Partioning a new hdd

i have a partion magic 7.0 and a 40 gig Western Digital…

when i partion it i can only get 37.2 gigs and not the full 40…what am i doing wrong???

i have xp pro and using NTFS…do i need to format the partion??? and do jumper settings have to do with anything???

Due to the rounding issues, ie : 1mb = 1024kb etc etc you HDD always gets reported as a smaller size.

its actually the right size.
just the HDD companies express it in a way to make it sound bigger.

i can give you a more technical explanation if you like…but all you really want to know it that you have done everything right.

congrats.

i have a 20 gig WD that was read at 19.2 now it is at 18.2?? does that sound right??

let me guess…you changed from fat32 to NTFS ?

im 99% sure its to do with the clustor sizes.
nothing is fualty.
relax

alright…nope just NTFS…but o well thanks for your info…those crazy hdd companies

40 gig sounds better and 37.2 gig for marketing preferences!!!

ive got the same wd 40 gig drive and using ntfs i get 37.2 also using ntfs so its normal

Storage Capacity Measurement Standards explains the origin of the two different computer storage capacity systems.

A 20 gigabyte hard drive should be recognized by the system at 20/1.073742= 18.6 GB.

As you can see, that is exactly half of the 37.2 GB being reported by the system for the 40 GB drive, which is correct. :wink:

thanks!!! sounds wonderful!!!

This causes a “200 GB” hard disc to have 186,3 GB :slight_smile: And when the first hard disc reaches one terabyte, you’ll have to divide through 1,0995 instead 1,073.

Which means you’ll “lose” 570 times more disk storage than I had in my first hard drive. Sob!

Originally posted by alexnoe
This causes a “200 GB” hard disc to have 186,3 GB :slight_smile: And when the first hard disc reaches one terabyte, you’ll have to divide through 1,0995 instead 1,073.