Paper Sleeves?

vbimport

I recently bought a bunch of Sony DVD-R’s at Staples, and found some Paper Sleeves around my house.

I decided to back up my Computer, which is about 50 DVD’s.

My question is, is it safe to store media in Paper sleeves, and if so how should I store them (By that I mean, on it’s side, or stacked on top of each other?)
Another option I have is to store them on a spindle, in case paper sleeves are bad for my media ;).

Paper sleeves will generally scratch your DVDs and are not recommended for storage except for throw-away discs.

I’d use the cakebox to store the discs instead, unless you need to access the discs severa times - in that case I’d get some DVD cases for storing your discs.

[quote=DrageMester;2040626]Paper sleeves will generally scratch your DVDs and are not recommended for storage except for throw-away discs.

I’d use the cakebox to store the discs instead, unless you need to access the discs severa times - in that case I’d get some DVD cases for storing your discs.[/quote]

I don’t think I’ll ever use the discs unless I have a problem with my Computer, and I should only use the discs once then.

Also, I just found a bunch of my used Jewel cases.
Would it make better sense to use the Jewel cases, or should I stick with the cakebox?

Acronis makes a great back if you have space on one of you drives.

Also so does O&O DiskImage.

Would it make better sense to use the Jewel cases,

Yes.

yo-

I have been using paper sleeves for the past 15 years - and have never scratched a disc with a sleeve yet - depends on how u insert and take the disc out-eh!!

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2040633]yo-

I have been using paper sleeves for the past 15 years - and have never scratched a disc with a sleeve yet - depends on how u insert and take the disc out-eh!![/QUOTE]:stuck_out_tongue: lol

yeah and the quality of them. I have some made by Dynex that work pretty good.

Think my wife got them at Big Lots.

I use slim cases though and the paper sleeves go with my give aways :bigsmile:

depends on how u insert

:eek: :wink: :iagree: :wink: :eek:

How much do new Jewel Slim cases go for now anyway?
I may just go with the cakebox suggestion though it seems less expensive, and I know I have plenty of them ;).

Yo-

IMO - storing on the spindle in a cakebox isn’t a very good idea - at least the sleeves provide a barrier against rubbing on the other discs - and the opportunity to store standing on edge - me - I’m sticking with my tried and true paper sleeves-eh!!

(and the fact that I have about 700 unused ones still in the shipping box)

[quote=bigmike7;2040649]Yo-

IMO - storing on the spindle in a cakebox isn’t a very good idea - at least the sleeves provide a barrier against rubbing on the other discs - and the opportunity to store standing on edge - me - I’m sticking with my tried and true paper sleeves-eh!!

(and the fact that I have about 700 unused ones still in the shipping box)[/quote]

Whats the plus side of having discs standing on edge?

[QUOTE=Silk88;2040672]Whats the plus side of having discs standing on edge?[/QUOTE]

You have to protect the disks from bending too, not just scratching.

Paper sleeves aren’t the best method, but I would say for most situations they’re sufficient. Most back-ups are handled very little, if at all. I’ve yet to come across a disc that sustained any type of significant damage purely because of it being stored in a sleeve. I’ve got some discs in paper sleeves floating around the depths of my computer desk that have been jockying around for years and they are absolutely fine.

Heck you can buy DVD cases on EBay, 100 for $20 which are much safer than paper sleeves IMHO

It seems like they take up a lot of room, but I’ll consider doing that :).

Also, a quick question about DVD Cases: Don’t the DVD’s come out of the cases when moved? I don’t think in my case they will be moved much, but in my experience with those cases, they fall out of the position if dropped and rattle around in the case.

All mine are in Dvd cases & I have never had that happen.