Paramount testing early movie releases in digital format

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Paramount testing early movie releases in digital format[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2015/07/Paramount-Logo-Cinema-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]
[quote][/quote]
Read the full article here: http://www.myce.com/news/paramount-testing-early-movie-releases-in-digital-format-76633/

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Won’t it backfire? Pirates need a source to release a pirated copy.  Right now it’s digital or bluray sourced versions that get leaked.   I think it would hurt box office sales, as the digital copies would end up on the internet pretty quick. Â

The Box Office thing works because people know they can’t buy or pirate it for months after it comes out (except for the odd person that can bear watching a version filmed with a cell phone camera).   Releasing them that close together will decrease the incentive to go to the movie theatre?

I think that people are becoming used to having legitimate sources for digital downloads/streaming, through Netflix, Amazon, iTunes Movies, etc. If you provide an early method for people to pay for movies, I think you’ll see a lot of people using these legal sources.

There is a danger that the really big movies will be pirated earlier through this, as you’ve pointed out, and its the reason I believe they will initially be a lot more protective of them. But second tier movies might benefit from the early release program. These are movies you might be mildly interested in, but not confident that the movie will be good, at least not enough to endure the hassle of going to the theater and paying exorbitant prices to see it.

I just hope they don’t price the early downloads the same as the movies cost at the theaters. This will kill the project quickly.

It helps if they do this with movies that nobody will go to a theater to see in the first place. Like: Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension and Scout’s Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse

So what this is REALLY about is trying to scrape more money out of loser films.

the other deciding factors are going to be the price of the download, the speed of the download, the quality of the download and whether it is filled to the brim with DRM! it isn’t a simple matter of just putting a movie on the Internet early ‘as an experiment’, it has to have the right criteria. also, if the movie that’s put out is a load of crap, it wont be downloaded much anyway. i suppose then at least the studio can say ‘well, we put this movie out and no one wanted it hardly, so we dont think it’s worth doing again’! and that move wouldn’t surprise me in the least! the various studios are well known for doing the most ridiculous and hopeless thing and because it then suits, use the results as ‘the norm’!

there will be the risk of the movie then being released on ‘pirate sites’ but if they use their brains instead of their ass to think with, this could be the best move the studios have made in a longtime, a move that should have been made 20years ago but they are the ones that can make it or break it.

there will always be an audience for the theaters, just as there will always be the group that buys the disks. what the studios cant expect to happen is everyone to download the movies, go to the theater and buy the disk. add in their usual completely over-priced attitude and every time it’s gonna fail! the biggest thing they have to weigh up which they know full well is the way they will HAVE to go, is 'shall we screw this up and try to hang on to the theater and the disk and see how much we lose because ‘pirate sites’ give stuff away anyway or DO WE START TO ACTUALLY AND REALLY COMPETE?

theaters are nowhere near as popular as they used to be and hurting customers in the vain attempt to keep them open is not a good strategy. not nice to hear, maybe, but the truth often isn’t!

It’s a double edged sword but there are plenty of people now that don’t go to the cinema and prefer watching movies at home.

Probably a lot of those people would buy these early release digital copies when the availability of pirate copies is likely to be less.

[B]Wombler[/B]

It’s too bad that these downloadable movies are going to be unwatchable, since they will be completely saturated with DRM. People are tired of “buying” (or should I say “renting”) movies that they can’t watch, releasing them a few months earlier won’t help. The only thing that should be making movies unwatchable are there low-quality film making, not BS technological barriers.

Still, it’s nice to see an industry that insists on not learning anything from it’s mistakes trying to better themselves, if only a little bit. For most industries, this would be a fairly conservative move… but for Hollywood, this is probably the most radical, extraordinary thing I’ve seen in a long time.