the hibernate file will contain a compressed image of the used RAM (excluding file/page cache), you can probably get away with a hibernation file not much bigger than 50% of RAM. I currently have it set at 50%.

AFAIK you cannot place the hibernation file anywhere else but the C: drive, but I could be wrong.[/QUOTE]

I agree, but most modern SSD’s are very fast, and hibernation is a waste of precious space, especially if we are talking about 40Gb only.

Merging done sucessfully! I formated C: and merged it to D:. All data still intact :slight_smile: Next thing, installation of SSD (probably tomorrow).

Thanx a lot!

Since you are getting the 40Gig SSD I would highly recomend that you install your software to your spinning drive to save room on the SSD. The more room on the SSD the better the carbage collection with TRIM will work and the longer the SSD will go without loosing some of its speed.

Win7 is pretty smart and will turn-off defrag on the SSD and during the OS install Windows7 will align the SSD correctly, not to worry.

By mistake or not, I got Silicon Power Velox V20 40GB with sandforce controller. Shall I keep it, or make a warranty. I will not open it until I hear from You.

Btw. here is comparision test with X25-V:

http://www.silicon-power.com/tw/event/SSD/EN/page03-1-eng.html

Sandforce controllers are very good (happy owner of a vertex 2), and also very fast, i would prefer the sandforce over the intel,
Maybe [B]Dee[/B] can put her input on controller subject.

OK, I have read some reviews, seems good, I will install drive, and in case of any problems, drive will go back.

40GB is a bit small by today’s standards, although the SandForce controller will make the best use of the 40GB.
As already said, limit the applications that you use a lot to the SSD, and install less used applications and all games to a spinning HDD.
You will need to leave some free space on the SSD, i’d recommend at least 10GB, otherwise the drive will slow down quite a lot.

Thanx for answers!

I installed system on SSD, and it seems pretty good, later I will do some benchmark tests. So, no problems reccomend SandForce controller? I disabled hibernation, now I will move swap to HDD. Shall I use default Microsoft AHCI driver, or to use AMD driver (there are different thoughts did AMD driver support TRIM or not). I am disabling all unnecessery services.

Pagefile moved, now I have about 28GB free on drive. What about write to this drive? I am used to have Downloads folder on C: as my default folder for small downloads. Can I still use it like that?

I saw SSD Tweak utility, I will also run this.

Here is results with msahci and AMD ahci driver. Should I use default Microsoft driver?

You can set your browser to save all your downloads in another destination, i always have them in Z:\Downloads it will save you a lot of time.