Pandora's future in delicate balance

vbimport

As a follow up to the Pandora-related article published on CDFreaks earlier, we again chatted with Pandora founder Tim Westergren, who cleared up some more details regarding Pandora and its future.

Music listeners have been curious about Pandora’s fate for a few months now, with the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) and Pandora attempting to figure out a fair royalty rate for both sides. The main problem, of course, is that Pandora and the RIAA have “very different ideas” about what is fair. The RIAA and other music trade groups recently came to an agreement with Internet radio broadcasters, but only sites such as Napster To Go, Rhapsody and imeem.com were included in the agreement.

However, legislation to help give both sides of the Pandora feud more time to reach an agreement, H.R. 7084, is supported by both sides, but is facing stiff competition from the National Association of Broadcasters.
Taken from the CDFreaks front page

The plot thickens…

I hope Pandora comes out of this unscathed, especially since the RIAA and Pandora were working together, but I am not too sure… :frowning:

I really like Pandora better than any other station I’ve listened to. I like the way you can customize what you want to listen to and can have several different stations set up for your different listening moods and all of it free. I hope it works out.

Well, the Pandora founder does want your help (if you have a couple of minutes): http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/15067-Pandora-calls-for-help-from-listeners.html