Partition image + backup of Program files (on the other partition)?

vbimport

Is there an easier/smarter way to solve this problem?

I have a few hard disks, the 1st one has c:, d: and e: partitions, the c: partition contains only OS (W XP PRO) and swap file. The programs are installed into d:\Program Files and e:\Program Files.

What I need to do is to backup the full c: partition and Program Files folders from the other two partitions.

The only solution I see is to make Ghost image of the c:, d: and e: partitions (separately) and then use Ghost Image Explorer to remove all except Program Files from the last two image files B[/B]. The problem is, shall I be able to restore only the Program Files without destroying the other data on d: and e: partitions?

However, that would take too much time to first create image of everything and then to strip everything but Program Files from two of the images.

I’ve tried to use Volkov Commander (+NTFS Dos Pro 5.0) to copy Program Files to the another hard disk but I got an Exception :-/

All my hard disks are NTFS formatted (250+250+250+500+40 GB). 500 GB hard disk is the destination for the backup files.

I would appreciate any smarter solution.

B[/B]
I do not want to make image/live state from within the Windows, I would prefer the solution to boot some image creation tool/folder backup tool and make a backup from out of the OS.

I am not sure why I got an Exception when trying to copy the Program Files onto another hard disk, I know some Windows folders are protecded (Documents&Settings>Users, My Documents, …) but I think that Program FIles are not protected by Windows?!

Or was it maybe because the hard disk (500 GB) was too big for the Volkov+NTFS Dos Pro 5.0 tool? I could browse the disk normaly despite of NTFS and it’s size.

Perhaps I don’t fully understand but this sounds quite simple to me.

Make a Ghost type image of the C drive. This will backup all your OS and the registry settings needed for each of your installed programs.

Next copy your D:\Program Files and E:\Program Files folders to new folders on another hard drive. No special software needed here. Just use copy/paste of XP.

In the future if you need to restore, just restore your C drive and copy/paste your Program Files back to their original locations on D and E.

RM

Hi, thanks for the response,

I am not sure if I can just copy/paste Program Files from within the running Windows because there is a lot of running programs/processes/services in the background. Some of the programs running in the background may be installed on d: or e:\Program Files and may have some opened files (e.g. .ini files used by some programs instead of Registy entries).

Furthermore, some of the files may be locked so the access to such files would be denied.

I was considering that solution but am afraid that certain files would be corrupt. For instance, Microplanet Gravity (news reader) modifies it’s database files (*. g) only after closing the program itself. Gravity could be easily closed but I have more than 30 tray icons, I am almost sure that there is a lot of opened files from both of the Program Files folders so copy/paste probably wouldn’t work well. There could be even some background scan in the progress, or come hard disk caching still not finished, auto defragmentation, …

I think it has to be made from out of the OS. I know Ghost can make an image from within the Windows, but I don’t want to make Live state (data+RAM+opened processes, …), I’d like to make just disk image file + Program Files folders backup.

Couldn’t you just boot to a XP CD/DVD and then copy/paste? This way none of your programs would be running in the current booted OS. An example that I have only used a time or two is the Bart PE boot disc. Not sure if it will do everything you need for copy/paste but I think it will. In this way your original C:\ OS is not booted and none of your programs will be running.

RM

Imaging C: and simply copying (or zipping) the two Program Files directories when booted from a Windows boot CD should work.

You can use e.g. UBCD for Windows to create your own Windows boot CD.

You could also use another imaging program like Acronis True Image which lets you pick things to backup or things to ignore during backup, but you will have to run from Windows - either your normal Windows installation or from a Windows boot CD with the Acronis BartPE plugin.

[quote=DrageMester;2137592]Imaging C: and simply copying (or zipping) the two Program Files directories when booted from a Windows boot CD should work.

You can use e.g. UBCD for Windows to create your own Windows boot CD.[/quote]

Copying of the Program Files directories is (still) the problem. W XP no longer has [B]Boot to command prompt[/B] option so I tried quite a few file managers (DOS navigator, DOS Command center, File maven, File wizard, …). Only Volkov Commander was able to ‘see’ the NTFS partitions but unfortunately Volkov has no support for long file names so that (probably) was the reason for the exception.

I’ll try to as you’ve told me, however, a verion of DOS with the long file names and NTFS support would be good enough (xcopy /e), I am not sure if FreeDOS could access NTFS partitions with the long filenames suport without too much troubles:

http://fd-doc.sourceforge.net/faq/cgi-bin/viewfaq.cgi?faq=General_Information/164

BTW, all (except 40 GB) of my hard disks are SATA but I can install W XP [B]in SATA 3G[/B] mode [B]without[/B] the need to first install SATA drivers or make slipstreamed installation CD (my controller [B]is not[/B] in the legacy mode). The very same W XP installation disc causes BSOD when trying to instal on some other systems with SATA hard disks.

Yes, I know that, Ghost can also do something similar, but as I’ve said, that is what I would like to avoid.

[B] Thanks for the tip![/B] I’ll reply and report what happened after trying UBCD…

[quote=Chupo_cro;2137637][B]Thanks for the tip![/B] I’ll reply and report what happened after trying UBCD…[/quote] Please note that [I]UBCD[/I] and [I]UBCD for Windows[/I] are two different beasts; UBCD for Windows will allow you to create a Windows boot CD containing Windows XP or Windows Server 2003, depending on which of these installation CDs you have available.

When you boot the Universal Boot CD for Windows, you will have a reduced version of Windows XP/2003 that allows you to access all your harddrives and e.g. copy files to a flash drive or other removable drive.

Since you are not booting from your harddisk, the Program Files directories on your D: and E: drives will not be in use and can be readily copied unless NFTS permissions prevent it.