PAPA-PAP6.How to tell?

vbimport

Hi to all you freaks.

I have been reading into the forum for some time and i should say it has been informative and helpful!:clap:

My question is whether there are any differences between a PAPA spindle and a PAP6 one.In otherwords can i tell without opening it?

I did some searching but didn t find any way to discriminate while i read guite a few posts referring to a relevant superiority of the PAPA in general.

Thank you in advance.

As far as I know, the ways to identify Verbatim outside of the spindle only apply to WHO made it. Since CMC makes both disc types with PAPA and PAP6 hub codes [the only difference being in which CMC plant the discs are made], there’s no way to identify the difference unless you can somehow see the hub code without opening the spindle.

Albert is correct the only way to tell is if you can see the hub code to see if it is PAPA or PAP6 discs
the outside of the package will only tell you if they are MIT or MII but no mention of whither they are
PAPA / PAP6 discs. :disagree:

[B]100pack[/B] ( MIT / [B]PAP6[/B] / New Packaging ) Bestbuy / Micro Center / Sams Club
[B]50pack [/B]( MIT / [B]PAPA[/B] / New Packaging ) Besybuy / Micro Center

Thank you for confirming.

So are the papa superior to the pap6 at present times?I am mainly concerned about burn quality.Having some discs that fail to burn without error is ok.

By the way i have a pioneer dvr-215d and a samsung sh-s203p(thanks to cdfreaks) and i cant scan with either.I also fear taking the step into the paranoia of burn quality scanning-excuse my language-.

Scanning with your Samsung: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f105/mini-faq-samsung-dvd-writers-220607/

Yes, some believe the PAPA are superior to the PAP6, just in that PAPA discs are more consistent in their higher quality. It’s all still really good Verbatim, so I wouldn’t stress about not being able to get any…some of the best scans I’ve seen have been PAP6. :iagree: None of them should fail, as long as you don’t run across a bad batch.

I am afraid I BEAT MY FEAR.I m gonna do a scan in 5 minutes with the samsung.
By the way is it considered a good scanner?
Also which are the ranges of values in cd dvdspeed that indicate a good burn?

Thank you again.
Albert you made my day!

Generally, you want no more than 2000 PIF at the most on a full single-layer disc, with a maximum height of 4. I am unsure about PIE.

A few good articles to read [will take a while]: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f76/interpreting-pi-po-error-scans-80545/

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f96/cdfreaks-presents-home-pi-pif-scanning-article-193873/

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f96/precision-accuracy-reliability-disc-quality-pi-po-jitter-tests-163379/

Just for reference, your Samsung drive is closest to any LiteOn DVDRW drives mentioned in the above articles. :wink:

Isn’t there a general code structure for PAPA and PAP 6 discs?

For example, I was reading that the back outer ring code on recent MIT Verbatim’s are in the format of ZDxxxx-DVR-xxxx while the inner ring starts with a numeric code. The inner ring on the older MIT Verbatim MCC004’s starting with PAPA.

Do the MII discs have different values for “xxxx” above? The same can be asked of PAPA vs. PAP6? How can you tell even from the code? Looking at an old MCC004 I see the inner ring code starts with “PAPA09” and after a series of numbers, there’s a space with a 6.

I’ve also noticed that the new MIT Verbatim’s aren’t stamped with the following in white print on the front ring above and below the hole like the old MCC00’s were:

Verbatim
DVD +R 16x

Instead, the design and font on the disc have changed.

If it’s not too much, perhaps some of you can post a code structure.
I know it’s not that easy. You practically have to put the disc under a microscope to read it.

Is there any site that lists inner ring code numbers with a lookup table for manufacturer?

[QUOTE=WiltonParmenter;2124367]Isn’t there a general code structure for PAPA and PAP 6 discs?[/QUOTE] Uhh, those ARE part of the codes. They’re two examples of the structure of the first 4 alphanumeric characters in hub codes of all CMC discs.

For example, I was reading that the back outer ring code on recent MIT Verbatim’s are in the format of ZDxxxx-DVR-xxxx while the inner ring starts with a numeric code.
All of Verbatim’s media has that ZDxxx… code, although more recent batches have been showing up with ZExxx…; this has nothing to do with which manufacturer made it [I don’t think; would love to be proven wrong].

For the inner code: if it’s made by CMC, it will always have PAPx [for 16x MCC DVD+R]. The ones starting with numbers are either Prodisc or MBI.

The inner ring on the older MIT Verbatim MCC004’s starting with PAPA.
As do some newer discs; it depends on which CMC plant the discs come from, if the discs come from CMC.
Do the MII discs have different values for “xxxx” above?
Probably…I’d imagine they change per disc.
The same can be asked of PAPA vs. PAP6?
Probably, but again, I think it changes per disc.
How can you tell even from the code?
You don’t look at the ZD/ZE code to try to figure out if it’s PAPx, etc. You have to look at the inner code that says it. :wink:
Looking at an old MCC004 I see the inner ring code starts with “PAPA09” and after a series of numbers, there’s a space with a 6.
Then it’s PAPA. You’re doing the first 4 letters [if it’s CMC]. That’s what you see when people refer to PAPA, PAP6, MAP7, etc.
I’ve also noticed that the new MIT Verbatim’s aren’t stamped with the following in white print on the front ring above and below the hole like the old MCC00’s were:

Verbatim
DVD +R 16x

Instead, the design and font on the disc have changed.
Yes, this is what the call the “neo-Verbatim” design. We noticed it a while back [search here in the Blank Media forum. :)]
Is there any site that lists inner ring code numbers with a lookup table for manufacturer?

Search the blank media forum…you will eventually find a post which tells you the general structure of the inner hub code vs who made it. And there are only 3 options…Prodisc, CMC, and MBI. You already know how to identify CMC. If you get made in Taiwan, with those numbers, it’s Prodisc. If you get made in India, it’s MBI. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Albert;2124482]UAll of Verbatim’s media has that ZDxxx… code, although more recent batches have been showing up with ZExxx…; this has nothing to do with which manufacturer made it [I don’t think; would love to be proven wrong]. [/QUOTE]

I’d like to be able to, but I can’t :stuck_out_tongue: You are quite correct in this matter. The ZC/ZD/ZE codes are used by all the manufacturers of MCC media; for instance I have had MCC003 with the stamper code ZD1331-DVR-X47B made by CMC and Prodisc.

A little edit of my own accord [shouldn’t type so much so early in the morning]:

Probably…I’d imagine they change per disc.

Probably, but again, I think it changes per disc.
Just ignore that…it does change, but not quite that often. [See 2D’s post above].